5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Ram - opinions on my choices so far

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the OP's point anyway. He has a truck that has 20k miles on it that (I think) he bought new in 2012. I'm assuming that it's not a broken down POS with those miles, so it seems to me he either wants to trade because he just wants something else and is sick of driving that vehicle or because he wants new technology. If he just wants something else, then I don't see what the point is in waiting because there's always going to be different vehicles offered, and if he wants new technology I don't see the point in waiting because technology is always going to change - unless he's waiting for something specific that doesn't exist yet like flying cars :p

I have a favorite saying: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". Yes, maybe GM or Toyota or Ford or Tesla or Honda or Daewoo will come out with an even badder-asser truck next year. In the meantime, he gets to just keep driving the truck he obviously no longer wants when there's plenty of good trucks out there now and he might get hit by a train between now and the time that Daewoo launches the 2022 ***-smasher 4000 :ROFLMAO:
Honda is discontinuing their "truck". All the Golf Lesbians who wanted one already have one.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honda is discontinuing their "truck". All the Golf Lesbians who wanted one already have one.
Ridgeline is actually a pretty good truck, if we use the term loosely. It's more like a deep bed El Camino but has its place for sure. It wouldn't work for me, but I can see the appeal for Joe Homeowner.

86grand

Reaction score
Ridgeline is actually a pretty good truck, if we use the term loosely. It's more like a deep bed El Camino but has its place for sure. It wouldn't work for me, but I can see the appeal for Joe Homeowner.
My dad has a ridegeline and he loves it. it does exactly what he needs it to do and is reliable and good for a daily driver. trips to home depot and recycling and no towing for someone in their 70s don't really need a full sized Hemi. he could also get 2 1/2 of them for the MSRP of my Ram

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dad has a ridegeline and he loves it. it does exactly what he needs it to do and is reliable and good for a daily driver. trips to home depot and recycling and no towing for someone in their 70s don't really need a full sized Hemi. he could also get 2 1/2 of them for the MSRP of my Ram
I actually wish someone would bring back simple little trucks for that kind of stuff. I had a 91 Mazda B-series 2200 that I sold about 8 or 9 years ago and I wish I had kept it. The low bed height and age of it was perfect for all that kind of stuff - no step rails needed, easy to load stuff over the bed side, etc. I know there's no market for anything that cheap these days so no one is going to build it and it's too bad, because there's definitely a need out there. Most people don't need full size trucks, but the price of the few mid-size that are left is so stupid that it only makes sense to step up to a full-size. I like the space in a full-size - I've always carried 1-2 big dogs in my crew cab, plus wife, and usually luggage/tools/supplies in the bed, so my full-size gets used that way - but I've moved a lot of stuff where I wished I had a lower bed height.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Still no reply from any of the 4 I called (or the 2 I met in person) - so all 4 are now dead to me in the future.

Really surprised the 2 locals (in person) never followed up....1 at least half assed it....the other ABSOLUTELY 0 communication (aside from the 75 dollar test drive incentive). Inexcusable to any sales pro.

Used is it’s own unique beast - after all you only have 1 potentially....new there’s no limit on supply. Sucks - I liked Ram better I think, but Toyota is only seller returning calls and it likely just earned them 55k.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I actually wish someone would bring back simple little trucks for that kind of stuff. I had a 91 Mazda B-series 2200 that I sold about 8 or 9 years ago and I wish I had kept it. The low bed height and age of it was perfect for all that kind of stuff - no step rails needed, easy to load stuff over the bed side, etc. I know there's no market for anything that cheap these days so no one is going to build it and it's too bad, because there's definitely a need out there. Most people don't need full size trucks, but the price of the few mid-size that are left is so stupid that it only makes sense to step up to a full-size. I like the space in a full-size - I've always carried 1-2 big dogs in my crew cab, plus wife, and usually luggage/tools/supplies in the bed, so my full-size gets used that way - but I've moved a lot of stuff where I wished I had a lower bed height.
Those are now relegated to the “3rd world” type areas yet still are incredibly useful. I too would like an old beater Ranger or something to “carelessly” throw wood, concrete blocks etc into the back and not have to climb onto a stepstool to reach into the bed. I still see a few S-10’s or Rangers around but not many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudstone

Reaction score
The Ridgeline's a good truck, we upgraded our trailer from tent to travel and was just a little too much for the V6! But the Honda saved my family's life as we ran into an EF4 Tornado and survived! Honda (2).jpg

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Still no reply from any of the 4 I called (or the 2 I met in person) - so all 4 are now dead to me in the future.

Really surprised the 2 locals (in person) never followed up....1 at least half assed it....the other ABSOLUTELY 0 communication (aside from the 75 dollar test drive incentive). Inexcusable to any sales pro.

Used is it’s own unique beast - after all you only have 1 potentially....new there’s no limit on supply. Sucks - I liked Ram better I think, but Toyota is only seller returning calls and it likely just earned them 55k.
Well if they don’t want to sell you one that’s their loss . I can’t believe you’d have to beg them to take your money . lol and they call themselves sales people .

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Absolutely intend to stick around. As I have said - no "brand" is perfect and there are certainly no one size fits all.

Ram gives you a great value brand (at entry level trim) and a super lux experience in the higher trims. Overall it has the best look of the 5 full size rucks (Big 3 - Toyota and Nissan).

Toyota is probably the most solidly built truck out there...its kinda like Volvo without the safety record. They break down infrequently, they all look the same and their owners swear they would never buy anything else. Of course every damned one of their owners tries out just about anything else and comments "I wish my vehicle had this" because they seem to be the least optioned vehicles possible.

We shall see - maybe a great used pops up for sale and Ram re-enters the discussion (or I find a dealer who has what I want in the lot new) - but won't be ordering and won't be buying local. Toyota has Ram in the local sales department (this is of course very subjective with what - like 200 different "regions" of the US at least (region meaning 50-75 miles from a city of 100k or more).

I am tempted to wait on the 2022 Tundra now actually - not that I particularly want to buy 1 - or feel they will be priced even at the current sticker. Rather wait and see what current gen Tundra prices do...and see what how the new engines feel. I was never a fan of the turbo 6 in a truck - but Ford has convinced me its workable.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The turbo 6 is fine. It's passed the longevity test and while there will always be "duds", overall the engine will outlast its first and likely 2nd owners no problem. Now would I buy one with 150K or more on it? Hmmm, depends on price I guess. The hemi with over 150K would still be fine in my book.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
So just an update...I have went ahead and placed an order (refundable) for a TRD Pro.

That said - its far from a "done deal".

Toyota dealers - of 5 I talked 2 actually were willing to take an order from me...others either knew they wouldnt get an allocation - or werent willing to sell it (guess they think there are bigger dummies to bait in with these who will pay above sticker) and 1 would only sell me white (no choice in color - just the remaining allocated unit they had die in 60 days).

IF the vehicle I ordered cannot be allocated - I am seriously thinking backup is a Ram ij big horn trim.

Simply put - as a base/entry level truck - they are by far best bang for the buck. All of the things that scare me about ram (reliability/resale) start to dininish as you get to a lower price point. Paying 60k for an optioned out half ton is a tough pill - paying 42k for a nicely appointed one is less so. Worst case - I resell in a few years and I lose 25% - sounds rough...but when your starting point is 42k - its not much different than 15% of a 60k truck (assuming 15% is the best % of diminishment in value) - and if I love it...im 20k ahead and have a truck I love.

Sure - it MIGHT have hiccups every now and then causing a trip to a dealer...but again, got to compare apples to apples. If my choice was a SR5 with TRD offroad or Rebel - it would be Rebel. If it were a base SR5 or Big Horn - again Ram. I this case Ram Laramie/Rebel loses out to a TRD Pro - but thats not a bad thing. Simply put - I realized a loaded up Rebel costing 54k new wouldnt fair as well medium term as the Pro for me - and the "unique" factor favored the Pro.

Of course getting a Pro is another matter...right now no one seems to have them sitting on their lots - and those that do want a fortune (Carmax has one for example - a 2019 crew that stickered for around 55k new...30k miles and they want 54k for it plus shipping).

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
IDK, the mid-level awd is $40K and they don't discount hardly anything.
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
Starting MSRP: $39,995

Fatherof3

Reaction score
So just an update...I have went ahead and placed an order (refundable) for a TRD Pro.

Toyota dealers - of 5 I talked 2 actually were willing to take an order from me...others either knew they wouldnt get an allocation - or werent willing to sell it (guess they think there are bigger dummies to bait in with these who will pay above sticker) and 1 would only sell me white (no choice in color - just the remaining allocated unit they had die in 60 days).

IF the vehicle I ordered cannot be allocated - I am seriously thinking backup is a Ram ij big horn trim.

Simply put - as a base/entry level truck - they are by far best bang for the buck. All of the things that scare me about ram (reliability/resale) start to dininish as you get to a lower price point. Paying 60k for an optioned out half ton is a tough pill - paying 42k for a nicely appointed one is less so. Worst case - I resell in a few years and I lose 25% - sounds rough...but when your starting point is 42k - its not much different than 15% of a 60k truck (assuming 15% is the best % of diminishment in value) - and if I love it...im 20k ahead and have a truck I love.

Sure - it MIGHT have hiccups every now and then causing a trip to a dealer...but again, got to compare apples to apples. If my choice was a SR5 with TRD offroad or Rebel - it would be Rebel. If it were a base SR5 or Big Horn - again Ram. I this case Ram Laramie/Rebel loses out to a TRD Pro - but thats not a bad thing. Simply put - I realized a loaded up Rebel costing 54k new wouldnt fair as well medium term as the Pro for me - and the "unique" factor favored the Pro.

Of course getting a Pro is another matter...right now no one seems to have them sitting on their lots - and those that do want a fortune (Carmax has one for example - a 2019 crew that stickered for around 55k new...30k miles and they want 54k for it plus shipping).
The Pro is definitely a nice choice , I think the Pro is more of a competitor to the Rebel though .

Shamrock92

Reaction score
The Pro slots in line with the target audience of the Rebel I agree...but compare a Rebel to a Pro resale wise and it’s no contest.

I never understood why - but the Rebel resale sucks in comparison to other Ram trim levels - comp to the Pro (strongest resale in the Toyota Tundra lineup) it’s not even funny.

Resale is of course only one aspect of ownership....who cares about resale if you live what you own, never plan on selling and drive it daily.

The Rebel’s I have driven drove like fun trucks - and those are 6 cylinders (gas and diesel) cannot imagine the Hemi is any worse. Interior wise - they were nice (a bit too much of the logo, but that’s every maker these days). I’d happily take one if offered for free...and might buy one if the Pro doesn’t work out...but tell me you have a 55k budget and get pick of one truck currently available - I’m picking the Pro over Ram. Make it a 45k budget and like I said my pick changes to Ram over a SR5 (can still get a nice Rebel at that price point or a Big Horn easily).

traveller09

Reaction score

Tundra, particularly the TRD Pro is a great truck and you cant go wrong with it. Feb 2020 my wife and I rented a new Rebel on vacation and loved it but my head was saying buy the Tundra for reliability. In November of 2020 we rented a Tundra SR5 for a road trip from Seattle to Phoenix and back. The truck drove great, easy to park, a well built truck. But, after 3 long days our backs and A$$'s couldnt take anymore. My wife has a bad back and when we got to Phoenix we had to get her into a Chiropractor and massage. We turned the truck in and got a different vehicle for the return trip. I kept telling her the SR5 was the base truck and TRD Pro or more so the Platinum would be much more comfortable. When we got back to Seattle in December I set up a test drive in a Lunar Rock TRD Pro. Loved the truck, looked great, drove great sounded even better but the seats were only mildly more comfortable than the SR5. We sat in a Platinum and it was a little better but not much. I am not even going to to talk about the spartan interior. Knowing one of the reasons we were getting the truck was for long road trips my wife gave me the sad eyes that she didnt think she could live with the truck, especially for long road trips. If it was only me I would have bought the TRD Pro, but it is not just me and I need to think of her needs too.

I decided to take a step back and re-look at the RAM again along with the GMC. We test drove a Limited, a Laramie and Rebel. One of them was an Ecodiesel, which I think is the engine I want. I think the Limited is out because I dont think I want the air suspension and you cant get the ORG and Night Edition together, I hate chrome. We also test drove a GMC 1500 Sierra AT4. Nice truck, I think I like the Duramax a little better the Ecodiesel despite the 150,000 mile wet belt controversy. It does drive like a big truck (negative) and it is nicer inside than the Tundra but not near as nice as the RAM. Somewhere in the middle.

I will probably get the RAM over the GMC, just cant decide on the trim (parts shortage isnt helping matters).

Make sure you spend time on Tundras.com, it is a great forum and like this one you will learn all you need to know.

Good luck!

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Interesting, the only thing I have seen of the issues you posted is the cam tower leak some experience. Guess I was just lucky with mine and missed all the problems people posted about. I most certainly have never heard of any bursting into flames while parked, LOL, pretty sure I would remember that. I am happy with my Ram purchase as well (only 4 days old), seems like a nice truck.

OP, all you can do is your due diligence. At the end of the day, it’s your truck and your money. Everyone has their own personal experiences with different manufacturers. And like the old saying going, opinions are like @$$*****, everyone has one.
I’m sorry , I forgot about providing the look up lol . If you go to Tundras.com and search Tundra Fire you’ll see it .

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
traveller09 writes: "...but it is not just me and I need to think of her needs too."
Exactly why we have a Limited. I'd have been happy with a BH quad but it wasn't for me.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Thought I was set on a Pro (ordered and depoait) - but the reports im getting have me looking again at Ram (Toyota is allegedly cutting existing orders - citing inability to fulfill demand).

Seriously looking at a Limited Night Edition..Toyota got me comfortable spending more - and if I can find a Ram at the same price point - I may jump on it.

No ordering - only considering whats on hand now. Only problem is dealers are getting STUPID on their ask.

Perfect example - had a Ram dealer tell me no discounting off sticker aside from posted rebates. Too strong of demand and act fast as rebates going away April 1 (true I agree...but highly unlikely they are replaced by some incentives). As to "no discounts" I strongly doubt that position holds too long or at other dealers.

Toyota is bad too - I've seen the "horror stories" of Western state dealers adding "market demand pricing" - but I'm in the SE - where luxury trucks don't sell as well and sticker is tough to sell some days. Most dealers I talked to had 0 problem selling at sticker - but just couldn't get the allocation....so a 2021 CrewMax popped up at a local used car lot yesterday with 1100 miles...it surprised me. Ask 68,900 (sticker was originally 55,400 per Toyota). Not that they might not have added a few mods...but 14k above new on a now slightly used truck is plain nuts to me. Market is boiling over thanks to built up demand and buyers anxious to spend. Wonder what resale looks like on these 3 years from now (regardless of brand) - got a feeling there might be a lot of under water financed trucks come 2023-2024...combination of low interest and 72-84 month terms is gonna catch up to buyers someday.

Users who are viewing this thread