5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Ram - opinions on my choices so far

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Ok thanks

I'm getting closer to settling on a build I think. Just a quick bit if research convinced me to stick with the gate.

The sunroof is probably my only "possibly" and I think it comes down to which vehicle I go with.

If a Laramie - yes
If a Rebel - no

Which brings me to my final thing - go with a Laramie crew and 6'4 bed or Rebel quad?

Towing will not be a primary use - and I think I like the Rebel style better..primarily will be just me and the dog too - no rear seat passengers.

Of course the Rebel styling ain't for everyone and suspect if I trade in in the next few years - it won't be pretty.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Also went to check out Toyota today and test drove a Tundra.

In a word "yuck" - simply nothing that compared to Ram aside from power train. Felt very much like a basic "work truck" edition - despite being an optioned out SR5...plastic everything and felt cheap.

Got spoiled testing the Ram - talked with them on a Pro - but not sure if they will get an allocation this round. Promised me a deal if they did get it - but even base sticker is 52-55k - I think I'm better spending 5k less on a Ram - resale and reliability be damned. 5k covers an extended warranty and leaves a couple g for add ons.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
While everyone raves about the Tundra reliability and points to the problems with the Ram as seen in this Forum, it needs to be remembered that Ram far outsells the Tundra. 2019 Ram sales were 633K, Tundra 111K - 2020 Ram sales 500K, Tundra 109K. With more trucks built, more problems will be reported. If your outselling someone 5 to 1, then if 5 people note a problem in the Ram and only 1 notes a problem in the Tundra, does that make the Tundra a better truck? I would say maybe not as the ratio is the same. Buy what you want and like and you will always feel that your money was well spent.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Budget is 48-55k pre tax/fee

I know....thats quite a range, but alot depends on what features are there.

Speaking of - need some help

Of the following - which would you say are most "not worth it" - looking at options to cut on my build:

- heads up
- tech package (lane assist/blind spot)
- sunroof
- multi function tailgate
- 12" display

I ranked them in order of my thoughts presently - but not 100%. I think the tech package is a no go on new orders anyway (component shortage - saving for limited only trim).

The heads up is gimmicky to me - nice, sure...worth it - probably not.

Sunroof I'm split on - I see it being nice, but not a must.

The tailgate - is it really worth the cost ?

Finally the 12 inch display - i could easily do with the 8...but looks like you get a speaker upgrade too with it. Is the system that much better?

Nobody can really answer that question for you. I'm a bighorn guy (which is the "value" trim; not quite a work truck, not quite a luxury cruiser, but you get a lot for your money), of those features you listed, I would only be interested in the MFT.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Of the following - which would you say are most "not worth it" - looking at options to cut on my build:

- heads up
- sunroof
- 12" display

I ranked them in order of my thoughts presently - but not 100%. I think the tech package is a no go on new orders anyway (component shortage - saving for limited only trim).

Finally the 12 inch display - i could easily do with the 8...but looks like you get a speaker upgrade too with it. Is the system that much better?
It’s kind of hard to say which feature is less worthy, everybody’s needs and wants are so different.
I would like to point out that I do like the moonroof on my Rebel and my Jeep, specially good for the rear passengers, and the trade in value with the moonroof almost pays for itself.
The best thing that I really like in the tech package is the adaptive cruise control, yet some people will never use it, my wife will never use the cruise on any vehicle.
The 12 inch screen is a nice feature, mine came with the upgrade Harmon Kardon 19 speaker system, it sure is pricy but I do enjoy it, I haven’t driven a similar truck without it to compare.
The split tailgate I don’t have I would not need because I made a roll out bed, so I don’t have to reach past the tailgate.
The heads up display I also don’t have , it was not available in 2020, I would not really want it, but like other things, it’s probably part of a package that I would end up getting. I had compared the price of my 2020 Rebel with a 2021 Rebel and the price went up close to $4000, so waiting for me was not worth it.
If you can find a dealer with a truck on the lot with the options you want, you would likely get a better deal, a good dealer can do a search for trucks with the specific options that you want, but sometimes they do not want to tell you where they are because they want to sell what they have on their own lots.
I searched for weeks until I found mine, it showed “on order” on their website, that dealer is 500 miles south of my home town, I called them and put a deposit, my name went on before it hit the production line, so the window sticker shows “ this vehicle was built for Guy L....” first time ever for me, after buying 10 FCA vehicles.
I can honestly say that I was kind of stressed out during the purchase of my Rebel, I thought I was getting my new truck the next week, so I had sold my 2011 Ram, then had to wait 5 weeks for my Rebel to arrive, it was a good thing that my wife was working from home, because of Covid-19, I used her Jeep to travel to work.

Good luck in your search. I sincerely hope you are excited instead of stressed.

Attachments

• A0FE0CEE-3BDB-47A5-AF87-AA75BD369656.jpeg
    A0FE0CEE-3BDB-47A5-AF87-AA75BD369656.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 9FCD4AB3-547C-4748-8243-8DB8F0A6FEDF.jpeg
    9FCD4AB3-547C-4748-8243-8DB8F0A6FEDF.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 18

TechDaddy3x

Reaction score

- heads up
- sunroof
- 12" display

Plenty of options here...

dannymcd

Reaction score
Ok thanks

I'm getting closer to settling on a build I think. Just a quick bit if research convinced me to stick with the gate.

The sunroof is probably my only "possibly" and I think it comes down to which vehicle I go with.

If a Laramie - yes
If a Rebel - no

Which brings me to my final thing - go with a Laramie crew and 6'4 bed or Rebel quad?

Towing will not be a primary use - and I think I like the Rebel style better..primarily will be just me and the dog too - no rear seat passengers.

Of course the Rebel styling ain't for everyone and suspect if I trade in in the next few years - it won't be pretty.

I have the the Laramie w/ sunroof and it's the one of the things that makes people say wow this is really nice inside. when you open it to Vent it doesn't open far enough IMO and kind of whistles, not loud but if the radio is off you can kind of hear it, like a dog whistle very faint but it's there. when it's fully open you can do 70mph and it's still pretty quiet inside, it's very well buffered. With all that being said, the EGR cab spoiler and the ventshade aero marker lights don't fit on the sunroof version, which doesn't make me regret getting one with it, but it's a bummer that I can't get the EGR spoiler. My sister was in it today and said it's like having a convertible but without all the wind, talking about it closed and how much light it brings in, so from a girls perspective it's a really nice feature.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
So here's the single rey I got on a Laramie build I sent out to quote (from 5 dealers - 2 local, 2 forum and 1 next state over)

MSRP - 62,660
Sale - 55,100
Discount 12.1%

This is zero negotiation - just a preliminary offer to sell. Obviously there is room to negotiate off that number....how much - who knows. 2% would be a "fair" deal - 5% is closer to my target...anything over 8% and I probably need to drive the check to them before they sober up.

I sent this dealer my Rebel build and we will see...sticker is close to the same - not sure if there's any better hold back on one model over another. Part of reason for change in considering Rebel is preference - part is I can still do blind spot if I want it.

Guess we wait and see how badly they want to deal. In a way - I am thinking wait out the spring rush and see if June/July doesn't bring better deals (traditionally foot traffic is highest on showroom floors Jan-April...as weather turns - more vacations and less prospects)

dannymcd

Reaction score
If it helps I bought a 2019 with 30k miles for $38k

I have the sticker so I'll list the MSRP prices

Base Price 45,695
Crewcab 5'-7" bed 4x4
$1195 - 5.7L hemi (no e-torque)
3.21 rear end
8.4" u-connect
$1295 - Panoramic Roof
$1595 - Advanced Safety group Adaptive cruise, brake assist, birds eye cams, parking sensors, parallel parking assist, lane keep.
$4400 - Level 2 equipment group, 19 speaker, heated rear seats, electric tailgate, rain sensor wipers, and a ton of other little things
$1295 - 20" premium wheels
$795 - Bed Utility group tiedown hooks, led bed lights, spray in liner

Total MSRP $57,915

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it helps I bought a 2019 with 30k miles for $38k

I have the sticker so I'll list the MSRP prices

Base Price 45,695
Crewcab 5'-7" bed 4x4
$1195 - 5.7L hemi (no e-torque)
3.21 rear end
8.4" u-connect
$1295 - Panoramic Roof
$1595 - Advanced Safety group Adaptive cruise, brake assist, birds eye cams, parking sensors, parallel parking assist, lane keep.
$4400 - Level 2 equipment group, 19 speaker, heated rear seats, electric tailgate, rain sensor wipers, and a ton of other little things
$1295 - 20" premium wheels
$795 - Bed Utility group tiedown hooks, led bed lights, spray in liner

Total MSRP $57,915
That seems like a pretty good deal you got. My 2020 Laramie has a trade-in value that's $5k more than what you paid, although it's a year newer and has less than 10k miles on it. Used trucks are at a premium right now. Well played.

dannymcd

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty good deal you got. My 2020 Laramie has a trade-in value that's $5k more than what you paid, although it's a year newer and has less than 10k miles on it. Used trucks are at a premium right now. Well played.
yeah when I checked it on NADA, KBB and comps they were all in the $44k mark in my area.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Still waiting on local to reply to my Rebel with a quote...no reply from the out of state who promised a reply by Monday and absolutely zero out if the other 2. Guess cars are selling so well they don't need my order.

Its funny - a dealer in Houston has been popping up on my FB feed...had the exact truck I specd with only 2 minor differences - it was a 5 foot bed and it had one other small option that cost a couple hundred (wheel liners maybe). Sticker 63k - advertised 52 and take it home today price of 50,100.

Seems very good - but I'm not really up for a 1k mile drive back from Houston this weekend and who knows if they actually honor the price posted. Still - just proof someone is able to sell close to my absolute best case price and make a profit.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Still waiting on local to reply to my Rebel with a quote...no reply from the out of state who promised a reply by Monday and absolutely zero out if the other 2. Guess cars are selling so well they don't need my order.

Its funny - a dealer in Houston has been popping up on my FB feed...had the exact truck I specd with only 2 minor differences - it was a 5 foot bed and it had one other small option that cost a couple hundred (wheel liners maybe). Sticker 63k - advertised 52 and take it home today price of 50,100.

Seems very good - but I'm not really up for a 1k mile drive back from Houston this weekend and who knows if they actually honor the price posted. Still - just proof someone is able to sell close to my absolute best case price and make a profit.
The rear wheel well liners I’d recommend .

Shamrock92

Reaction score
So reading latest incentives (published)

Looks like 5k on a Big Horn and closer to 1500 on Laramie/Rebel

Anything I would be missing out on going with the lower trim - aside from leather seats/automatic wipers ?

Maybe I should look at the lower trim for savings.

TravisJ

Reaction score
So reading latest incentives (published)

Looks like 5k on a Big Horn and closer to 1500 on Laramie/Rebel

Anything I would be missing out on going with the lower trim - aside from leather seats/automatic wipers ?

Maybe I should look at the lower trim for savings.

Not too much if you aren't chasing any upgrades that require the upgraded trim level. You would also lose out on vented seats the Laramie has.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

Look into a flight. SouthWest has a fare sale on now I believe.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Not too much if you aren't chasing any upgrades that require the upgraded trim level. You would also lose out on vented seats the Laramie has.
Any difference in headlights? I read that is a big deal for some.

TravisJ

Reaction score
I don't think the Laramie can have projector LEDs, but I think it comes standard with the reflector LEDs. You can add the reflector LEDs to a Big Horn for a bit under $1k though.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I don't think the Laramie can have projector LEDs, but I think it comes standard with the reflector LEDs. You can add the reflector LEDs to a Big Horn for a bit under $1k though.
The Laramie comes standard with LED headlights. Which are the same headlights you can upgrade the Big Horn with. Limited and Limited Longhorn models come with adaptive LED headlights, and are not a direct replacement for any other 1500 models.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I feel the same way. I’ve been trying to buy a certified Longhorn for 2 weeks. They don’t return phone calls or emails in a timely manner. It’s frustrating but it has the exact options & color combo with reasonable miles for a decent price... If we can’t get a deal done this weekend I’m out

Users who are viewing this thread