5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

JeffEastcoast

Reaction score
Cancel the "Now it is working and it was just the back up camera".

Dead once again. Maybe 4 days sitting. Went to get in with the unlock on the key-fob and nothing. Batter back down to 4.8 volts. Dealer was terrible to work with (200 miles away and they said I would have to bring it back where I purchased it) gave them a "what the heck" look and they "allowed" me to have it serviced (302 miles NEW btw).

Replaced the camera, did not replace the batter, and now it is dead again.

Strike two.

I am seriously beginning to doubt my purchase.....

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Dead once again. Maybe 4 days sitting. Went to get in with the unlock on the key-fob and nothing. Batter back down to 4.8 volts. Dealer was terrible to work with (200 miles away and they said I would have to bring it back where I purchased it) gave them a "what the heck" look and they "allowed" me to have it serviced (302 miles NEW btw).

Strike two.

Sounds like you either have a bad battery or you have a drain on your electrical system.

Looks like Mopar might have got a bad batch of Lead Acid Batteries. :unsure:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thusfar no battery troubles.
2018 November build date Rebel, custom ordered for me, never sat on the lot.

The truck also doesn't go more than 1-3 days without being driven,
I've not done any mods related to the electrical systems

JeffEastcoast

Reaction score
Battery has been replaced, and seems to have fixed the issue! The dealer had charged the old battery, and then tested it saying "we could find nothing wrong" with the battery. However, after pushing (and presumably not wanting me to bring the truck in a 3rd time) they replaced it.

It has been two weeks, and the truck has not had any issues with holding a charge.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 33 months old and 47,000 miles no problem so far.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047090 miles.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After 33 months old and 47,000 miles no problem so far.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047090 miles.
Nice to hear. Perhaps the 47,000 miles help with the charging. I had 21,000 at 2+ years when it was replaced.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019, bought in September 2018 straight off the delivery truck. My battery died last month; so about 2.5 years after manufacture. There were no signs of failure coming. I went to start it one day and everything went haywire (plus wouldn't start). I decided to just go buy an EverStart AGM battery at Walmart rather than to go the warranty route. The stock battery in my Laramie was a cheap Lead Acid; so it probably would have only gotten 3 years at best anyway. It probably would have lasted longer if I had not been working from home since October; but short trips and sitting for long periods sealed its fate (only drove 800 miles between October 2020 and February 2021).

19 North

Reaction score
19 north edition purchased 12/20. It had the battery replaced before it was sold. I can’t find the exact date in my phone, but it was 6-8 months old.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice to hear. Perhaps the 47,000 miles help with the charging. I had 21,000 at 2+ years when it was replaced.
Could be. Mine gets a lot of road time for sure, and short trip and long periods of inoperation are not conducive to long battery life. But based on the number of these premature occurrences suddenly being reported, I'm more suspicious of a component quality issue. In the last year or so I know five people with cars that have had premature battery replacements: 2 Hondas, 1 Nissan, 1 Silverado, and 1 Traverse. I think the oldest one was just over a year old. Common supplier? Maybe.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047141 miles.

7.62fmj

Reaction score
I think this is beyond Ram. My 17 Wrangler went through 2 oem batteries in the first 3 years. I'm on my third battery now (from Autozone)

JeffEastcoast

Reaction score

Strike two.

Battery has been replaced, and seems to have fixed the issue! The dealer had charged the old battery, and then tested it saying "we could find nothing wrong" with the battery. However, after pushing (and presumably not wanting me to bring the truck in a 3rd time) they replaced it.

It has been two weeks, and the truck has not had any issues with holding a charge.
Yup, it's dead again! Just had it towed to the dealer for another round of no starting/dead battery. Repair try #3 on my NEW truck with 700 miles on it. There has to be an intermittent parasitic draw that is causing the battery to drain to nothing.

My 2018 Ford F-150 sent me a text message and told me that the Ford app would be going into sleep mode and not allow remote starts to save battery life. You could also monitor the battery voltage remotely. This UConnect app seems pretty useless if it doesn't alert you to low battery conditions.

At any rate, there is a definite problem. I don't imagine two batteries would be bad and just allow the truck to die.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, it's dead again! Just had it towed to the dealer for another round of no starting/dead battery. Repair try #3 on my NEW truck with 700 miles on it. There has to be an intermittent parasitic draw that is causing the battery to drain to nothing.

My 2018 Ford F-150 sent me a text message and told me that the Ford app would be going into sleep mode and not allow remote starts to save battery life. You could also monitor the battery voltage remotely. This UConnect app seems pretty useless if it doesn't alert you to low battery conditions.

At any rate, there is a definite problem. I don't imagine two batteries would be bad and just allow the truck to die.

Hope they can find and fix it.

If not...Lemon Law?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

My car alarm does this too. I guess we shouldn’t have to add aftermarket things to do something that it could come from the factory with.

19 North

Reaction score

I’ve seen a bad alternator kill a battery like that. It’ll charge just like normal, but when the truck is parked it will discharge the battery.
When you get it back let it cool to ambient temp, then put your hand on the alternator and see if it’s warm.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen a bad alternator kill a battery like that. It’ll charge just like normal, but when the truck is parked it will discharge the battery.
When you get it back let it cool to ambient temp, then put your hand on the alternator and see if it’s warm.
Funny...same thing on a much different car. I traced circuit after circuit, to no avail. It was the alternator. One of the diodes had gone bad, so it allowed a drain. My new technique for vampire drains is to first disconnect the alternator...and THEN perform any needed checks.

Users who are viewing this thread