5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I own a 2021 Ram 1500 BigHorn. I do NOT have any of the ASG features.

I've read thru this thread as well as the @tbd0021 How-To thread on installing ACC and all the other ASG features.

Adding ASG isn't too $ except for the windshield. I can do everything else myself and parts aren't too expensive. I already have AlfaOBD from adding TTPMS to my truck.

My question is - does the Comma over-ride the camera in the DASM?

I'm wondering with Comma if I could install all the equipment - including the DASM - but not replace the windshield. Just tuck the DASM behind the rearview mirror housing - or maybe crudely mount it. I realize I wouldn't be able to use factory ACC b/c the camera would likely never calibrate - but would Comma by chance work? I'd rather put that $ into Comma instead of a new windshield for an overall improved driving experience.

Joining the Discord also....

Thanks!
You have to replace the windshield because it has the mount for the new DASM. Otherwise you wouldn't even be able to mount it. And yes you need the windshield cut out for the camera.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted this on Monday and today my C2 finally died.... :( It is still working, but the screen is dead.

I guess that's okay. It can still drive me around while I wait on the C3x I just ordered to arrive....

I finally got around to fiddling with my C2. Still waiting on my C3X. I disconnected all the wiring inside the DASM area, checked for any wires that felt loose in their molex connectors, didn't find any, put it all back together, and now my C2 seems to be working again. It drove me to lunch and back...

I guess the reports of its demise were greatly exaggerated... LOL!

dh66

Reaction score
I could fab up a mount for the DASM that would be close . The glue that mounts the rearview mirror "button" to the glass is very strong. Probably the same glue with the correct/factory mount. (Not sure if the lines in the correct windshield "notch" are defrost lines or needed for calibration - that would be a bigger issue.)

Was hoping the Comma camera would override the DASM camera - which is why I asked. Since it does NOT override the DASM camera - no point continuing with the idea of making the project more economically feasible

Thanks

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I could fab up a mount for the DASM that would be close . The glue that mounts the rearview mirror "button" to the glass is very strong. Probably the same glue with the correct/factory mount. (Not sure if the lines in the correct windshield "notch" are defrost lines or needed for calibration - that would be a bigger issue.)
Please don't do that.
The DASM is not glued to your windshield, it is screwed in...

Thus that is why it's a differnet windshield, it has the mounts on the windshield from the factory before it's even placed on your truck.

dh66

Reaction score
The MOUNT is glued to the windshield not the DASM. That's what I said I could fab up - which wouldn't be difficult. My entire ? was about what camera Comma uses - that has been answered so my idea won't work.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The MOUNT is glued to the windshield not the DASM. That's what I said I could fab up - which wouldn't be difficult. My entire ? was about what camera Comma uses - that has been answered so my idea won't work.
Ohhhhh.
You can also get a mount that screws into the bottom of the DASM. A few people 3d print them on the cheap.
I misunderstood and thought you were trying to glue the entire DASM onto the windshield LOL.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ohhhhh.
You can also get a mount that screws into the bottom of the DASM. A few people 3d print them on the cheap.
I misunderstood and thought you were trying to glue the entire DASM onto the windshield LOL.

That's not the mount he's talking about, either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not the mount he's talking about, either.
He was talking about the DASM and then Comma mount in 2 differnet loosely connected posts.
He talks about not replacing his windshield to installs DASM and making his own mount for the DASM and "tucking it behind the rearview mirror" then talks about the mount for the Comma became he says it is "glued to the windshield not the DASM"
I'm wondering with Comma if I could install all the equipment - including the DASM - but not replace the windshield. Just tuck the DASM behind the rearview mirror housing - or maybe crudely mount it. I realize I wouldn't be able to use factory ACC b/c the camera would likely never calibrate - but would Comma by chance work? I'd rather put that $ into Comma instead of a new windshield for an overall improved driving experience.

dh66

Reaction score
Actually, I was never talking about the Comma mount. I asked if the Comma camera overrides the DASM camera - which has been answered as NO.

My hope was the Comma camera would take over for the DASM camera. If so the placement of the DASM might not be critical or possibly it would just need to be plugged in. It would not have been complicated to fab up a mount to glue to the windshield. There are some good pictures and info in this thread on what the mount looks like. Could then attach the DASM in roughly the correct location. But....it won't work b/c the DASM camera is still needed for braking and the Comma camera is for steering. It was just an idea to try and save the cost of a windshield even if it meant I had Comma but not factory ACC.

Asked and answered - thanks for the replies.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received my C3x last Thursday. I was told that it would not fit in the C2 mount. I'm waiting to receive a DASM mount for it, so I decided not to try and install it before driving from SC to FL on Friday for Christmas.

5.5 hour drive down on Friday, using my C2. It worked fine. Like it always has.

Saturday, I was just hanging out at my folks' house, so I decided to just see for myself if the C3x would fit in the C2 mount - and it does! It fit perfectly. Sweet! Time to change over, work on getting it all setup how I want, and be ready for my drive home to SC from FL today.

I ended up running SunnyPilot staging-c3 fork/branch.

Settings that I can remember:

Custom Stock Longitudinal Control: Enabled
SLC: Enabled
V-STC: Enabled
Enforce Lateral Torque Control: Enabled
Self-tuning: Enabled
Less Restricted Self-tuning: Enabled
NNFF: Enabled (it says my truck is a fuzzy match. Exact match is ideal)
OSM Offline maps: Enabled
Mapset downloaded: Entire US

In the SLC, I set it to automatically change the ACC set speed, based on the speed limit. I set it to always go 10 MPH over the speed limit.

Lane change: Set to automatically change lanes after just holding the turn signal on for 0.5 seconds.

The drive back from SC today was awesome. The C2 was awesome, but this new version of OpenPilot (which requires a C3 or C3x) is SO much nicer!

Improvements that I really like, in no particular order:

- Change lanes using only the turn signal.
- when I come to a curve that is sharp enough, the truck automatically slows down for the curve, then speeds back up. This does not work for super sharp, really slow turns - i.e. what is really a turn and not just a curve - but it seemed to work pretty darn well for things like a 70 MPH speed limit road where you come to a curve that is marked 55 or 60.
- I can step on the brakes and the Comma continues to steer the truck. One example: Going through a curve and see I'm approaching a stop. I step on the brakes and eventually come to a stop, all without having to touch the steering wheel. Way nicer than with the C2 where I had to have hold of the steering wheel before touching the brakes in that scenario.
- Driving along and the speed limit changes and the ACC's set speed changes to match. E.g. I'm driving in a 60 MPH zone. Based on the rule I set, the ACC set speed is 70. Then the speed limit changes to 50. The ACC set speed automatically drops to 60, so the truck slows down. Speed limit goes back up to 60 and the ACC set speed automatically goes back up to 70. This was really great today on the GA highways that would take me through a small town. If I didn't hit a red light, I could drive right on through town, keeping my speed to 10 over the limit, all the way, without ever touching the brakes, gas, or steering wheel.

The one big deficiency in the C2 that I didn't get to test is how it does at navigating a road that is just a 2-lane with a center line, but no paint at all on the right side of the lane. With the C2, when it was just asphalt to grass, with no paint line, my C2 would try to have me driving with the right side wheels literally on the grass. I'm hoping the C3x cures that, but I didn't go on any roads like that today.

On the whole automatic speed change thing:

- In my case, it "knows" the speed limit based on the map data I downloaded. It's not recognizing speed limit signs or anything like that. That means that it definitely missed a speed limit change occasionally. I still had to pay attention and sometimes manually adjust the set speed up or down. It is still a great feature, though. Sometimes, it would slow me down when I didn't yet realize I needed to slow down. Sort of saving me from a potential ticket.

- It does have one bug. When it does not have speed limit data, it appears that it changes the ACC set speed to whatever absolute maximum you have set for it to allow. In general, the way it works is that you start driving and you hit Set on the cruise control. That is now the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) set speed. The dash AND the Comma display both show it. On the Comma, it will display "MAX" and whatever speed you set. From then on, it will never make a change to the ACC set speed to make it higher than that MAX. I call the MAX on the Comma the Cmax. I call the speed that the truck's ACC is set for, AKA its "set speed", the truck's max, AKA Tmax.

Once you have hit Set, then you have set Cmax and Tmax. After that, if the speed limit drops, the Comma will change Tmax for you, based on the rule you setup. In my case, the rule is "make Tmax be 10 MPH over the speed limit".

When the speed limit goes back up, the the Comma will increase Tmax accordingly. But, it will never set Tmax higher than Cmax (the MAX display on the Comma itself).

So, if I'm in a 55 MPH zone, I'll get up to 65 and hit Set. Now, Cmax is 65 and Tmax is 65.

I drive into a 45 zone, and Tmax drops to 55.

I get back to a 55 MPH zone and Tmax goes back up to 65.

NOW I drive into where the speed limit is 65. Cmax is 65, so even though I've told it I want to go 10 over, it will not increase Tmax above 65. So, I hit Set/+ and increase my MAX to 75. Now Cmax AND Tmax are 75, and things continue like that just fine.

The problem comes in when you are going slower than your MAX setting (slower than Cmax) and the Comma has no Speed Limit data for the road you're on. On the Comma, it will show "Speed Limit --" - and it will set Tmax to be the same as Cmax.

For example:

You were cruising on the Interstate, in a 70 MPH zone. You're set for a max of 80 MPH.

Then the road changes (say, you enter a construction zone), and the speed limit drops to 35. Cool. The Comma now drops your Tmax (i.e. the ACC set speed) from 80 down to 45. You're driving along at 45 MPH and then you get into a stretch of road where the Comma has no speed limit data. It shows "Speed Limit --" AND it raises your Tmax back up to whatever Cmax is. In this example, you're tooling along at 45 MPH, the Comma has no speed limit data, and so it jacks your cruise control back up to 80 MPH! If there's nobody in front of you, the truck just starts accelerating up to 80 unless and until you do something to stop it.

That is a very undesirable behavior, in my opinion. But, as long as you're paying attention, it's not that dangerous. You can just step on the brake and let the Comma continue to steer while you manually manage your speed with your right foot. All while continuing to eat your taco and drink your drink with your hands... ;) LOL!

Overall, it's not perfect. But, the automatic speed management when there's no speed limit data was the only really glaring issue I had. In the big picture, the C2 was great and the C3x with SunnyPilot is WAY better.

If they fix this issue with changing to an inappropriately high speed when it lacks speed limit data, and then figure out how to get it to stop automatically for red lights, stop signs, and stopped traffic, it will be dang near perfect (for a device that doesn't do full self-driving).

I was reluctant to spend the money for a C3x when my C2 was still working, but now I am really glad I did!

vincentw56

Reaction score
I received my C3x last Thursday. I was told that it would not fit in the C2 mount. I'm waiting to receive a DASM mount for it, so I decided not to try and install it before driving from SC to FL on Friday for Christmas.

5.5 hour drive down on Friday, using my C2. It worked fine. Like it always has.

Saturday, I was just hanging out at my folks' house, so I decided to just see for myself if the C3x would fit in the C2 mount - and it does! It fit perfectly. Sweet! Time to change over, work on getting it all setup how I want, and be ready for my drive home to SC from FL today.

I ended up running SunnyPilot staging-c3 fork/branch.

Settings that I can remember:

Custom Stock Longitudinal Control: Enabled
SLC: Enabled
V-STC: Enabled
Enforce Lateral Torque Control: Enabled
Self-tuning: Enabled
Less Restricted Self-tuning: Enabled
NNFF: Enabled (it says my truck is a fuzzy match. Exact match is ideal)
OSM Offline maps: Enabled
Mapset downloaded: Entire US

In the SLC, I set it to automatically change the ACC set speed, based on the speed limit. I set it to always go 10 MPH over the speed limit.

Lane change: Set to automatically change lanes after just holding the turn signal on for 0.5 seconds.

The drive back from SC today was awesome. The C2 was awesome, but this new version of OpenPilot (which requires a C3 or C3x) is SO much nicer!

Improvements that I really like, in no particular order:

- Change lanes using only the turn signal.
- when I come to a curve that is sharp enough, the truck automatically slows down for the curve, then speeds back up. This does not work for super sharp, really slow turns - i.e. what is really a turn and not just a curve - but it seemed to work pretty darn well for things like a 70 MPH speed limit road where you come to a curve that is marked 55 or 60.
- I can step on the brakes and the Comma continues to steer the truck. One example: Going through a curve and see I'm approaching a stop. I step on the brakes and eventually come to a stop, all without having to touch the steering wheel. Way nicer than with the C2 where I had to have hold of the steering wheel before touching the brakes in that scenario.
- Driving along and the speed limit changes and the ACC's set speed changes to match. E.g. I'm driving in a 60 MPH zone. Based on the rule I set, the ACC set speed is 70. Then the speed limit changes to 50. The ACC set speed automatically drops to 60, so the truck slows down. Speed limit goes back up to 60 and the ACC set speed automatically goes back up to 70. This was really great today on the GA highways that would take me through a small town. If I didn't hit a red light, I could drive right on through town, keeping my speed to 10 over the limit, all the way, without ever touching the brakes, gas, or steering wheel.

The one big deficiency in the C2 that I didn't get to test is how it does at navigating a road that is just a 2-lane with a center line, but no paint at all on the right side of the lane. With the C2, when it was just asphalt to grass, with no paint line, my C2 would try to have me driving with the right side wheels literally on the grass. I'm hoping the C3x cures that, but I didn't go on any roads like that today.

On the whole automatic speed change thing:

- In my case, it "knows" the speed limit based on the map data I downloaded. It's not recognizing speed limit signs or anything like that. That means that it definitely missed a speed limit change occasionally. I still had to pay attention and sometimes manually adjust the set speed up or down. It is still a great feature, though. Sometimes, it would slow me down when I didn't yet realize I needed to slow down. Sort of saving me from a potential ticket.

- It does have one bug. When it does not have speed limit data, it appears that it changes the ACC set speed to whatever absolute maximum you have set for it to allow. In general, the way it works is that you start driving and you hit Set on the cruise control. That is now the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) set speed. The dash AND the Comma display both show it. On the Comma, it will display "MAX" and whatever speed you set. From then on, it will never make a change to the ACC set speed to make it higher than that MAX. I call the MAX on the Comma the Cmax. I call the speed that the truck's ACC is set for, AKA its "set speed", the truck's max, AKA Tmax.

Once you have hit Set, then you have set Cmax and Tmax. After that, if the speed limit drops, the Comma will change Tmax for you, based on the rule you setup. In my case, the rule is "make Tmax be 10 MPH over the speed limit".

When the speed limit goes back up, the the Comma will increase Tmax accordingly. But, it will never set Tmax higher than Cmax (the MAX display on the Comma itself).

So, if I'm in a 55 MPH zone, I'll get up to 65 and hit Set. Now, Cmax is 65 and Tmax is 65.

I drive into a 45 zone, and Tmax drops to 55.

I get back to a 55 MPH zone and Tmax goes back up to 65.

NOW I drive into where the speed limit is 65. Cmax is 65, so even though I've told it I want to go 10 over, it will not increase Tmax above 65. So, I hit Set/+ and increase my MAX to 75. Now Cmax AND Tmax are 75, and things continue like that just fine.

The problem comes in when you are going slower than your MAX setting (slower than Cmax) and the Comma has no Speed Limit data for the road you're on. On the Comma, it will show "Speed Limit --" - and it will set Tmax to be the same as Cmax.

For example:

You were cruising on the Interstate, in a 70 MPH zone. You're set for a max of 80 MPH.

Then the road changes (say, you enter a construction zone), and the speed limit drops to 35. Cool. The Comma now drops your Tmax (i.e. the ACC set speed) from 80 down to 45. You're driving along at 45 MPH and then you get into a stretch of road where the Comma has no speed limit data. It shows "Speed Limit --" AND it raises your Tmax back up to whatever Cmax is. In this example, you're tooling along at 45 MPH, the Comma has no speed limit data, and so it jacks your cruise control back up to 80 MPH! If there's nobody in front of you, the truck just starts accelerating up to 80 unless and until you do something to stop it.

That is a very undesirable behavior, in my opinion. But, as long as you're paying attention, it's not that dangerous. You can just step on the brake and let the Comma continue to steer while you manually manage your speed with your right foot. All while continuing to eat your taco and drink your drink with your hands... ;) LOL!

Overall, it's not perfect. But, the automatic speed management when there's no speed limit data was the only really glaring issue I had. In the big picture, the C2 was great and the C3x with SunnyPilot is WAY better.

If they fix this issue with changing to an inappropriately high speed when it lacks speed limit data, and then figure out how to get it to stop automatically for red lights, stop signs, and stopped traffic, it will be dang near perfect (for a device that doesn't do full self-driving).

I was reluctant to spend the money for a C3x when my C2 was still working, but now I am really glad I did!
Just an FYI, all the custom speed control is built by SunnyPilot and is not an official OP standard. OP will handle everything differently.

lesha30

Reaction score
I've got my new C3x installed today, and took it out on the freeway. One thing I noticed is that it tends to perform corrective steering constantly to try and keep you dead in the center of the lane. Small movements of the wheel, but they are non-stop. Seems very aggressive and excessive, borderline oversteering. Have you seen this behavior? What settings could be adjusted to reduce it?

I'm running SunnyPilot 0.9.5.3 Release C3.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I've got my new C3x installed today, and took it out on the freeway. One thing I noticed is that it tends to perform corrective steering constantly to try and keep you dead in the center of the lane. Small movements of the wheel, but they are non-stop. Seems very aggressive and excessive, borderline oversteering. Have you seen this behavior? What settings could be adjusted to reduce it?

I'm running SunnyPilot 0.9.5.3 Release C3.

Come to our Discord so we can help you. There's a fork posted just now to help with this.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Which fork? Ty

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
It's in the general section. It's a test from someone that if it works, they will pull into SunnyPilot. Just need so testing.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Should I choose a different vehicle in Sunnypilot and use the non-adaptive cruise control in order to use these experimental features?
821994822c4319db6d1d11f867e05dc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Experimental has worked on my 21 1500. Some settings will be grayed out but become available if the unit is out of truck and using house power or according to some if the truck is off. My c3 is particular about which power source I use. Vehicle results vary from Ram to Ram. I found experimental and auto speed change too extreme for my use. I would say find something that works and stick with it but I never do. have fun

nemecham

Reaction score
It actually mounts to the DASM cover as close as possible to the Mirror.
They are $20 Shipped. My Paypal is [email protected].
Please include your Shipping address.

Here you go:
@Malodave Are you still selling these mounts? I am considering the Comma3 and would prefer to go this route.

Also, does anyone know if the Comma3 will work with an already installed FitcamX? I am wondering if it hangs too low on the bezel and if it would interfere with the Comma3’s line of sight.

vincentw56

Reaction score
@Malodave Are you still selling these mounts? I am considering the Comma3 and would prefer to go this route.

Also, does anyone know if the Comma3 will work with an already installed FitcamX? I am wondering if it hangs too low on the bezel and if it would interfere with the Comma3’s line of sight.

Got a pic of the FitcamX mounted.

Also, you can send me a PM. I've been selling the mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online