5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

Aquaman95

Reaction score
Are there any particular settings recommendations or is there a guide somewhere that discusses the different options?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are there any particular settings recommendations or is there a guide somewhere that discusses the different options?

Also, there is a newer and better update coming.

emsgran

Reaction score
Just returned from a 4-week, 6000 mile trip towing a small fiberglass 5th-wheel. Left Kentucky, swung by Niagara Falls and then up the St. Lawrence -- Montreal, Quebec City, Rinouski, New Brunswick, Maine, Nova Scotia, and then took the ferry up to Newfoundland and all the way up to L'Anse aux Meadows.

The Ram was perfect. The Comma3 made it possible for this 61-yr-old to drive safely all those miles.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just returned from a 4-week, 6000 mile trip towing a small fiberglass 5th-wheel. Left Kentucky, swung by Niagara Falls and then up the St. Lawrence -- Montreal, Quebec City, Rinouski, New Brunswick, Maine, Nova Scotia, and then took the ferry up to Newfoundland and all the way up to L'Anse aux Meadows.

The Ram was perfect. The Comma3 made it possible for this 61-yr-old to drive safely all those miles.
Wow, 6000 miles! I just did a 2000-mile round trip this past weekend and, despite the fact that I love my truck, I don’t want to do that again for a long while.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow, 6000 miles! I just did a 2000-mile round trip this past weekend and, despite the fact that I love my truck, I don’t want to do that again for a long while.
Well it was 6k miles over 4 weeks, so 1500 miles a week?
Still a lot but a lot more manageable vs a 2k weekend trip (were you driving the entire weekend lol?)

RedSquirrel

Reaction score
Any chance I could get a Discord Invite?

Also does anyone know where I could get a MaloDave Mount? Or if there is any other recommended mounts available?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any chance I could get a Discord Invite?

Also does anyone know where I could get a MaloDave Mount? Or if there is any other recommended mounts available?
I am here. The Mounts are $20 shipped USPS.
My Paypal is [email protected]. Please include your shipping Address.

Malodave

RedSquirrel

Reaction score
I am here. The Mounts are $20 shipped USPS.

Malodave

Paypal sent. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks so much for everything you have posted and helped with on this forum.

I asked a question in the adding ACC thread but haven't gotten an answer.
If I ordered the wrong center stack will I still be able to use the Comma?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Paypal sent. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks so much for everything you have posted and helped with on this forum.

I asked a question in the adding ACC thread but haven't gotten an answer.
If I ordered the wrong center stack will I still be able to use the Comma?
As long as the center stack has the LKAS button, you can use it. You need LKAS and ACC to use OpenPilot.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Malodave (or anyone else):

My buddy just bought a '23 RAM 1500 and ordered a Comma 3.

Do you have a mount for it to attach to the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror (instead of gluing to the windshield)?

And, is the driver-facing camera on the Comma 3 wide angle enough to properly "see" the driver when mounted there? (recalling that my Comma 2 is not wide angle enough and when it was mounted there, it could only see half my face and constantly gave me "pay attention" alerts)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Malodave (or anyone else):

My buddy just bought a '23 RAM 1500 and ordered a Comma 3.

Do you have a mount for it to attach to the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror (instead of gluing to the windshield)?

And, is the driver-facing camera on the Comma 3 wide angle enough to properly "see" the driver when mounted there? (recalling that my Comma 2 is not wide angle enough and when it was mounted there, it could only see half my face and constantly gave me "pay attention" alerts)
Yes, I have some Printed. The Driver Camera can see both Left and Right hand drive. Pick which one you need.
Mine only gives me problems if I am wearing a reflective Safety Shirt. It blinds the camera from the IR LEDs

The Mounts are $20 shipped USPS.

MirrorMountFront.jpg

MirrorMountRear.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I have some Printed. The Driver Camera can see both Left and Right hand drive. Pick which one you need.
Mine only gives me problems if I am wearing a reflective Safety Shirt. It blinds the camera from the IR LEDs

The Mounts are $20 shipped USPS.

Thanks, Dave. I am confused. You said to pick which one I need. What am I choosing from? You have one that is for Left and one for Right hand drive?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can look out the drivers side window constantly with no warning. But, if I look at the wife when she is talking, it gets jealous and hollers at me to pay attention🤔.
Your face probably goes out of frame, so it doesn't see it, but the other way it does.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy bought a '23 Limited 1500 Hemi/eTorque last week. He received his Comma 3 on Friday. I received the mount from @Malodave on Saturday (while I was out of town for the weekend). So, today I installed the Comma 3 in my buddy's truck for him.

We set his C3 up on the normal release of OP from Comma.

We started driving around and it displayed a message about Unable to get GPS position, or something like that. Under that it said something like "if your device has a clear view of the sky, you may have a hardware failure."

This dialog would display and not go away and it took up about 1/3 of the screen, making it very difficult to actually use OP.

Is this something that is normal, as a result of installing the C3 using malodave's mount, right below all those electronics behind the mirror, instead of gluing it directly to the windshield? The C3 is hanging down right behind the mirror, from the mount that attaches to the underside of the big plastic housing around the rearview mirror stalk.

We're wondering if my buddy received a defective unit and needs to do an exchange with Comma.

After a test drive to verify that everything else worked, but that GPS message not going away, we uninstalled OP and installed the SunnyPilot release fork for C3. We did another test drive and no GPS message. SunnyPilot seemed to work well.

The original OP would not steer the truck below 32 MPH, at all. SunnyPilot seemed to do steer-to-zero just fine. I was surprised that OEM OP would not steer below 32 - and I mean, at all. Even after driving above 32 and then slowing back down, it still would not steer.

Is SunnyPilot the best fork for running on a '23 RAM 1500, or is there a RealFast or other fork that would be better?

@Malodave apologies for sending you basically the same questions in PM and then posting here as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My buddy bought a '23 Limited 1500 Hemi/eTorque last week. He received his Comma 3 on Friday. I received the mount from @Malodave on Saturday (while I was out of town for the weekend). So, today I installed the Comma 3 in my buddy's truck for him.

We set his C3 up on the normal release of OP from Comma.

We started driving around and it displayed a message about Unable to get GPS position, or something like that. Under that it said something like "if your device has a clear view of the sky, you may have a hardware failure."

This dialog would display and not go away and it took up about 1/3 of the screen, making it very difficult to actually use OP.

Is this something that is normal, as a result of installing the C3 using malodave's mount, right below all those electronics behind the mirror, instead of gluing it directly to the windshield? The C3 is hanging down right behind the mirror, from the mount that attaches to the underside of the big plastic housing around the rearview mirror stalk.

We're wondering if my buddy received a defective unit and needs to do an exchange with Comma.

After a test drive to verify that everything else worked, but that GPS message not going away, we uninstalled OP and installed the SunnyPilot release fork for C3. We did another test drive and no GPS message. SunnyPilot seemed to work well.

The original OP would not steer the truck below 32 MPH, at all. SunnyPilot seemed to do steer-to-zero just fine. I was surprised that OEM OP would not steer below 32 - and I mean, at all. Even after driving above 32 and then slowing back down, it still would not steer.

Is SunnyPilot the best fork for running on a '23 RAM 1500, or is there a RealFast or other fork that would be better?

@Malodave apologies for sending you basically the same questions in PM and then posting here as well.
You can get quicker responses in the Discord for future reference people seem to live on that thing.
The software is very differnet between the differnet builds\forks.
Stock OP is basically useless with these trucks it seems.

I was on Sunnypilot at first and it was terrible so I went to Realfast. Now Sunnypilot works better for me.
I have never seen a GPS message, that sounds like either a fluke or the bad software (my bet is on the software)

For sunnypilot you want to be using this build fork installer generator
For Realfast which is like stock OP, but with the Ram adjustments like more torque and stuffs use fork installer generator

With any build you need to engage OP above 32 mph, then you can use it at whatever. Speed up to 33, tag it, then you can engage it whenever you want. Some trucks only "steer to 7" and others to 0, this just means that from 1-6mph your truck will just go straight and not turn, not a very common thing unless you are in traffic taking turns and using it to drive for you.

If you don't want to tinker and just want it to work good enough I would do RamRelease (the second link)
If you are okay with tinkering and have no idea what bugs are normal and what is not normal then SunnyPilot Release-C3.
This is the dev build for Sunnypilot which is "newer" then the first link which is considered the stable version fork installer generator I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think there is anything special in there for Ram trucks yet.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread