5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL wire tap for topper

ammdrew

Reaction score
So this is my connector from under the cab. the Brake signal pin is present so now I need to taknapart the other side and see if it has a nice little wire just waiting to be clipped into.

Attachments

• 1C7149BE-9B81-400B-88FF-ED9848A99A0E.jpeg
    1C7149BE-9B81-400B-88FF-ED9848A99A0E.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 193

ammdrew

Reaction score
The pin is brake. I have confirmed it functions correctly. Next will be to buy a pin kit, female side and then run the wire to the rear of the truck. Cavity is empty on the under harness side.

Attachments

• E817E8E6-C430-4C8A-A30A-B0F4EB2C19E9.jpeg
    E817E8E6-C430-4C8A-A30A-B0F4EB2C19E9.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 237

steindog

Reaction score
The pin is brake. I have confirmed it functions correctly. Next will be to buy a pin kit, female side and then run the wire to the rear of the truck. Cavity is empty on the under harness side.
Great research on your part! Could you possibly provide the pin kit information/part #/manufacturer once you get to that point? I would definitely be interested in following your progress to completion as valuable information. Thanks. John

ammdrew

Reaction score
finally got a revo on order so I crawled under with what I thought was the correct pin. went on and functioned correctly.. came on with brakes perfect... problem was it did not fit in the plastic housing. So I am still hunting the correct pin. If I could find a 19 in a junk yard I could just pull the harness and use one of the others as a pigtail.

ammdrew

Reaction score

The pin works for driving the brakes, has no pin on the connecting side of the harness. Trying to figure out who makes the connectors for ram on the 19’s then just a matter of figuring out the series and pin size. wire is a .50 according to Mopar site. Mopar of course does not list a repair kit or the vendor that produces the connector

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Gen 4's has a nice pigtail under the spare. Has anyone found a easy tap point to pull the third brake light signal from for a topper?
According to the local Leer and ARE Dealer, they said, ARE suggests tying into CHMSL Wire under Driver Door Sill, White White with Dark Green Stripe. Check and Verify with your Local ARE Dealer before proceeding.

geotex1

Reaction score
Quite involved way to go with this when you can just tap the CHMSL under dash or in the sill. For an LED cap light, you can direct tap but include a fuse. For an incandescent, you might need a fast acting relay because of load.

FWIW, RAMs are almost entirely wired with Yazaki connectors. Your pictures suggest a Yazaki connector to me.

Last edited:

ammdrew

Reaction score
Best reason is that it is already done. No wires cut, no holes drilled. Once the pin is located it is super simple for any person to tie into the existing connector on the spot designated for Topper Tail light on the Ram wiring diagrams.

ammdrew

Reaction score
Yazaki Says to order 68199265AA. I should have that in a week or so and can post.

ammdrew

Reaction score
that is a dodge part number.

All done works perfect. I have to say that was one of the hardest connector to push in, My block must of had some flash or something in the hole(pretty hard to see down inside) I had to double verify I had the correct connector.

I ended up using a commercial sewing needle so I could push the connector in to fully seat.

If you want to hunt the bare connector 7-1452668-1

Mopar part number 68199265AA will get you 6 wires with connectors on the end. You push or pull the weather plug out and then push in the new connector.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 222
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 215
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 221
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 226

Vincent r

Reaction score
finally got a revo on order so I crawled under with what I thought was the correct pin. went on and functioned correctly.. came on with brakes perfect... problem was it did not fit in the plastic housing. So I am still hunting the correct pin. If I could find a 19 in a junk yard I could just pull the harness and use one of the others as a pigtail.

ammdrew

Reaction score
no works fine, very similar to every topper I have ever had, But I like the look a lot better then the plastic shelf they all have been using

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think the 7 wire Y splitter in the hitch would be the easiest to connect to and shortest wire run for the CHMSL in the Cap/Canopy. Is the three blink light option a part of the bulb with a resistor?

RJS

Reaction score
I would think the 7 wire Y splitter in the hitch would be the easiest to connect to and shortest wire run for the CHMSL in the Cap/Canopy. Is the three blink light option a part of the bulb with a resistor?
Picked up a Curt adapter 56584 from Amazon Warehouse for $15. It fits between the the 7 pin connector and harness. It has both a constant 12 volt and ground source. Had to rewire it to extend the 12 v/ ground connections into the bed and shorten the other connections but it allowed me to add power to the bed and not disturb any truck wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/