5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check your doors for alignment. Quality Control

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the truck back at the dealer today. They installed the trim piece that does between the bed and cab.

They also had someone else check my door. They ended up having to adjust the front fender, driver door and rear passenger door to get it back in alignment. Pretty crappy quality control if you ask me @ ramcares !!!!!!

Im pretty relieved I dont need a new door and paint job.
do you know how they adjusted your front fender? my front passenger side fender does not sit flush with the front passenger door. it sticks out. assuming its the fender that needs adjustment

EddieB

Reaction score
Check my previous posts on the door issue. I had the dealer fix mine. I have a 2019 ram with a build date of 2/18. I also think I posted FCA spec sheet tolerances

Moparluver

Reaction score
I just watched my dealer take a 2x4 wrapped in a rag to bend the bottom of my door in.. really? He didn't even try to adjust the hinge. What would you guys do?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just watched my dealer take a 2x4 wrapped in a rag to bend the bottom of my door in.. really? He didn't even try to adjust the hinge. What would you guys do?

Completely unacceptable. Did you confront them about it? It probably looks worse now than it did before. This is unfortunately why I’d never risk taking my truck to the dealership for something like this

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a duplicate response from the other thread started by Moparlover.

Trying to envision the actual technique with the 2x4, but in general such adjustment procedures are not uncommon, especially with door adjustments. Years ago bending the upper door frames by hand/body pressure was a procedure in some of the GM service manuals, although I know that technique was also used by Ford techs as well.

There is some lateral movement in the hinges on DT Rams and normally more than enough to compensate for minor misalignment. But some with body shop experience might just find is quicker to use a 2x4.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038188 miles.

Moparluver

Reaction score
Completely unacceptable. Did you confront them about it? It probably looks worse now than it did before. This is unfortunately why I’d never risk taking my truck to the dealership for something like this
I told them they owe me a new door. Here's the damage.
3b7b56387adb907a83eec0cde5c5d027.jpg

ChevyFord

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited with the same issue, how can they call it a luxury vehicle? Not happy

ThreeBoxers81

Reaction score
So I noticed after a wash that my rear crew cab doors don’t match. Add this to the list.

Passenger side seems fine. This is the top back corner.
View attachment 14882

This is the driver side. The whole top back corner is sunk in. No accidents or anything like that. I’m sure I drove it off the lot like this. Luckily it’s sealing ok.
View attachment 14883
This is my first post, 2021 Ram 1500 and have all doors not flush and not alignment properly, dealers body shop saying nothing they can do- this is unreal. 62msrp and the body is not lined up? @RamCares no one seems to care.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first post, 2021 Ram 1500 and have all doors not flush and not alignment properly, dealers body shop saying nothing they can do- this is unreal. 62msrp and the body is not lined up? @RamCares no one seems to care.
Yes they can, may not want to. Use a different dealership, if necessary. Read this thread from beginning.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hello @ThreeBoxers81,

Our team is sorry to hear about this alignment concern. We would love to help with the aid of a dealer appointment. Please private message us with your VIN and some additional details to get started!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Rototerrier

Reaction score
5 minutes per door and you are done. Simply fix and not even worth worrying over with a dealer.

And, in terms of price....that's irrelevant. Price is based on what folks are willing to pay, and trucks are on a hot streak and people seem to be willing to pay just about any price for them. If they can get 100k out of them, they will. The the quality isn't going to be any better.

If door alignment is your worse problem at this point, count yourself lucky. At least that's something you can easily fix on your own.

And RamCares, doesn't care. They are just here to generate case numbers. And even if you get a case number, they still direct you to the dealer. Soooooo, as you can see, there's no real need for ramcares. I've tried them a few times but they do nothing. That case number is meaningless. You can contact Ram directly and get a little better results. You can speak with someone, who will also create a case number, but they'll make some phone calls and attempt to advocate on your behalf, but that can also fall short. They too are just communicating with the dealers. It all ultimately falls on the dealer, which means your only real alternative is to go to another dealer and try again if that's the route you want to go.

I know this is all negative and bad news, but it's just facts. I've dealt with them for years and that's pretty much what it is. Gotta deal with the dealer and if that doesn't work, go to another dealer until you find one that will get the job done.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Both of my rear doors were sticking out. Driver’s rear more than passenger rear. Strike plate was adjusted. The drivers side looks pretty good now. The passenger side is under flush just a hair like 1/16 maybe lol. I tried to get the striker plate to move out but to no avail. Pretty hard to go back out with it I think. I’m not sure if I’ll mess with this anymore or not. It’s only noticeable to me when I look down the side or in my side mirror. This is literally the only issue I’ve had with the truck. Love it so far

Attachments

• B161F9CF-4A0B-4CBB-B223-0AE936DA0CDA.jpeg
    B161F9CF-4A0B-4CBB-B223-0AE936DA0CDA.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 6188305C-CF87-479E-BA95-31C0DB15D091.jpeg
    6188305C-CF87-479E-BA95-31C0DB15D091.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 84

SeaHogs

Reaction score
And it starts becoming under flush below the belt a few inches down and continues on about 20 inches below the handle. Then flush and a hair over flush below in places. Almost seems like my door is a little misshaped maybe? No leaks or wind noise.

Morenar

Reaction score
Ok fellas, I finally decided to tackle this issue myself. It is SUPER easy.

You need a T45 star bit. I bought a set from Harbor Freight for 24 bucks. Then you need an impact wrench. I am using a 18v Ridgid from Home Depot, but any impact will do. You just need something that will easily break the bolts loose.

I was originally thinking this "whacking" of the latch was to bend something. Not at all. I took the latch completely off just so I could see what the bolts screw in to. Turns out, the nuts on the inside of the body are affixed in such a way that they float. With the bolts about 3/4 of the way turned in, or 1/4 of the way out...both bolts, I put a piece of wood up against them and gave them a light tap. I could then see those backer nuts move a little. I continued to tap them until I got them moved a few mm more inward toward the cab. Lots of folks are suggesting the dealer is "whacking" the latch. You could do this, but then you can't really see the backer nuts move and you are just guessing at how far things are shifting. You could just loosen the bolts and take a few whacks on the latch, but you can't really tell if it's moving. By removing the latch first and then just tapping the bolts, you can clearly and visibly see just how far those nuts are moving inward and not over/under do it.

Pulled out the bolts, reinstall the latch, tightened it all back down and the door now closes tighter and farther into the cab and removed all of the misalignment.

So, for those of you that aren't completely dependent on dealers to fix everything and have some tools laying around to do the job, this is a simple 5 minute fix you can do yourself. Nothing is getting bent and nothing is getting excessively whacked with a hammer. I literally just barely tapped and things shifted right to where they needed to be. For everyone else that likes to argue that they shouldn't have to work on their own vehicles out of principle or spite or whatever....then you guys can just keep waiting on your dealers and/or live with the misalignments. I prefer to take the bull by the horns and just knock these little things out.

I can only attest to this fixing my particular issue where my drivers side rear door was sticking out at the bottom. Obviously having the door shut further into the cab is a logical and obvious solution. Any other misalignments may not be resolved with this method and your mileage may vary.
I tried to adjust my rear passenger striker by loosening the bolts a bit and hitting it with a mallet but did not see it move at all. The bottom of the door sticking out a bit as seen on others here is what I am trying to get pulled in. I am hearing more road noise and I think this is my issue. If I remove the bolts complete, the nuts will not drop into the inside of the door right?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
noticed the same issues with my 2021 ram I bought 2 weeks ago. Both rear doors, the tops sit way in. the gap between the front and rear doors side to side are larger on one side. Since I work in service at a dealer and know adjusting doors is a pain, I will leave it alone.

gwatt86

Reaction score
My driver rear door has never felt like it shuts solid, thats how I would describe it. After looking closely, it appears the rear door is sitting lower than the driver. I'm not sure if adjusting the striker would help in this case but I'm curious to everyone's thoughts and if anyone has this issue. You can see the difference in the seal at the top and really see the passenger door sitting lower than the driver with whats in red at the bottom.

Attachments

• ramdooralignment.jpg
    ramdooralignment.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 59

gwatt86

Reaction score
So I removed the latch and then put the bolts almost all the way in and used a small 2x4 to hit the bolts. I can’t tell if it really moved them inwards. The door feels like it shuts a little better but I can still see the door sticking out at the bottom. I’m afraid to hit them too hard. For those that have done this, did you hit them pretty hard? A light tap doesn’t seem to cut it.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Very interesting post. The first time I washed my truck I noticed the bottom of the drivers side door is out of alignment...it sticks out away from the body just a bit. I figured I might be a one-off. Apparently not.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And RamCares, doesn't care. They are just here to generate case numbers. And even if you get a case number, they still direct you to the dealer. Soooooo, as you can see, there's no real need for ramcares. I've tried them a few times but they do nothing. That case number is meaningless. You can contact Ram directly and get a little better results. You can speak with someone, who will also create a case number, but they'll make some phone calls and attempt to advocate on your behalf, but that can also fall short. They too are just communicating with the dealers. It all ultimately falls on the dealer, which means your only real alternative is to go to another dealer and try again if that's the route you want to go.
You do realize they are on countless ram forums and probably get thousands of messages a day from people whining, crying and complaining. They can't help and please everyone. And as I told someone else, most of the complaints they get from people are most likely out of warranty and want a fix for free.

Users who are viewing this thread