5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comma.ai

St-na

Reaction score
I disconnected comma power box from OBD for programming and forgot to connect it back. One week driving with power box disconnected and my comma 3 works perfectly. Good finding after 2 Year of using. What for to have this box?

Attachments

• 20230216_164756.jpg
    20230216_164756.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 27

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I disconnected comma power box from OBD for programming and forgot to connect it back. One week driving with power box disconnected and my comma 3 works perfectly. Good finding after 2 Year of using. What for to have this box?
It keeps power to it between drives. Example, you stop to get gas. It will shutoff and then it needs to boot fully. With it plugged in, it keeps it powered.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
connect.comma.ai is showing my battery voltage at 12.2v. Should I be concerned?
I don't have anything electronic wired into my truck other then stock. I wonder if I should remove the ODBC connector for a few days and see if it goes up.
Las time I drove my truck was Saturday (it's Monday).

The other day when I got in my truck I had a low battery warning on my dash until I started my truck too.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here is about 30 minutes of highway footage the other day on and interstate highway if anyone is on the fence and looking for some Ram specific footage.
Running Realfast c3beta2, I nudged to swift lanes but besides that hands off.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Here is about 30 minutes of highway footage the other day on and interstate highway if anyone is on the fence and looking for some Ram specific footage.
Running Realfast c3beta2, I nudged to swift lanes but besides that hands off.
Isn’t it a delight? Driving from Nashville to Dallas this coming week. Looking forward to letting comma do all the work.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn’t it a delight? Driving from Nashville to Dallas this coming week. Looking forward to letting comma do all the work.
Just my Daily 30 Mile Commute is great. I can't wait until we get more Steering Torque and test OP Long Control.
Leaving on the 11th for a 17 hr drive to NC.

Malodave

St-na

Reaction score
Just my Daily 30 Mile Commute is great. I can't wait until we get more Steering Torque and test OP Long Control.
Leaving on the 11th for a 17 hr drive to NC.

Malodave
I will leave on 11th for 17 hrs drive to CO. Did the same trip in December, was so easy.

Mswwi

Reaction score
I have seen where sunny has said that, but the 20221216 build has been completely stable for me. I’ve not had a single problem, and I find that the steering/centering is improved as compared to the previous (test-c3) build.

Also, my truck steers all the way to 0.
Looks like a master update was added 3 days ago. Has anyone tried that?

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Looks like a master update was added 3 days ago. Has anyone tried that?
I have updates turned off on my fork, so I don’t accidentally get something while I’m out that messes anything up. 20221216 works so good for me, I’m not necessarily looking to update. That said, I’ll probably check it out. Haha.

Mswwi

Reaction score
I have updates turned off on my fork, so I don’t accidentally get something while I’m out that messes anything up. 20221216 works so good for me, I’m not necessarily looking to update. That said, I’ll probably check it out. Haha.
Sorry. I just confirmed on Discord to not use Master; and to use the December update. Would you mind sharing your SP-Controls settings or a picture? I'm really hoping to dial min 2500 in. I have a road trip coming up on Sunday.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Sorry. I just confirmed on Discord to not use Master; and to use the December update. Would you mind sharing your SP-Controls settings or a picture? I'm really hoping to dial min 2500 in. I have a road trip coming up on Sunday.
So sorry. I didn’t see you reply till just now. Had a crazy couple of days with weather and property damage. I’m not doing anything special with 20221216. I haven’t changed the tuning numbers or anything from how they come stock in the fork. That said, I’d imagine the 2500 is gonna handle a good bit different than a 1500. Might not matter how I’ve got mine set anyway.

OG_Beaker

Reaction score
I had some extra time a few weeks ago and didn't see a lot of this type of content out there, so I decided to film the installation process for the wiring of the Comma 3 and throw it up on YouTube for anyone who it might find helpful. I will be adding some new drive videos here soon, too, as soon as I find some time to edit them.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some extra time a few weeks ago and didn't see a lot of this type of content out there, so I decided to film the installation process for the wiring of the Comma 3 and throw it up on YouTube for anyone who it might find helpful. I will be adding some new drive videos here soon, too, as soon as I find some time to edit them.

A couple of notes:

You ran the Ethernet cable across the side Curtain Airbag.
Suggest that the "A" pillar be removed with a 10 mm Socket

RAM_A_Pillar_Open.jpg

Then just pull the Weather Stripping away from the door frame to rout the wire to the ODB port.

PullDoorWeatherstripping.jpg

I also make a "Mirror Mount" that attaches to the DASM Cover and fixes the different angle of the Windshield and the Comma Device.

MirrorMountFront.jpg
MirrorMountRear.jpg

Malodave

tdb0021

Reaction score

You should post this in the discord if you're in the group. I'll pin it to the installation section

hja87

Reaction score
I just ordered a C3. Does anyone have a current discord link? Thank You.

OG_Beaker

Reaction score
A couple of notes:

You ran the Ethernet cable across the side Curtain Airbag.
Suggest that the "A" pillar be removed with a 10 mm Socket

View attachment 154240

Then just pull the Weather Stripping away from the door frame to rout the wire to the ODB port.

View attachment 154241

I also make a "Mirror Mount" that attaches to the DASM Cover and fixes the different angle of the Windshield and the Comma Device.

View attachment 154242
View attachment 154243

Malodave

Thanks @Malodave !

I did buy one of your mounts from you, and it's great. I didn't get into the mounting of the unit, as there's already a ton of great content there, mainly from you!

While I completely understand what you are saying about the a-pillar airbag, I am not sure that I 100% agree. I was looking to capture the easiest low-touch solution that the majority of the general public would be comfortable doing. If I am being honest as well, I don't see much risk in crossing the top corner of the A-pillar. By tucking it into that seam and then down the inside crease of the weather stripping, should an airbag deployment occur, the wire would simply be directed down with plenty of slack given that the release of the a-pillar itself would also loosen and release the wire that is run along the weather seal seam. That was the intention behind using the outside seam versus crossing over the airbag at a lower point. The direction that the airbag deploys is down, not out toward the driver. There is a much greater risk, in my opinion, from the a-pillar itself being a hard plastic than a soft, flexible, and more importantly, loose (with lots of slack) cable being thrown around the cabin during a deployment.

That being said, I always appreciate feedback and am happy to re-film the installation when I get some time with directions on how to remove the a-pillar and route under the airbag. It is a few extra steps that some people will not feel comfortable with given the proximity to the airbag, but, to your point, it does eliminate any risk, however small it may be.

Thanks for the feedback and the great mounting solution.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
T
Thanks @Malodave !

I did buy one of your mounts from you, and it's great. I didn't get into the mounting of the unit, as there's already a ton of great content there, mainly from you!

While I completely understand what you are saying about the a-pillar airbag, I am not sure that I 100% agree. I was looking to capture the easiest low-touch solution that the majority of the general public would be comfortable doing. If I am being honest as well, I don't see much risk in crossing the top corner of the A-pillar. By tucking it into that seam and then down the inside crease of the weather stripping, should an airbag deployment occur, the wire would simply be directed down with plenty of slack given that the release of the a-pillar itself would also loosen and release the wire that is run along the weather seal seam. That was the intention behind using the outside seam versus crossing over the airbag at a lower point. The direction that the airbag deploys is down, not out toward the driver. There is a much greater risk, in my opinion, from the a-pillar itself being a hard plastic than a soft, flexible, and more importantly, loose (with lots of slack) cable being thrown around the cabin during a deployment.

That being said, I always appreciate feedback and am happy to re-film the installation when I get some time with directions on how to remove the a-pillar and route under the airbag. It is a few extra steps that some people will not feel comfortable with given the proximity to the airbag, but, to your point, it does eliminate any risk, however small it may be.

Thanks for the feedback and the great mounting solution.
he A pillar is just 2 screws, I think it's a 10MM socket.
Takes all of 15 seconds to remove it.

I have taken mine off several times to get into stuff on the passenger side.
The cable can also sit on the headliner up top and then down the body like you would run any other cable, but hey it's your truck.

Also you talk about majhority of the public.
I would recommend that majority of the public never install this device to begin with, at least on these trucks. They are not flawless and do have their problems and the non-tech savvy, or someone who is not in-tune with their car\truck can eventually get into an accident with this and try and blame it on the device and get stuck with an at fault accident.

I also don't like running to the ODB2 port for power. Should be able to tap into power elsewhere maybe even the central usb hub but I didn't care about. I will likely just remove then Ethernet cable all together, wish they had the splitter that didn't accept the PoE in so the box was smaller.

2023-02-01 14.45.56.jpg 2023-02-01 14.46.02.jpg 2023-02-01 14.46.12.jpg 2023-02-01 14.46.43.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread