5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console Vault - In Vehicle Safe Review

theeuroguy

Reaction score
One of the many things I love about my truck is the well thought out center console. One of the first things I wanted to do was install a lock box in the cavernous but unused area under the arm rest in the console. There seem to be a few manufacturers that make fairly similar designs.

I originally looked at the Lock’er Down offering but wasn’t thrilled that it looked like I would have to break those tabs in the console and cut the rubber mat to still use it. From what I saw with the Mopar branded box, it was only available with a key lock which didn’t interest me. Leaving the key in the truck defeats the purpose and not having the key on me when I needed it wasn’t worth the chance to me.

The Console Vault model caught my eye because it had notches to fit around those tabs and didn’t need anything cut or removed from the console to fit. The available combination lock and spring-loaded lid fit exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see a lot about this particular brand around the forum (which I don’t know if that is good or bad) so I thought I’d share my experience for anyone in a similar position trying to make a decision.

I ordered the Console Vault with the 3 digit lock directly from their website. It shipped quickly (I’m spoiled by one-day shipping from Amazon and almost dread ordering other places...which I feel like is exactly what Amazon wants me to think) and got to me in just a few days.

View attachment 39427
It was packaged nice and secure and had a fair heft to it. Console Vault doesn’t list a specific metal thickness but it is definitely stout enough that it would require tools and a fair bit of force to deform. The eagle-eyed among you will notice I was shipped the 4 digit lock (a $35 option when ordering) instead of the 3 digit lock. I don’t know if there’s a physical difference in lock strength between the two but the site does say the 4 digit is “higher security” and “all metal construction“...whether that makes the other lock low security and not all metal I can’t say.

View attachment 39428

Installation was literally drop-in. Like I said, no modification or tab breaking was needed. There’s two decent sized self-tapping screws on each side that secure the vault in place. The flip-up divider in the console doesn’t need to be removed. You just put it in the raised position and the front side of vault fits tightly behind it.

The sliding tray in the console works without issue. It is noted on the site that Longhorn and Limited trucks won’t be so lucky.

View attachment 39429

Here you can see a Glock 19 for scale. It’s plenty spacious enough to toss in a couple more full size handguns or anything else you might want to lock up. It still has the factory mat underneath. The spring loaded hinge lifts and holds the lid out of the way.

Also visible are two of the four screws. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren’t just screw holes but actual threaded inserts welded to the inside vault walls. This made installing the screws incredibly easy and kept them exactly perpendicular to the wall. Additionally, this virtually eliminates any chance of being able to lift the whole vault out of the console without removing the screws. There’s no way for the screws to pivot and pull out of the plastic of the console. The screws would either need to shear off outside the vault or cut four paths through the console all the of the way out. In my opinion it’s just a small detail that could have easily been omitted but instead speaks to the build quality.

On the subject of build quality, the lid is well-designed and fits tight enough to the frame that a pry tool can’t be inserted. I’m sure a tool could be hammered in but the shape of the lid would result in more lateral pry force than the vertical direction needed to pry the lid up. On the front side of the vault where the lid closes and latches, there’s a lip that would limit the depth a tool could be inserted and would also resist the edge of the lid being folded in to create an area a pry tool could hook onto and lift from.

In my uneducated opinion, the most likely point of attack and the weakest part of the vault is the lock. I have seen a video someone made of a defeated Console Vault and the lock was indeed the failure point. On that particular model of truck the vault appeared to sit higher and closer to the armrest lid which allowed more angles to try and get leverage for prying than the deep consoles in our trucks would. The vault was pretty beat up but the thief was eventually able to access it by punching the lock through the lid and down into the vault.

The pivoting lock bar was connected to the shaft of the lock with a clearly MIM part that broke. A solid steel connection would have bent and not failed in the same way. That said, I doubt that alone would have changed the outcome. Once the lock was punched through the lid the lock bar could be pulled out if it hadn’t broken off. I don’t know if that was the “new and improved” lock touted on the website, but regardless I still feel the lock is the biggest vulnerability.

Any locked container can be defeated by the right combination of tools, time, and talent. I am confident this vault would survive a smash-and-grab or any other thief short of one who came prepared with the right tools and didn’t care about making a lot of noise.

For $270 I got a nicely built lock box made from sufficiently thick steel and a well-thought out design that fits perfectly in the truck while being smartly shaped to dissuade virtually every possible angle of attack.

I hope this information was helpful and let me know if I can answer any questions or if more pictures arewanted.
Your write-up was great, primary reason I looked into the Console Vault and purchased one. Thanks 😊 installed this afternoon, easy to install even for someone like me, with 10 thumbs.

Code2medic

Reaction score
One of the many things I love about my truck is the well thought out center console. One of the first things I wanted to do was install a lock box in the cavernous but unused area under the arm rest in the console. There seem to be a few manufacturers that make fairly similar designs.

I originally looked at the Lock’er Down offering but wasn’t thrilled that it looked like I would have to break those tabs in the console and cut the rubber mat to still use it. From what I saw with the Mopar branded box, it was only available with a key lock which didn’t interest me. Leaving the key in the truck defeats the purpose and not having the key on me when I needed it wasn’t worth the chance to me.

The Console Vault model caught my eye because it had notches to fit around those tabs and didn’t need anything cut or removed from the console to fit. The available combination lock and spring-loaded lid fit exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see a lot about this particular brand around the forum (which I don’t know if that is good or bad) so I thought I’d share my experience for anyone in a similar position trying to make a decision.

I ordered the Console Vault with the 3 digit lock directly from their website. It shipped quickly (I’m spoiled by one-day shipping from Amazon and almost dread ordering other places...which I feel like is exactly what Amazon wants me to think) and got to me in just a few days.

View attachment 39427
It was packaged nice and secure and had a fair heft to it. Console Vault doesn’t list a specific metal thickness but it is definitely stout enough that it would require tools and a fair bit of force to deform. The eagle-eyed among you will notice I was shipped the 4 digit lock (a $35 option when ordering) instead of the 3 digit lock. I don’t know if there’s a physical difference in lock strength between the two but the site does say the 4 digit is “higher security” and “all metal construction“...whether that makes the other lock low security and not all metal I can’t say.

View attachment 39428

Installation was literally drop-in. Like I said, no modification or tab breaking was needed. There’s two decent sized self-tapping screws on each side that secure the vault in place. The flip-up divider in the console doesn’t need to be removed. You just put it in the raised position and the front side of vault fits tightly behind it.

The sliding tray in the console works without issue. It is noted on the site that Longhorn and Limited trucks won’t be so lucky.

View attachment 39429

Here you can see a Glock 19 for scale. It’s plenty spacious enough to toss in a couple more full size handguns or anything else you might want to lock up. It still has the factory mat underneath. The spring loaded hinge lifts and holds the lid out of the way.

Also visible are two of the four screws. I was pleasantly surprised that there weren’t just screw holes but actual threaded inserts welded to the inside vault walls. This made installing the screws incredibly easy and kept them exactly perpendicular to the wall. Additionally, this virtually eliminates any chance of being able to lift the whole vault out of the console without removing the screws. There’s no way for the screws to pivot and pull out of the plastic of the console. The screws would either need to shear off outside the vault or cut four paths through the console all the of the way out. In my opinion it’s just a small detail that could have easily been omitted but instead speaks to the build quality.

On the subject of build quality, the lid is well-designed and fits tight enough to the frame that a pry tool can’t be inserted. I’m sure a tool could be hammered in but the shape of the lid would result in more lateral pry force than the vertical direction needed to pry the lid up. On the front side of the vault where the lid closes and latches, there’s a lip that would limit the depth a tool could be inserted and would also resist the edge of the lid being folded in to create an area a pry tool could hook onto and lift from.

In my uneducated opinion, the most likely point of attack and the weakest part of the vault is the lock. I have seen a video someone made of a defeated Console Vault and the lock was indeed the failure point. On that particular model of truck the vault appeared to sit higher and closer to the armrest lid which allowed more angles to try and get leverage for prying than the deep consoles in our trucks would. The vault was pretty beat up but the thief was eventually able to access it by punching the lock through the lid and down into the vault.

The pivoting lock bar was connected to the shaft of the lock with a clearly MIM part that broke. A solid steel connection would have bent and not failed in the same way. That said, I doubt that alone would have changed the outcome. Once the lock was punched through the lid the lock bar could be pulled out if it hadn’t broken off. I don’t know if that was the “new and improved” lock touted on the website, but regardless I still feel the lock is the biggest vulnerability.

Any locked container can be defeated by the right combination of tools, time, and talent. I am confident this vault would survive a smash-and-grab or any other thief short of one who came prepared with the right tools and didn’t care about making a lot of noise.

For $270 I got a nicely built lock box made from sufficiently thick steel and a well-thought out design that fits perfectly in the truck while being smartly shaped to dissuade virtually every possible angle of attack.

I hope this information was helpful and let me know if I can answer any questions or if more pictures arewanted.
Cute but I don’t like my fire arm under layers and layers if needed. Then again I’m in a state I can have a loaded AR mounted in the cab 😁 for quick access.

honestly tho I just can’t justify the price a box that can be picked in about 10 seconds. Plus if I’m in the car it’s on the hip. I have no reason to leave it in the car when not inside of it

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned Console Vaults for years and swear by them. Yes, there are cheaper manufacturers and those with "cool" locks on them but you need to look at the steel gauge. Console Vault is 12 gauge steel (the smaller the number, the thicker the steel). I have a relative in Kansas City who had his truck broken into in which they tore out the slider with what appears to have been a crow bar and then they pried his Tuffy open like it was an aluminum can - they got his 9MM and three magazines. Buy quality, buy thick and buy American.

Below are the various brands and their steel thickness:

Console Vault - 12
Lock'Er Down - 12
Tuffy - 16
Mopar 82215519AC (Made by Tuffy) - 16
Strong Box - 16

brian-pdx

Reaction score
Your write-up was great, primary reason I looked into the Console Vault and purchased one. Thanks 😊 installed this afternoon, easy to install even for someone like me, with 10 thumbs.
Sold. Damn this forum (had my B2 Muffler and Hellwig sway bar put on last week). ;)

And I found a coupon code - RUGBY. Saved me $26.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guys, I have a Group Buy going on now with the Lock'erDown vaults. Best vault on the market. They make several models to fit every RAM. If interested, see my posting:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, I have a Group Buy going on now with the Lock'erDown vaults. Best vault on the market. They make several models to fit every RAM. If interested, see my posting:

They build a quality product as I’ve seen it first hand with a friend who purchased one. The only reason I didn’t go with the Lock’er Down is because according to the video (in the installation section) in the link below, you have to remove tabs from the console. With Consile Vault, no modifications required as you simply flip up the tab, drop the Console Vault in and secure the four self tapping screws.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They build a quality product as I’ve seen it first hand with a friend who purchased one. The only reason I didn’t go with the Lock’er Down is because according to the video (in the installation section) in the link below, you have to remove tabs from the console. With Consile Vault, no modifications required as you simply flip up the tab, drop the Console Vault in and secure the four self tapping screws.

I understand your point. However, removing the tabs is super simple and you'll never use or need them again anyway. I also like the digital keypad since it's a ton easier to get to versus having to pull out a key or turn 3 or 4 thumb wheels in an emergency. Personal preference I guess, but I like the Lock'erDown units options far better and the additional security of the Exxtreme with an additional 10 gauge plate attached. Eitherway, you can't go wrong with either. I put together the LD group-buy since that was my preference.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't like the idea of breaking tabs either, but a member here stated in another thread that with the Lock'erDown there is no need to break them, for install in a Limited at least, but that the little rubber mat still needed cut.

Last edited:

jrr907

Reaction score
Hi , So what are the terms for the group buy with Lock’er Down any discounts ? Interested in the Exxtreme Console Safe # LD2078LEX with electronic digital lock

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't like the idea of breaking tabs either, but a member here stated in another thread that with the Lock'erDown there is no need to break them, for install in a Limited at least, but that the little rubber mat still needed cut.
Mine should be here any day so I can let you all know about the tabs. For everyone interested in the GROUP BUY, please see the thread below post #152:

Last edited:

RickWaz

Reaction score
Mine should be here any day so I can let you all know about the tabs. For everyone interested in the GROUP BUY, please see the thread below post #152:

I did snap off my plastic tabs. No biggie and the vault fills the space so no cosmetic or other issues. As noted, the rubber mat needs to be removed completely or do what's noted in the video below (6:13 mark), i.e., cut and remove the potion where the vault will go but reuse the remainder of the rubber mat w/i the rest of the center console. That's what I did. Good luck and enjoy this GREAT safe!

2019 Ram Lock'er Down Console Safe Install Video

JMO1974

Reaction score
Great post on this subject. I just bought and installed a Console Vault in my 2021 Laramie. What sold me: no cutting of bottom rubber mat, no breaking plastic tabs, non-key lock option, ability to leave it unlocked, spring loaded lid, 12 gauge steel, and the reviews on this post. Not important but not for nothing, it was about $100 less than the Locker Down model. Having installed it, I can say it exudes quality and is a very well thought out design. No regrets. Thanks to you all for the assistance!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One con about the console vault.. no digital lock option for those that would like that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One con about the Lock’er Down is batteries are required and dependence upon an electronic system to access my weapon - not happening as I’ll take a set of manual tumblers any day. To each their own…

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I popped the tabs out before checking fitment. 🤨 Might have to order a set to appease my OCD.

One con about the Lock’er Down is batteries are required and dependence upon an electronic system to access my weapon - not happening as I’ll take a set of manual tumblers any day. To each their own…
IMHO, I really don't see those as cons. The electronic lock will give an audible alarm when the batteries are low, but I plan on changing them every 6 months at most anyway. Entering a four digit code vice a key or tumblers seems like it would be easier/quicker, but moot for me since I only use it for secure storage when I go in someplace that I can't legally carry. Ideally, I'd prefer a biometric lock though.

Regardless, all of the safes I've seen mentioned here are up to the task as a deterrent to thieves so "to each their own" indeed. 👍

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I popped the tabs out before checking fitment. 🤨 Might have to order a set to appease my OCD.

IMHO, I really don't see those as cons. The electronic lock will give an audible alarm when the batteries are low, but I plan on changing them every 6 months at most anyway. Entering a four digit code vice a key or tumblers seems like it would be easier/quicker, but moot for me since I only use it for secure storage when I go in someplace that I can't legally carry. Ideally, I'd prefer a biometric lock though.

Regardless, all of the safes I've seen mentioned here are up to the task as a deterrent to thieves so "to each their own" indeed. 👍
The other benefit to the electronic lock is that you can close it without having to use your code to reopen it if you want fast access.

partzguy

Reaction score
As a bit of background, I had a Tacoma with a Console Vault with a 4 digit combo for the last 4 years. A buddy of mine had the same set-up in his 2012 RAM. He lives in a apartment complex, and several months ago his truck was broken into, and his Console Vault was broken into and it's contents stolen. Looking at it after the fact, it appears the thief pounded down on the top of the round combo lock knob with a heavy hammer, and then pried the top off to gain access to the safe. My buddy contacted Console Vault, and they didn't seem surprised to hear what he told them happened. They immediately offered to send him a replacement lock at no charge.

Fast forward to June, and I just bought a new RAM Limited Longhorn. After looking at Console Vault, Tuffy, and Lock'er Down safes I chose the Lock'er Down Exxtreme with a key lock. After installing it I believe it would be extremely difficult for it to be broken into. It is very heavy duty thick steel, and the key lock has a special high security tumbler. Due to the way it sits low in the consoleI believe it would be very difficult to get leverage on it to pry open. Although not as convenient as a combo lock, the key lock also looks very difficult to defeat. Overall I'm very happy with my Lock'er Down console safe!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As a bit of background, I had a Tacoma with a Console Vault with a 4 digit combo for the last 4 years. A buddy of mine had the same set-up in his 2012 RAM. He lives in a apartment complex, and several months ago his truck was broken into, and his Console Vault was broken into and it's contents stolen. Looking at it after the fact, it appears the thief pounded down on the top of the round combo lock knob with a heavy hammer, and then pried the top off to gain access to the safe. My buddy contacted Console Vault, and they didn't seem surprised to hear what he told them happened. They immediately offered to send him a replacement lock at no charge.

Fast forward to June, and I just bought a new RAM Limited Longhorn. After looking at Console Vault, Tuffy, and Lock'er Down safes I chose the Lock'er Down Exxtreme with a key lock. After installing it I believe it would be extremely difficult for it to be broken into. It is very heavy duty thick steel, and the key lock has a special high security tumbler. Due to the way it sits low in the consoleI believe it would be very difficult to get leverage on it to pry open. Although not as convenient as a combo lock, the key lock also looks very difficult to defeat. Overall I'm very happy with my Lock'er Down console safe!
Great choice. There is no better or safer safe than the Locker Down!

U

User_21361

Does anyone have the locker down with the electronic lock and confirm that the tray slides all the way back (non longhorn/limited model)?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Question though... you get a tougher safe. A thief tries harder to get into it. How much value of damage to your truck does he do in comparison to the value of what is in the safe?

I would use mine for the times I might run into someplace I couldn't carry like going in the courthouse for something (bank or liquor store do not count since they just have to ask you to leave) . It's not like I would store a $5000 collectible pistol and a pound of gold bullion in the console while I parked in the projects for a week and went to Hawaii.

Users who are viewing this thread