5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Vault - In Vehicle Safe Review

OG_Beaker

Reaction score
+1 for Lock'erDown vaults. I just finished installing their extreme version (they upgraded me for free due to a delay in shipping) in my '19 1500 limited. Install was easy, and the tabs came off intact. I made the choice to cut the mat, but honestly, it's a cheap replacement if I wanted to put it back in, and I could even just lay the other side back down if I really wanted to since the cut was right on the seam where the flip-down divider went (which was also removed). 100% happy with the customer service and the product. I used the group buy option (thanks securityguy) to get the discount, free light, and magnet.

Untitled.jpg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for Lock'erDown vaults. I just finished installing their extreme version (they upgraded me for free due to a delay in shipping) in my '19 1500 limited. Install was easy, and the tabs came off intact. I made the choice to cut the mat, but honestly, it's a cheap replacement if I wanted to put it back in, and I could even just lay the other side back down if I really wanted to since the cut was right on the seam where the flip-down divider went (which was also removed). 100% happy with the customer service and the product. I used the group buy option (thanks securityguy) to get the discount, free light, and magnet.

View attachment 101984
Would you mind telling me how wide this safe is? There appears to be some question as to whether it works in a TRX.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Would you mind telling me how wide this safe is? There appears to be some question as to whether it works in a TRX.
Their website says it doesn’t fit in a TRX. I would shoot them an email. They are pretty quick to respond.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Their website says it doesn’t fit in a TRX. I would shoot them an email. They are pretty quick to respond.
From what I’m told, they’re asking a few TRX owners if they will come by (so they can measure). It’s not clear to me if it DOESNT work, or they just don’t know IF it will work. That’s why I was asking for a measurement. I wasn’t aware that there were any differences in the cab of the TRX (vs. a regular DT).

OG_Beaker

Reaction score

Sure thing. Here are some measurements eyeballed with a cloth tape. Fair disclaimer: I did not bust out the calipers or take out the safe to measure it, but these numbers are to the closest 1/8th hash on the tape.

64979201840__51FF4B09-CC59-403D-97C1-9110DB3EC73B.JPG

Depth is around 2" at the "front" and 3.25" at the "back" (the console floor is uneven). Hope that helps!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure thing. Here are some measurements eyeballed with a cloth tape. Fair disclaimer: I did not bust out the calipers or take out the safe to measure it, but these numbers are to the closest 1/8th hash on the tape.

View attachment 102388

Depth is around 2" at the "front" and 3.25" at the "back" (the console floor is uneven). Hope that helps!
Thanks!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure is nice when YOU have a valid concern and someone is nice enough to HELP you out and not give you a d o u ch e answer, isn't it.
You are a tool
What are you talking about?

And for what it's worth, I'm trying to HELP SOMEONE ELSE OUT with these measurements.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure is nice when YOU have a valid concern and someone is nice enough to HELP you out and not give you a d o u ch e answer, isn't it.
You are a tool
Oh wait, you're mad about the hamster comment on your squeaky pedal post, aren't you? Just having a little fun - not sure why you got upset about it. If I had the solution for your issue, I would have given it.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand your point. However, removing the tabs is super simple and you'll never use or need them again anyway. I also like the digital keypad since it's a ton easier to get to versus having to pull out a key or turn 3 or 4 thumb wheels in an emergency. Personal preference I guess, but I like the Lock'erDown units options far better and the additional security of the Exxtreme with an additional 10 gauge plate attached. Eitherway, you can't go wrong with either. I put together the LD group-buy since that was my preference.
Is the group buy still available?

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question though... you get a tougher safe. A thief tries harder to get into it. How much value of damage to your truck does he do in comparison to the value of what is in the safe?

I would use mine for the times I might run into someplace I couldn't carry like going in the courthouse for something (bank or liquor store do not count since they just have to ask you to leave) . It's not like I would store a $5000 collectible pistol and a pound of gold bullion in the console while I parked in the projects for a week and went to Hawaii.
Give a thief enough time they can get into anything. I’m also of the thought that I need ready access so my firearm is always on me…..with a few exceptions….my main use would be to lock it up when I’m around my grandkids, they can be nosy and curious but they can’t weld a crowbar…yet!

MarneTpt92

Reaction score
I was just on console vault’s site and am seeing reviews that the front of the lock box relies on the plastic divider to prevent access… can anyone confirm if purchased recently? I know this is an older thread, but seems they may have changed construction to plastic sides and an open front (per a few reviews on their site).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was just on console vault’s site and am seeing reviews that the front of the lock box relies on the plastic divider to prevent access… can anyone confirm if purchased recently? I know this is an older thread, but seems they may have changed construction to plastic sides and an open front (per a few reviews on their site).
Buy the Locker Down safe and call it a day. There is no better safe for these trucks.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That review is BS…the divider has to be flipped up so the until sits down in the console flush and it is solid steel all the way around. I’ve owned nothing but Console Vault for ten years and have them installed in all our family trucks (Rams and one Ford), and they’ve never failed when when some a$$ broke into our Laramie - they tried but got nothing from Console Vault. And yes, Console Vault like Locker Down is made from 12 gauge steel. Most others are 16 gauge steel.

Users who are viewing this thread