5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Vault - In Vehicle Safe Review

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the exception of the Lock'er Down Exxtreme console safe which has the 10 gauge steel plate welded to the lid that covers the seams eliminating pry points.

Camelot

Reaction score
I like the idea of having this, although I don't know when I would use it. I carry everywhere. Maybe if the car sits at the airport a few days it would be useful Besides a firearm, what do you guys put in the safe?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the idea of having this, although I don't know when I would use it. I carry everywhere. Maybe if the car sits at the airport a few days it would be useful Besides a firearm, what do you guys put in the safe?
All of my GOLD and SILVER that William Devane keeps telling me to buy.....

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the exception of the Lock'er Down Exxtreme console safe which has the 10 gauge steel plate welded to the lid that covers the seams eliminating pry points.
To each their own...for us, the 12-gauge Console Vault held strong despite the fools trying to damned near jackhammer it out of the console. They got nothing. With that said, the price delta is significant if that makes a difference to the OP.

Lock'er Down has the 12-gauge version (LD2078) which you can add the optional 10-gauge top for $329 plus a $40 upgrade fee for a total of $369 (discount codes may be available)

Console Vault offers the 12-gauge version for $299 (use CVLOVE20 for a 20% discount making it $239.20) - discount is good Feb 11 to 17 (and no, I don't work for them nor am I associated with them as I found the discount code online. They run them all the time...in fact, we got all of ours back when they were $169 each...danged inflation!)

Last edited:

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To each their own...for us, the 12-gauge Console Vault held strong despite the fools trying to damned near jackhammer it out of the console. They got nothing. With that said, the price delta is significant if that makes a difference to the OP.

Lock'er Down has the 12-gauge version (LD2078) which you can add the optional 10-gauge top for $329 plus a $40 upgrade fee for a total of $369 (discount codes may be available)

Console Vault offers the 12-gauge version for $299 (use CVLOVE20 for a 20% discount making it $239.20) - discount is good Feb 11 to 17 (and no, I don't work for them nor am I associated with them as I found the discount code online. They run them all the time...in fact, we got all of ours back when they were $169 each...danged inflation!)

I don't doubt the effectiveness of the Console Vault. Just adding info.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Firearm when going into places where it's illegal to carry and my wife keeps her "toll money" stash in it as well.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I recently ordered and installed the Console Vault on my 2021 Laramie 1500...Absolutely perfect and flawless fit. It creates the barrier and provides more than adequate security for my firearm or other valuables when needed. Yes, a little expensive. But high quality and agree with NorthStar

SDRAM19

Reaction score
Mine slipped right on in and fit like a glove. I got the electronic combination lock and extra steel reinforcement. No issues with sliding center console on my Laramie 2019. Wasn't too fond of cutting out the rubber mat and breaking the locking tabs though.

Last edited:

Code2medic

Reaction score
One of the many things I love about my truck is the well thought out center console. One of the first things I wanted to do was install a lock box in the cavernous but unused area under the arm rest in the console. There seem to be a few manufacturers that make fairly similar designs.

I originally looked at the Lock’er Down offering but wasn’t thrilled that it looked like I would have to break those tabs in the console and cut the rubber mat to still use it. From what I saw with the Mopar branded box, it was only available with a key lock which didn’t interest me. Leaving the key in the truck defeats the purpose and not having the key on me when I needed it wasn’t worth the chance to me.

The Console Vault model caught my eye because it had notches to fit around those tabs and didn’t need anything cut or removed from the console to fit. The available combination lock and spring-loaded lid fit exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see a lot about this particular brand around the forum (which I don’t know if that is good or bad) so I thought I’d share my experience for anyone in a similar position trying to make a decision.

I ordered the Console Vault with the 3 digit lock directly from their website. It shipped quickly (I’m spoiled by one-day shipping from Amazon and almost dread ordering other places...which I feel like is exactly what Amazon wants me to think) and got to me in just a few days.

View attachment 39427
It was packaged nice and secure and had a fair heft to it. Console Vault doesn’t list a specific metal thickness but it is definitely stout enough that it would require tools and a fair bit of force to deform. The eagle-eyed among you will notice I was shipped the 4 digit lock (a $35 option when ordering) instead of the 3 digit lock. I don’t know if there’s a physical difference in lock strength between the two but the site does say the 4 digit is “higher security” and “all metal construction“...whether that makes the other lock low security and not all metal I can’t say.

View attachment 39428

Installation was literally drop-in. Like I said, no modification or tab breaking was needed. There’s two decent sized self-tapping screws on each side that secure the vault in place. The flip-up divider in the console doesn’t need to be removed. You just put it in the raised position and the front side of vault fits tightly behind it.

The sliding tray in the console works without issue. It is noted on the site that Longhorn and Limited trucks won’t be so lucky.

View attachment 39429

Here you can see a Glock 19 for scale. It’s plenty spacious enough to toss in a couple more full size handguns or anything else you might want to lock up. It still has the factory mat underneath. The spring loaded hinge lifts and holds the lid out of the way.

Also visible are two of the four screws. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren’t just screw holes but actual threaded inserts welded to the inside vault walls. This made installing the screws incredibly easy and kept them exactly perpendicular to the wall. Additionally, this virtually eliminates any chance of being able to lift the whole vault out of the console without removing the screws. There’s no way for the screws to pivot and pull out of the plastic of the console. The screws would either need to shear off outside the vault or cut four paths through the console all the of the way out. In my opinion it’s just a small detail that could have easily been omitted but instead speaks to the build quality.

On the subject of build quality, the lid is well-designed and fits tight enough to the frame that a pry tool can’t be inserted. I’m sure a tool could be hammered in but the shape of the lid would result in more lateral pry force than the vertical direction needed to pry the lid up. On the front side of the vault where the lid closes and latches, there’s a lip that would limit the depth a tool could be inserted and would also resist the edge of the lid being folded in to create an area a pry tool could hook onto and lift from.

In my uneducated opinion, the most likely point of attack and the weakest part of the vault is the lock. I have seen a video someone made of a defeated Console Vault and the lock was indeed the failure point. On that particular model of truck the vault appeared to sit higher and closer to the armrest lid which allowed more angles to try and get leverage for prying than the deep consoles in our trucks would. The vault was pretty beat up but the thief was eventually able to access it by punching the lock through the lid and down into the vault.

The pivoting lock bar was connected to the shaft of the lock with a clearly MIM part that broke. A solid steel connection would have bent and not failed in the same way. That said, I doubt that alone would have changed the outcome. Once the lock was punched through the lid the lock bar could be pulled out if it hadn’t broken off. I don’t know if that was the “new and improved” lock touted on the website, but regardless I still feel the lock is the biggest vulnerability.

Any locked container can be defeated by the right combination of tools, time, and talent. I am confident this vault would survive a smash-and-grab or any other thief short of one who came prepared with the right tools and didn’t care about making a lot of noise.

For $270 I got a nicely built lock box made from sufficiently thick steel and a well-thought out design that fits perfectly in the truck while being smartly shaped to dissuade virtually every possible angle of attack.

I hope this information was helpful and let me know if I can answer any questions or if more pictures arewanted.
To each is their own i cant trust anything that can be opened in a few seconds. Secondly if im carrying its staying with me at all times. Expect the unexpected when it comes to leaving tour vehicle out in public.

I know there are those who will say well if you have to leave it in the car its secure sorry if im carrying i only go to places that allow me to continue to carry.

ThorJeep

Reaction score
To each is their own i cant trust anything that can be opened in a few seconds. Secondly if im carrying its staying with me at all times. Expect the unexpected when it comes to leaving tour vehicle out in public.

I know there are those who will say well if you have to leave it in the car its secure sorry if im carrying i only go to places that allow me to continue to carry.
I have family in CA, so I forget the combo when I am there :)

Code2medic

Reaction score
One of the many things I love about my truck is the well thought out center console. One of the first things I wanted to do was install a lock box in the cavernous but unused area under the arm rest in the console. There seem to be a few manufacturers that make fairly similar designs.

I originally looked at the Lock’er Down offering but wasn’t thrilled that it looked like I would have to break those tabs in the console and cut the rubber mat to still use it. From what I saw with the Mopar branded box, it was only available with a key lock which didn’t interest me. Leaving the key in the truck defeats the purpose and not having the key on me when I needed it wasn’t worth the chance to me.

The Console Vault model caught my eye because it had notches to fit around those tabs and didn’t need anything cut or removed from the console to fit. The available combination lock and spring-loaded lid fit exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see a lot about this particular brand around the forum (which I don’t know if that is good or bad) so I thought I’d share my experience for anyone in a similar position trying to make a decision.

I ordered the Console Vault with the 3 digit lock directly from their website. It shipped quickly (I’m spoiled by one-day shipping from Amazon and almost dread ordering other places...which I feel like is exactly what Amazon wants me to think) and got to me in just a few days.

View attachment 39427
It was packaged nice and secure and had a fair heft to it. Console Vault doesn’t list a specific metal thickness but it is definitely stout enough that it would require tools and a fair bit of force to deform. The eagle-eyed among you will notice I was shipped the 4 digit lock (a $35 option when ordering) instead of the 3 digit lock. I don’t know if there’s a physical difference in lock strength between the two but the site does say the 4 digit is “higher security” and “all metal construction“...whether that makes the other lock low security and not all metal I can’t say.

View attachment 39428

Installation was literally drop-in. Like I said, no modification or tab breaking was needed. There’s two decent sized self-tapping screws on each side that secure the vault in place. The flip-up divider in the console doesn’t need to be removed. You just put it in the raised position and the front side of vault fits tightly behind it.

The sliding tray in the console works without issue. It is noted on the site that Longhorn and Limited trucks won’t be so lucky.

View attachment 39429

Here you can see a Glock 19 for scale. It’s plenty spacious enough to toss in a couple more full size handguns or anything else you might want to lock up. It still has the factory mat underneath. The spring loaded hinge lifts and holds the lid out of the way.

Also visible are two of the four screws. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren’t just screw holes but actual threaded inserts welded to the inside vault walls. This made installing the screws incredibly easy and kept them exactly perpendicular to the wall. Additionally, this virtually eliminates any chance of being able to lift the whole vault out of the console without removing the screws. There’s no way for the screws to pivot and pull out of the plastic of the console. The screws would either need to shear off outside the vault or cut four paths through the console all the of the way out. In my opinion it’s just a small detail that could have easily been omitted but instead speaks to the build quality.

On the subject of build quality, the lid is well-designed and fits tight enough to the frame that a pry tool can’t be inserted. I’m sure a tool could be hammered in but the shape of the lid would result in more lateral pry force than the vertical direction needed to pry the lid up. On the front side of the vault where the lid closes and latches, there’s a lip that would limit the depth a tool could be inserted and would also resist the edge of the lid being folded in to create an area a pry tool could hook onto and lift from.

In my uneducated opinion, the most likely point of attack and the weakest part of the vault is the lock. I have seen a video someone made of a defeated Console Vault and the lock was indeed the failure point. On that particular model of truck the vault appeared to sit higher and closer to the armrest lid which allowed more angles to try and get leverage for prying than the deep consoles in our trucks would. The vault was pretty beat up but the thief was eventually able to access it by punching the lock through the lid and down into the vault.

The pivoting lock bar was connected to the shaft of the lock with a clearly MIM part that broke. A solid steel connection would have bent and not failed in the same way. That said, I doubt that alone would have changed the outcome. Once the lock was punched through the lid the lock bar could be pulled out if it hadn’t broken off. I don’t know if that was the “new and improved” lock touted on the website, but regardless I still feel the lock is the biggest vulnerability.

Any locked container can be defeated by the right combination of tools, time, and talent. I am confident this vault would survive a smash-and-grab or any other thief short of one who came prepared with the right tools and didn’t care about making a lot of noise.

For $270 I got a nicely built lock box made from sufficiently thick steel and a well-thought out design that fits perfectly in the truck while being smartly shaped to dissuade virtually every possible angle of attack.

I hope this information was helpful and let me know if I can answer any questions or if more pictures arewanted.
I just cant justify one of them even more so now seeing the marks it left on the leather holster from the lid.

Safest place for my weapon is on my waist i dont go into places that restrict them.

Ryan_1

Reaction score
I saw the central control safe unlocked by the fingerprint. I don't know how it is.

W Six

Reaction score
Generally I liked this vaults...but two small screws...I'm not diggin it!

Beatle9999

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the console vault on a limited? To see what fits in the space?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've considered the Tuffy Security lid for the rear in floor storage. I like that storage area because the average crack head breaking into your vehicle may not even know the storage area exists and it's mostly covered by the floor mat.

The only time I leave my CCW in the vehicle is if I'm going into a facility where the consequences of being discovered with it are serious.

Then center console storage area is so deep and far behind me I feel like I need to be a contortionist to reach it and the requirement to open a lock would just make it worse.

tuffy-ram1500-rear-in-floor-storage-security-lid-357-01.R110920.jpg

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the console vault on a limited? To see what fits in the space?

No because they don’t fit one that fits the limited unless you switch to the more basic cup holder (without the lid)

However

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beatle9999

Reaction score
No because they don’t fit one that fits the limited unless you switch to the more basic cup holder (without the lid)

However

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe they make a low
Profile option now. For the Limited.

Users who are viewing this thread