5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHMSL / Third Brake Light LEDs

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question on the Dynamic Diode Cargo Light Bulb replacement:
Which Cargo Light LEDs did you go with? The HP36 (210 Lumens) or XP50 (410 Lumens)?
XP50 are double the price for double the lumens, but is the HP36 plenty?
I went with the HP36 which I think are plenty bright to light up the bed. I hard the XP50 where not noticeably brighter for the additional cost.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which Cargo Light LEDs did you go with? The HP36 (210 Lumens) or XP50 (410 Lumens)?

I got the HP36 and they are plenty bright. I can't see spending double for more when these light up everything behind you.

cra1g

Reaction score

Another HP36 vote. These are plenty bright for me (and noticeably brighter than stock).

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
who wants to spend $90.00 for " Dynamic Diode cargo light leds" ?

* I spent $14.00 on these,

71bOjmLgg6L._SL1500_.jpg

*They are so bright at night if I try and stare at them I can't help but squint my eyes.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Diode Dynamics HP36 were $40, not $90, and they'll still be working in a year. Good luck with "Auxito".
$40.00 for the (210 lumens) $90.00 for the (410 lumens)
*The Auxito LEDs I purchased over a year ago and had them in my 2014 F-150 as reverse lights and now the same pair are still kicking strong in my 3rd break light on my Ram. ;)

deanfx

Reaction score
I use DiodeDynamic for all LEDs. But I went with HP50's in the cargo lights. And they probably aren't any more noticeable than the 36.

cra1g

Reaction score
$40.00 for the (210 lumens) $90.00 for the (410 lumens)
*The Auxito LEDs I purchased over a year ago and had them in my 2014 F-150 as reverse lights and now the same pair are still kicking strong in my 3rd break light on my Ram. ;)

Reverse lights usually aren't used for more than a few seconds at a time. Look at the one-star reviews on Amazon (many have pictures or video). There's a good chance that when used as cargo lights, they're going to quit working completely, dim significantly, turn into strobe lights, or set themselves on fire. They're garbage. I'm all for saving money, but I'll only put things on my truck that are OEM-quality or better. Not even the cheapest 3rd-world auto manufacturer would ever install those on a vehicle. But seriously, good luck. I hope it's only a $14 lesson, and not a comp claim for a fire.

Last edited:

chithead

Reaction score
Awesome thread here, thank you for the information! I noticed yesterday at the dealer, when he opened the door, that the bed cargo lights looked like halogen. This just confirmed that curiosity for me. Will definitely be upgrading to the Diode Dynamics bulbs soon!

RBRK

Reaction score
True about the auxito, they burnt up in mine. Just not quality enough for the cargo lights that stay on for a longer period of time. The Diode Dynamics have been great. I guess I will buy one for my center brake light now.

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can try these. Will work for both brake light and cargo. I did mine week before last and it looks great. No codes generated, and about 8 bucks for a pkg of four.

http://a.co/d/dqBS9Ng

Here's a parallel thread:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/rear-cab-lights-led.1662/

Cheers

I bought these back in Feb and they are still working fine, I think the proper spacing of the Diodes makes these more long term reliable. As a follow up are yours still working with no issues (Neurobit and Kingkasc?)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I bought these back in Feb and they are still working fine, I think the proper spacing of the Diodes makes these more long term reliable. As a follow up are yours still working with no issues (Neurobit and Kingkasc?)
Yep. No issues whatsoever. Best $8 I’ve spent in a long time... :D

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced the cargo lights with these; https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX4FMD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s01?

ETA: YOU MAY WANT TO AVOID THIS--->...and the brake light with this; https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJZQWKT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?

Pretty slick. The cargo lights do show 2 yellow dots through the lens when the lights are off. This could be why they used clear glass incandescents (they're invisible from the exterior).
I wanted to update this post since the brake LED quit working. I no longer recommend the part listed above.

I'm going to give this one a try: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QMH9HYJ

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the Diode Dynamics for the cargo and third brake lights. The cargos were $40 and the third brake was $10. They had a 20% off deal going on for the 4th of July so I got all 3 for $40. Well worth it.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted a strobing 3rd brake light and Diode Dynamics doesn't list one for my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread