5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Nice I'll be ordering the Lomax since they updated the seals between the panels and all the good reviews I've seen

Tmains

Reaction score
People experiencing seal issues with Bakflip I feel have not installed them properly. There are literally 100's installed over on f150forum with no issues. There's a thread about it with 582 replies right now. I've been over there for about 10 years. The key to proper installation is to make sure the bed flange the rail clamps to is straight and vertical. The flange is an area that has a lot of variance.

Youre 100% Right. I have the bakflip and love it. Just need some tlc adjustments. Also they really break in during the summer when the rubber seals can heat up and mold down more.

I would never use that sealing strip either, especially if you have spray in liner. Causes the seal to sit up and water pours right in. ( learned the hard way)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had an Extang Black Max on my 2001 1500 for 17 1/2 years, replaced the cover after 10 years (never saw the inside of a garage). No complaints BUT it can be temperature sensitive. Real Truck has 10% off till Thursday. 2019 Ram, short bed, $242.10 with free shipping.

warvet

Reaction score
My undercover flex is relatively dry especially if the truck is just sitting outside (at work) all day. But I finally figured out where the water was coming from in the rear-most back corners (not a lot of water, just small amount). It only occurs when I drive, so I figured it was coming from under the truck into the gaps between bed/tailgate. So, I dried everything really good, took two small towels and placed them there and 'what da ya know' ............those towels were soaked but my bed was dry.

Again, it's a very small amount and isn't anything that bothers me. I have a lil seal along the center of that area, but it's those outside corners. All good tho........I love the cover.

MattF

Reaction score
I bought a Truxedo Pro-X15 cover for my 2019 with a 6'4" bed...….it does NOT fit....too short .....have a choice......massive gap at front or back or smaller gap at both front AND back. Obliviously it does not keep the bed dry. Several weeks of run around from manufacturer wanting me to measure the bed over and over again....finally said the bed "probably "was not a standard measurement bed

I Do not recommend these.....maybe another product from truxedo but not the Pro X15

I have the SAME issue - water pours in due to the poor fit.... stay away from the Pro X15 - working to see if I can return it and get a DRY cover

Matt

RV-Nomad

Reaction score
Just purchased a Undercover Ultra Flex from Luke @ Truck Alterations...$800 shipped to my door!!! Cant wait till the weekend so I can put it in. He quoted me the Bakflip MX4 for $755...hope I made the right decision.

geotex1

Reaction score
I installed my Lomax yesterday. Best hard folding tonneau ever IMO! I had spoken with the actual designer at Agri -Cover, which convinced me to buy. Super simple so that it is elegant in design! The matte textured black matches the bed rail caps so that the low profile cover just blends in. The way the seals wedge gives excellent sealing all the way around.

This morning I dropped my truck for PPF and ceramic coating so I will post pictures of the cover in a couple days, but the important point is that they took a soap cannon and 1200psi rinse gun to the truck as step one in prep. I popped the gate after they finished and the only sign of water was at the front corner of the bed, driver's side, which is where my spray in bedliner has the tonneau seal a little uneven. I have not had this kind of performance out of a tonneau since the 1-piece ARE lids I've had. Blows the doors off the BAK's I've had for look and performance! I won't miss the vertical fold against the window either. The Lomax is RIDICULOUSLY simple to pop off and pop back on and very lightweight. It sits perfectly on the crew cab rear floor if full removal is needed away from home.

Anyone looking at a hard folder, give the Lomax a look over! Luke delivers at excellent pricing and superior customer service too!

My only gripe is related to the packaging. It's better than most, but needs to be improved. My rails had powdercoat scratched off them because the rail attaching clamps came out of their non-sealing, plastic envelope and roamed all over the box! The rails were only wrapped together and not for protection. Had they been stretch wrapped 100%, there would have been no scratched finish. Had a ziploc been used, there would have been no scratched finish. The folded cover also needs to be in a padded sleeve. These are cheap things from U-line, and this customer would pay the extra $5 for! I am living with the scratches on the rails since they are aluminum and also because you don't see them unless the cover is folded open. In the nice weather, I'll touch them up to make them less noticeable.

file-18.jpeg file3.jpeg

Last edited:

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Help me out guys
I've read about these things until it's driving me crazy. Narrowed it down to 3. You guys that own these, what don't you like about them? Actually leaning toward the Ultra Flex right now.

UnderCover Ultra Flex
BAKFlip MX4
OEM Mopar

RV-Nomad

Reaction score
Help me out guys
I've read about these things until it's driving me crazy. Narrowed it down to 3. You guys that own these, what don't you like about them? Actually leaning toward the Ultra Flex right now.

UnderCover Ultra Flex
BAKFlip MX4
OEM Mopar

Whichever you decide, I would make sure you check out Truck Alterations before you buy. Luke saved me some serious $$$. I paid on Friday and the Ultra Flex cover was at my door on Tuesday afternoon!

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I have the SAME issue - water pours in due to the poor fit.... stay away from the Pro X15 - working to see if I can return it and get a DRY cover

Matt
I’ll just say that I have the Pro-X15 for the 5’-7” bed and it isn’t water tight but it does keep about as much water out as you can expect from a soft cover. The fit is a little finicky/tight, but I followed the spacing recommendations in the directions and am happy (and water certainly doesn’t pour in). The gasket that extends over the tailgate is.... just a hair shorter than I’d like though (needs another 1/4” IMO). Might see if I can find a way to extend that a smidge next spring.

runamuck

Reaction score
Youre 100% Right. I have the bakflip and love it. Just need some tlc adjustments. Also they really break in during the summer when the rubber seals can heat up and mold down more.

I would never use that sealing strip either, especially if you have spray in liner. Causes the seal to sit up and water pours right in. ( learned the hard way)

I have the Bakflip and have been on the road during a couple serious rain storms and have had no leaks. didnt use the tailgate seal on this one but had to use it on my 2017 sierra ccsb because I did get a little leak around the tailgate until putting the seal.

lasstss

Reaction score
I am buying the extang trifecta signature series. I had one before its canvas instead of vinyl. Very durable and looks great. These type covers are easy to remove if you need the full bed length. Just fold an put it in the bed lengthwise. Hard coves are nice but if you are on the road and need the full bed, you cant remove it.. I have a crew with the 6'4 bed.

notqwik

Reaction score
Best price I could find on a Bak Fiip F1 was $800 from Lucas Kyle at <[email protected]>. Called the usual Autoanything etc, all were $900 after texting and getting the "special price" These guys were $100 bucks less with no back and forth. Will be ordering more stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread