5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conflicting Oil Standards in Owners Manual

Smon

Reaction score
Can someone link the supplemental book for the ecodiesel? I had my free oil change at my local dealer. After getting the receipt they put in rotella t6 as well as 11 quarts. The dipstick is 1.5” above the full mark.

Spoke with a manager who says I am wrong on the info.

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new fourth generation of the owners manual has the correct info in it, there is no longer a diesel supplement book.

It doesn’t actually say “pennzoil platinum euro” it says the oil must meet ms-12991 spec along with API-sn which rotella does not meet.

The lack of communication within FCA makes me wonder how they can stay in business. You’d think something as important as incorrect engine oil would be fixed and all dealers notified, but nope.

Last edited:

biodiesel

Reaction score
The lack of communication within FCA makes me wonder how they can stay in business. You’d think something as important as incorrect engine oil would be fixed and all dealers notified, but nope.

I would blame the dealer, not FCA. My dealer knows exactly which oil to use. That tells me that some dealers are competent and some dealers are not.

Smon

Reaction score
Service manager hasn’t heard a single thing about it. I’m am taking it back tomorrow and already emailed him the info. He is reaching out to his FCA rep as well.
Either way, for me, the biggest issue was overfilling the truck by 2.5 quarts. That is significant and Im worried about aeration of the oil.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Service manager hasn’t heard a single thing about it. I’m am taking it back tomorrow and already emailed him the info. He is reaching out to his FCA rep as well.
Either way, for me, the biggest issue was overfilling the truck by 2.5 quarts. That is significant and Im worried about aeration of the oil.

yes, that can cause some serious damage.

Smon

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what is so frustrating. I know the diesel has a warranty to 100k, so I'm not sure asking for an extended warranty helps me any. I most likely won't make it to that mileage.

They did get confirmation that they used the wrong oil from FCA. I need to go in for a drain and refill...but no pennzoil in stock.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pathetic that they don't even know how much oil it takes.

biodiesel

Reaction score
That's pathetic that they don't even know how much oil it takes.

You can go to many auto part stores and find the capacity and oil recommendation. Even Amsoil lists all the correct specs online. These independent companies get their information straight from FCA!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know FCA reps said the turbo coking is an issue, but I am willing to bet that the biggest issue is the SAPS content of the oil. FCA is probably wanting to make sure they don't continue having issues with the DPF/SCR on these trucks....hence the change to Euro oils.
Rotella t6 is a low ash low saps. The Pennzoil Euro is a mid saps high ash oil...... if anything is going to cause more coking and more dpf buildup and failures from a spec point of view.

ssgtprice5

Reaction score
Do not use the Pennzoil euro oil in the ecodiesel. I had an engine crater after 36000 miles. It sounded and felt like a old diesel engine rocked the vehicle. The shell rotella t6 5w-40. After they had replaced my engine the sent out a technical bulletin to stop using the Pennzoil and switch to Rotella T6. I now have 123000 miles on my diesel. 86000 on the new engine and no issues. Also do not buy the def off the shelf. I had a eco diesel before this one that had issues using off the shelf def. FInd a gas station that carries it at the pump. Def starts to break down when it sits on the shelf. I know that Flying J truck stops carry def that meets the same specs as the FCA diesel engine requirements.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not use the Pennzoil euro oil in the ecodiesel. I had an engine crater after 36000 miles. It sounded and felt like a old diesel engine rocked the vehicle. The shell rotella t6 5w-40. After they had replaced my engine the sent out a technical bulletin to stop using the Pennzoil and switch to Rotella T6. I now have 123000 miles on my diesel. 86000 on the new engine and no issues. Also do not buy the def off the shelf. I had a eco diesel before this one that had issues using off the shelf def. FInd a gas station that carries it at the pump. Def starts to break down when it sits on the shelf. I know that Flying J truck stops carry def that meets the same specs as the FCA diesel engine requirements.

Yeah but that's not the same engine we're talking about.

biodiesel

Reaction score
Do not use the Pennzoil euro oil in the ecodiesel.

As mentioned above, you are talking about the 2014 - 2019 2nd gen engine that comes in the 4th gen truck. We are talking about the 2020 5th gen truck with the 3rd gen EcoDiesel engine.

Also do not buy the def off the shelf. I had a eco diesel before this one that had issues using off the shelf def. FInd a gas station that carries it at the pump. Def starts to break down when it sits on the shelf. I know that Flying J truck stops carry def that meets the same specs as the FCA diesel engine requirements.

I've been using the on-shelf DEF for several years that I purchase from Wal-Mart which moves DEF quickly. The Wal-Mart brand (SuperTech) has manufacturing dates marked on the 2.5 gallons jugs so you know how old it is. I use the SuperTech in both my 2015 and 2020 with no problems. And just to clarify, all DEF is pretty much the same stuff (same ingredients) and they all meet the OEM requirements.

Smon

Reaction score
RamCares-

You have posted here saying the correct oil does not include Rotella T6/Mopar equivalent. I have been speaking with the service manager at my dealership. He was told in an email that the Rotella was not correct that they put in my truck, then in a follow up email was told that based on my VIN, it WAS correct.

So what's the deal here? Why is this such a mess? Did FCA not update VIN info for service on a block of trucks?

Can you provide actual documentation saying that Rotella T6 is incorrect and dealers must use the pennzoil plat euro or the Mopar maxpro?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The NEW gen 3 ecodiesel requires an oil that meets ms-12991 and API SN certification. Shell rotella does not meet either of these requirements.

I’ve said it before, but the lack of communication within FCA boggles my mind, especially for something as important as motor oil.

Attachments

• 5BE5C810-C3DB-4D85-A5AB-BC396C766D5E.png
    5BE5C810-C3DB-4D85-A5AB-BC396C766D5E.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 17

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The NEW gen 3 ecodiesel requires an oil that meets ms-12991 and API SN certification. Shell rotella does not meet either of these requirements.

I’ve said it before, but the lack of communication within FCA boggles my mind, especially for something as important as motor oil.
as far as your attachment, 5w40 synthetic such as .. that meets ms-12991 is recommended. API SN is required.

But wth do we know? they can't even put out a recall or TSB and my manual says rotella is recommended.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as far as your attachment, 5w40 synthetic such as .. that meets ms-12991 is recommended. API SN is required.

But wth do we know? they can't even put out a recall or TSB and my manual says rotella is recommended.

The manual was updated to version 4, it no longer mentions rotella.

Smon

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the service manager was also told by the FCA rep that the oil capacity is actually higher than the 8.5 quarts specified in the manual. That person said it really holds 11 but the dipstick is different in the 3rd gen motors.

Service Manager isn't buying that either. If the pan could safely fit 11 quarts...they would spec 11. What a mess!

biodiesel

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the service manager was also told by the FCA rep that the oil capacity is actually higher than the 8.5 quarts specified in the manual. That person said it really holds 11 but the dipstick is different in the 3rd gen motors.

Service Manager isn't buying that either. If the pan could safely fit 11 quarts...they would spec 11. What a mess!

The pan for the 3rd gen engine had to be more shallow to allow for the solid front axle to articulate in the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesels. Since cooling issues were resolved with the 5th gen grille and intercooler placement, there wasn't a need to have such a large oil capacity like the 4th gen trucks. I'm just amazed by the level of incompetence from some of these dealer/FCA employees.

Smon

Reaction score
his email back said the same thing. How can FCA be on so many different pages.
The exact wording was on the 2019+ 3rd gen ecodiesels. I pointed out that they began with 2020.

I sent a PM to RamCares but still no answer

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
his email back said the same thing. How can FCA be on so many different pages.
The exact wording was on the 2019+ 3rd gen ecodiesels. I pointed out that they began with 2020.

I sent a PM to RamCares but still no answer

Just had a chance to respond, I will be sure to provide any applicable updates here as soon as I am able to do so.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread