5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

Jmaloneydo

Reaction score
Yeah I too was in limbo about choosing between the ultra flex, Bak Flip MX4 of the Lomax. I contacted Luke at Truck Alterations, he explained them all to me including the pros and cons and couldn't beat the price he could do for the Lomax so I pulled the trigger on that one. It just arrived yesterday and I'm putting it on tomorrow! I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again Luke, you da man!

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Can anyone with the Gator ETX comment on quality over time? Really just need a cover for trips when we throw luggage in the back, so not sure that I need a hard top, and saving ~$600 is tempting. Unless one of these super deals can be had.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you still love the bed cover? leaning towards one of these
@SupremeWill yes the cover works very well for me.

What I have found, as this is my 2nd cover, when I roll it up I put a towel over the metal frame on the leading edge of the cover so that it won’t marr the finish of the fake leather top.

I did not do this with the first cover and as a result you could see the rub marks on the top. Not a big issue just an awareness item.

Last edited:

gliderpilot

Reaction score
I just spent a bunch of time researching this for myself.

The reviews are so good on the Lomax that is what I just ordered.

asac12

Reaction score
I also spent a crazy amount of time researching different covers as this is my first truck. After a few snow falls, I realized pushing snow out of the bed is really lame and I had to make a decision. I ended up getting a Revolver X4. So far so good with the cover.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
I was going to go with the Lopro roll up, but after reading all the reviews I'm leaning towards the Lomax. Everyone around here swears by bakflip but the guys on here make a strong case for Lomax and it looks good with the hidden weather stripping.

Draw007

Reaction score
Re: Lomax, if they’d only add a locking mechanism it looks like it would be perfect. Just struggling with the fact it can be opened with a coat hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creep0321

Reaction score
Re: Lomax, if they’d only add a locking mechanism it looks like it would be perfect. Just struggling with the fact it can be opened with a coat hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How? Is there a video of this or something?

truckalter

Reaction score
The theory is that any of the covers that have a draw cable across the rear to release the latch can be opened by pushing a coat hangar with a hook on it through between the cover and tailgate, hooking the cable and pulling to release the cover.

I have been in this business for 15 years and my opinion is that while its possible it rarely to never happens. Much the same as the soft cover will just get cut open theory. It could happen but I have seen 2 cases in 15 years.

Someone could spend time fishing around for the cable with a coat hanger but it will take time and skill and it would be much faster to just use a large screwdriver or pry bar to force the cover open. Not to mention that by the coat hangar standard your cab isn't secure either as people get into those all the time when they lock themselves out...

Jmaloneydo

Reaction score
So I got the Lomax on, took me about 40 min to get it on correctly. Looks nice, very sturdy, and secure as well. Not so sure about the coat hangar thing to break in, but I suppose if someone really wanted to break in they could, crowbar would work too. But it will certainly keep the honest people honest. Very happy with my choice. And I've taken it thru a power style car wash and completely dry up by the cab and only a few small drops of water by the tailgate. Thanks much Luke @ Truck Alterations.

Attachments

• 20190119_130435.jpg
    20190119_130435.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 305

GoFastGoFish

Reaction score
I went with Undercover Ridglelander for the simple fact that I like to be able to transport fishing rods without worries of breaking a tip. Plus , considering the awning as well for beach fishing days.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I ordered up the diamond back HD in black with ramps and side load atv kit today. It’ll be here in about two weeks. Pricey but I’ve used them on buddies trucks and always wanted one. I can lock up my camera gear or valuables in the bed and haul larger cargo on top. 3841AEF7-CFD6-4219-AFF0-0E0E62DE644A.jpeg

gliderpilot

Reaction score
I just installed a Lomax a couple days ago, I am more impressed with the cover than
I thought I would be, very simple and nice engineering.

Appears to seal very well.

The install could not have been easier, no adjusting it just fit perfect the first time!!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a MX4, my third and last one. I’ve had them on all 3 brands now, small quality issues with each one. Just kind of tired of it, this one I had to redrill 5/6 latches to get it to fit right. Apparently that’s been common as of late with them (not sure if it’s just these trucks or across other platforms). I mean it’s a 1k dollar bed over that you have to redrill holes on to fix the latches? Naw.

Anyways, next time I will try the undercover which was my second choice. But I like that the BAK folds all the way back vs how the undercover doesn’t. Allegedly they are basically the same cover, but people seem to have less quality control issues with those. That I’ve seen anyways but I wouldn’t argue that BAK is more popular. And that means you will see more drama.

I also did the bak box this time, so far I’m liking that.

pasteris71

Reaction score
This has been the hardest decision for my truck. Paragon seems to have leaking issues because there are no drain tubes for the rails. The BAK MX 4 has seal issues. Leaning towards the Line-X. Anyone have
other recommendations? Want to stay below $1K.
I’ll tell you, I’ve had 3 tonneau covers on 3 separate trucks. I had great luck with American Tonneau tri-food. $250 shipped and it’s quality!

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I just installed a Lomax a couple days ago, I am more impressed with the cover than
I thought I would be, very simple and nice engineering.

Appears to seal very well.

The install could not have been easier, no adjusting it just fit perfect the first time!!
Do you think the Lomax will hold up if it had 2 feet of snow built up on it? I am leaning towards this brand as well...

Users who are viewing this thread