5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

djwdjw

Reaction score
I use comma in traffic with stop and go, and it works surprisingly well. It does have a lag before going when traffic starts to move, so I usually use the gas to get going. Otherwise, if I wait for the truck to go there is more space than I like, and the person behind me probably thinks I'm daydreaming.
Been following this thread and have a question...

Does comma improve somehow upon the factory ACC? I find the factory ACC is also like Trooper4's comment above, but not sure what it does differently.

Thanks.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Does comma improve somehow upon the factory ACC? I find the factory ACC is also like Trooper4's comment above, but not sure what it does differently.

Thanks.
As of right now it uses the trucks ACC. I’ll put it to you like this highway usage it is absolutely perfect driving itself but in the city you will have to make turns or curves that are sharp (as of now), it does not pick up traffic lights or stop signs (yet) so it won’t stop unless someone’s in front of you because it uses trucks ACC. Now depending on how you use your ACC + or - it will help gradually stop and go quicker off of the line. You can always hit the petal to override but it does not take steer control away. I myself do not have any issues with it starting off the line from stop I think it does a really good job of going once traffic starts. I love my Comma 3 and the community is great and continually working to make it better everyday and will soon be fully self driving. One of the great things is that you can take control (or if you have to) and immediately go back to self driving after you’ve completed whatever you were doing. I hope this clarifies your question.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks.
Comma steers in addition to what ACC does. I am in my mid 70's and can do a 600+ mile drive with no fatigue. In traffic with steer to zero, I never have to touch the wheel, but do have to bump the gas because of the lag in moving so other drivers don't think I died.
Here is a video from a year ago.
.It performs better now, but if you want to get into it further get on discord in the comma groups at Join the Ram OpenPilot Community Discord Server!

djwdjw

Reaction score
Comma steers in addition to what ACC does.

Thanks @Trooper4 - Yeah I get the steer part (already following the discord a couple months back).

Better phrasing my question "does Comma somehow improve on the OEM ACC function, or does it just use the OEM ACC?"

I find the OEM ACC (if Comma just engages that as part of it's functionality), fair and when in stop-and-go just marginal because of the lags in it's decision-making in traffic, causing some abrupt stops and large gaps.

Thanks again for clarification.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @Trooper4 - Yeah I get the steer part (already following the discord a couple months back).

Better phrasing my question "does Comma somehow improve on the OEM ACC function, or does it just use the OEM ACC?"

I find the OEM ACC (if Comma just engages that as part of it's functionality), fair and when in stop-and-go just marginal because of the lags in it's decision-making in traffic, causing some abrupt stops and large gaps.

Thanks again for clarification.
At this time it passes through the ACC, but as it improves and we get OP long (longitudinal) control, it will take over all functions for gas, breaks, Navigation controls and steering. If you go to you tube for
. I am on sunnypilot, and I just do the hard turns for streets/intersections, and use the turn signal for lane change and off ramps.
Also, in sunnypilot it uses MADS to steer while I control gas and breaks which I like at times.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At thin time it passes through the ACC, but as it improves and we get OP long (longitudinal) control, it will take over all functions for gas, breaks, Navigation controls and steering. If you go to you tube and look for drive to taco bell. I am on sunnypilot, and I just do the hard turns for streets/intersections, and use the turn signal for lane change and off ramps.
This is correct it uses trucks ACC but as new FW comes out as @Trooper4 eludes to it will take over our trucks ACC. I personally don’t have issues with my trucks ACC but that could be perspective but I make sure to use my +/- for distance to come to gradual stops and for acceleration. In the city if you just leave it mid/max distance it will take longer to accelerate and have more abrupt stops.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

I have been watching Comma for a while and at some point will make the leap. I just am not driving enough at present in locations where the lane centering Comma does with the existing OEM ACC function would add much for me (I gather it steers reasonably well with a defined lane to about 32mph, and ACC for speed/forward traffic). What highway I do get is mostly gridlock mode where I really don't think ACC works very well (unless you want to cut in front of me or honk from behind when it is sleeps).

Steer to 0 would also be a good addition if it comes to pass.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have been watching Comma for a while and at some point will make the leap. I just am not driving enough at present in locations where the lane centering Comma does with the existing OEM ACC function would add much for me (I gather it steers reasonably well with a defined lane to about 32mph, and ACC for speed/forward traffic). What highway I do get is mostly gridlock mode where I really don't think ACC works very well (unless you want to cut in front of me or honk from behind when it is sleeps).

Some firmware utilizes S20 at this time, mine included, and lane centering at speeds in excess of 32 are great, as I routinely use it on the freeway at 75/80. It also works reasonably well on country roads with no lane markings at all. If you do make the jump, I am sure you will enjoy it.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have steer to 0 in mine so I love it but to each their own!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Take the Leap! You will not regret it. If you wait and then do it, you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.
I have about 15K miles using the Comma3. Even on my 30 mile commute to work.

I know it is not perfect and it is a work in Progress. But many people are working on getting it perfected.

We just got a copy of my EPS firmware that works for Steering to Zero mph. Ready for the right person to
edit it to get more torque for the sharper turns. That will make the Comma 100% better on the RAM.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

I would also say take the leap if you are considering it.
You can read back on this thread seeing how critical I was\am about it too.
I use it for around 95%+ of my highway driving, I don't use it on small roads or city's and I don't think I ever will, as people drive like terrorists in the act around here.

If I didn't do highway driving then the device in it's current state would be worthless for me

Also one thing to note is it does use the stock ACC (it doesn't do anything with it) BUT it DOES resume from stop unlike stock ACC. Normally you need to hit the gas to re-engage the ACC, but with Comma it will stop, and when the car moves in front continue to move, so if I was grid locked on the highway I think Comma would be fine, but stock ACC will still want to kill you by speeding up really fast, slamming on breaks, etc. Better mpg not using it in grid lock situations at least for now imo because a person has the hindsight to not bother pressing the gas and just letting your car\truck roll a few feet to stop again.

St-na

Reaction score
It keeps power to it between drives. Example, you stop to get gas. It will shutoff and then it needs to boot fully. With it plugged in, it keeps it powered.
Where from power is connected, mirror? My comma lost power.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where from power is connected, mirror? My comma lost power.
Power and ground comes from the connection to the DASM. That's also where it communicates on the canbus. The only purpose of the OBD connection is for power between drives.

St-na

Reaction score
Power and ground comes from the connection to the DASM. That's also where it communicates on the canbus. The only purpose of the OBD connection is for power between drives.
DASM has a power, otherwise I would have some faults, but comma has no power. Comma works from power supply.

vincentw56

Reaction score
DASM has a power, otherwise I would have some faults, but comma has no power. Comma works from power supply.
It has power using the same USB-C? If so, then the relay box is probably bad or fault in the wiring harness.

St-na

Reaction score
It has power using the same USB-C? If so, then the relay box is probably bad or fault in the wiring harness.
Probably Relay box. Normally nothing could happened with the harness, as long it was properly build.

Aquaman95

Reaction score
Could I get an invite link to the RAM Comma Discord server? Got the device on the way today and need to start learning. Thanks!

vincentw56

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread