5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Ram - opinions on my choices so far

Shamrock92

Reaction score
So a local (Non Ram) dealer took in a 2021 Rebel - went to check it out and it's EXACTLY what I would order.

Only issue - they want just shy of 63k for it!!

Wife actually saw it and is nudging me that way - but of course agrees the price is way too high.

I can justify paying 55 for a Rebel that stickers at 62-63 new...but full sticker on a USED Rebel...pass. I'm sure there are a few add ons - but even so, the price is stupid high in my opinion.

If it were 55, it would be a tough choice - buy unless they come to reality quickly the choice is simple - new TRD Pro at 55k local dealer called the other day - they were able to snag one and remembered me - so it's mine if I want it one it hits lot (mid May).

The Ram has some nicer features (air suspension, better radio (first thing that is getting upgraded on the Tundra), better seats and feels tad more powerful...but not 8k nicer. If anything it's a dead draw to me with Toyota reputation offsetting the nicer features of RAM.

And yea..I could try and order a new RAM...but having went down this road before...I'm doing with trying to order stuff. Too much hassle and too many dealers trying to push me into something else or being stupid on their pricing.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a local (Non Ram) dealer took in a 2021 Rebel - went to check it out and it's EXACTLY what I would order.

Wife actually saw it and is nudging me that way - but of course agrees the price is way too high.

I can justify paying 55 for a Rebel that stickers at 62-63 new...but full sticker on a USED Rebel...pass. I'm sure there are a few add ons - but even so, the price is stupid high in my opinion.

If it were 55, it would be a tough choice - buy unless they come to reality quickly the choice is simple - new TRD Pro at 55k local dealer called the other day - they were able to snag one and remembered me - so it's mine if I want it one it hits lot (mid May).

The Ram has some nicer features (air suspension, better radio (first thing that is getting upgraded on the Tundra), better seats and feels tad more powerful...but not 8k nicer. If anything it's a dead draw to me with Toyota reputation offsetting the nicer features of RAM.

And yea..I could try and order a new RAM...but having went down this road before...I'm doing with trying to order stuff. Too much hassle and too many dealers trying to push me into something else or being stupid on their pricing.

Yeah the used market is horrendous. I've never bought new but ended up ordering this time due to how ridiculous the pricing was on lightly used trucks. If you do end up wanting to order and don't want any of the typical BS, order from Aaron at Mark Dodge. Tons of us on here have, he's a refreshing change to the typical routine you get at nearly every single Ram dealership.

I got an average deal from him without trying very hard, about 16.5% off msrp for the longhorn trim and with the 0%. His dealer discount right off the bat was over 13%, and got some additional percentage off for a rebate/coupons.

Either way good luck with your search.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Which ever way you go I hope you have years of trouble free ownership .

jth877

Reaction score
It certainly isn't a buyers market right now. I don't ever remember toyota going below 1%-2% over invoice plus any measly incentive.

Last September I leased a 2020 hemi crew cab big horn with some good options. Sticker was $50,560, my total cost if I purchase it at the end of lease is $38,800. About 23.3% off msrp. The way the incentives worked out it was cheaper to lease by $1200 If you plan to buy it out at the end. Plus you're not paying taxes on the full buying cost if you lease and plan to buy. You only pay tax on the buyout amount. In NY, it's 7-8% so that's another $2k or so you can weasel your way out of. Toyota leasing is pretty bad. You will end up paying sticker or a bit over if you lease and plan to buy at the end.

As for quality... I think the RAM is designed well, but put together by monkeys. People are usually complaining about loose fasteners and clunk sounds because some suspension bolt wasn't tightened to spec. My body mount bolts were loose from the factory. Torqued then down and no more front clunk under my feet. My truck is more comfortable and enjoyable to drive than just about any car I've owned. Very quiet, roomy and the controls are second nature. The entertainment system is very easy to use.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
I'm giving a Ram dealer one last chance - I just basically pulled a build very similar to what I want from an out of state dealer website and told them - this is what I want, this is what I will pay and I am ok if you need to order.

If they can get close - we can deal. I mean obviously buying out of state is going to cost me something getting the truck here.

If they can't do it - I'll go Toyota. As I've said I don't think either brand is perfect - yes Ram has more complaints...you get that when you build things that aren't basic. Honestly- I read how horrible GM is and yet I have had 0 issues with my Chevy and ditto for my Ford from work. Alot has to do with how you maintain things and how proactive you are in addressing issues.

I'll be happy with either. My happiness has never been controlled by what I drive. Ram is so tempting with the finance incentives - Toyota I'd likely pay most all in cash...Ram I can just toss the $$ I'd use for the vehicle in the market and pull back a 2% a month to pay the note. Worst case I break even in 72 months and have zero left in the account. Making 3% isn't hard - and 5% I think is a realistic goal - low risk/dividend plays and writing covered calls to generate a little income.

Users who are viewing this thread