5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conflicting Oil Standards in Owners Manual

Smon

Reaction score
I appreciate it. I will forward the info to my service manager as well

Synergy26

Reaction score
Ram Care's. LOL. This is ridiculous, I'd like to change my oil but not sure what to do now with type and requirement.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use what is written somewhere in your owners manual that came with the truck until you receive written correspondence like a new manual or a recall from FCA/RAM telling you otherwise. Don't listen to anyone on the internet or email or by phone.

They cannot fault you for following the printed owners manual.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use what is written somewhere in your owners manual that came with the truck until you receive written correspondence like a new manual or a recall from FCA/RAM telling you otherwise. Don't listen to anyone on the internet or email or by phone.

They cannot fault you for following the printed owners manual.

This is so correct, FCA hasn’t even updated all of their dealers on what oil is correct so it’ll be years before all owners are notified. When I brought this issue up to FCA Canada they said “oh you can always request one additional free copy of your owners manual since you are the original owner”. I’m sorry but YOU (FCA) screwed up and misprinted the manuals and gave your dealers incorrect info, I shouldn’t have to request a new one because of this.

I was told by a tech at my local dealer they had to take training for the new ecodiesels and rotella was the only oil mentioned.

biodiesel

Reaction score
This is so correct, FCA hasn’t even updated all of their dealers on what oil is correct

This isn't true. Not only have dealers been notified, but all they need to do is look at their own online system. My service department knew about the change and the parts guy can see it on his computer. Some dealers are just lazy and incompetent.

Smon

Reaction score
when my dealer enters my vin into their system, it shows to use Rotella T6 (actually the mopar part # for it). That is on FCA's end.

biodiesel

Reaction score
when my dealer enters my vin into their system, it shows to use Rotella T6 (actually the mopar part # for it). That is on FCA's end.

Is this what the dealer is telling you, or did the dealer print the document and show you?

Smon

Reaction score
Showed it to me. That is also why the second response from FCA said rotella was actually correct - they used my vin that time.

Once I hear a response from Ram Cares, I will try to get a copy of that. It blows my mind that they can spend millions developing an engine and then not know what oil to use from the start.

biodiesel

Reaction score
Showed it to me. That is also why the second response from FCA said rotella was actually correct - they used my vin that time.

Once I hear a response from Ram Cares, I will try to get a copy of that. It blows my mind that they can spend millions developing an engine and then not know what oil to use from the start.

I must confess that I'm a little surprised. 5 months ago, my dealer could tell right away that the new oil was Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and/or Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40. FCA said the new oil must meet MS-12991 and have the API SN Certification/Standard/Approval.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Hey Ram Cares, lol.
How about you respond and clear this up for the owners!

Smon

Reaction score
Ramcares sent me a PM. Just a screenshot of the manual saying it must meet the two new specs and that pennzoil euro meets these. I was hoping for more, but I honestly don't think they know what is going on.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ramcares sent me a PM. Just a screenshot of the manual saying it must meet the two new specs and that pennzoil euro meets these. I was hoping for more, but I honestly don't think they know what is going on.

Ya something fishy is going on at engineering, with all of the ongoing issues these new DT trucks are experiencing and lack of solid answers it’s been a rough ride.

biodiesel

Reaction score
There's no confusion. Ram quickly changed the specs not long after the truck was released with the updated MS-12991. Several people have pulled UOA samples and have found that the MS-12991 is doing the job (protecting the engine). There's nothing to be concerned about. There are guys now with over 25,000 miles on this engine with no problems.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I do apologize for the delay in my response, as I was awaiting a follow up from our engineering team on this matter. I have been advised that diesel oils like Shell Rotella should not be used as they will cause turbo coking and associated concerns as this engine has lower engine pressure than previous generation engines. Please know that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro has moved to SN+ with new formulation and it has not been validated. There are plans to test the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SP grade oil as soon as the virus situation progresses. Please do not hesitate to reach back out down the road, as I am happy to provide any additional updates I can.

Mark
RamCares

So now that more time has passed and we've seen blown engines and engines with oil blowing out of the fill cap, further digging shows that those owners had been using Rotella in their engines. Just FYI.... DON'T use Rotella.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil coming out the the intake or cap is almost always overfilled or foaming. without overfilling to where the cranks beats the oil, it is practically impossible for any modern oil to foam. Rotella is the gold standard for diesel oils. it is not going to randomly grenade engines because some marketing changed.

I'll bet the real reason is the crappy dipstick in these engines making the fresh oil levels difficult to read. Use good lighting and a magnifying glass if you need to. Don't overfill or underfill your engine, and always double check the work anyone does. Most shops, dealer or otherwise are incompetent and the lube jockeys are not paid enough to care if they put the right oil in or not, or check the proper levels, or even bother to change the oil or filter at all.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I know it cost out the ***, but I'll just keep letting the dealership do the oil and filter changes, so if I do encounter a problem it will be solely on them.

ssgtprice5

Reaction score
I had a 2016 grand Cherokee with the eco diesel my engine cratered at 36,175 miles I was using the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 soon after I was told by FCA to use rotella t6
I saw the technical bulletin they put out saying the pen soil is not getting to all parts of the engine (paraphrased don’t remember exact wording) I drove the Jeep to 123000 and just order the ram longhorn can’t wait to it gets here and I will only put t6 in it

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2016 grand Cherokee with the eco diesel my engine cratered at 36,175 miles I was using the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 soon after I was told by FCA to use rotella t6
I saw the technical bulletin they put out saying the pen soil is not getting to all parts of the engine (paraphrased don’t remember exact wording) I drove the Jeep to 123000 and just order the ram longhorn can’t wait to it gets here and I will only put t6 in it

T6 does not meet the requirements of the new gen 3 motors. The owners manual you get will not mention rotella as the misprint has been fixed in the new version of the manual.

While I’d like to agree rotella T6 is normally the top tier of diesel oils, FCA doesn’t think so and running anything but ms12991 spec oil will cause warranty issues should something happen.

ssgtprice5

Reaction score
Hum, something I will have to discuss with the ram diesel tech at the dealership. Curious what change between the 2016 version to 2021 that the oil would cause that big of difference

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hum, something I will have to discuss with the ram diesel tech at the dealership. Curious what change between the 2016 version to 2021 that the oil would cause that big of difference
It’s pretty sad that FCA screwed this up again. The owners manuals were misprinted, dealer techs were mis-trained and service departments were given the wrong info when this new engine came out. Diesel tech at my dealer thought it was the stupidest thing ever when I showed him that rotella T6 was the wrong oil.

I THINK all dealers have been updated, but you can never be sure because when you get an oil change done there your invoice will list a FCA part number for the oil and not Pennzoil Euro.

To make things even worse pennzoil is updating their euro spec oil to the SN plus category which shouldn’t change much but as @RamCares said earlier it hasn’t been approved yet.

I will hit 26000km by the end of October with no engine related issues, several electrical issues that have all been resolved and one pending paint issue.

Users who are viewing this thread