5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

mdemuysere

Reaction score
Way too much going on in this thread and I just simply do not have time to sort through it all...

My build sheet just says "6-speakers" so guessing that these are just stock cheapies and not HK or Alpine. Have not poped off covers to see if HK. And Don't recall Alpine on the grille for center speaker.

Also, if its 6 speakers... does that center grille even have a speaker? because that would be the 2 dash, and 1 in each door?

I actually think the speakers sound fine, but I am looking for upgrades under 100, 200, and 300 for family / wife to get my for christmas.

Without going on crutchfield and picking blindly, can anyone give me the top combinations and any install hardware needed for our trucks? Thanks!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced the front three yesterday and it's great. Has anyone replaced the rear two above the headrests? I bought a couple extra speakers but I can't get the grill off as easily, I didn't try to pry too hard because I didn't want to break them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I’ve replaced my rear headliner speakers. There is a tab in each of the four corners holding them in. Use a pry tool and You will have to pull hard. Once you get one corner off the other 3 will go pretty easy. It really wakes up the rear sound with a proper speaker, especially if anybody is sitting back there. I used JBL GX302s. Had to use my own screw hole to mount them as they don’t line up. My kids say it’s too loud when I crank it up so have to fade it forward a little bit.

SKF

Reaction score
I’ve replaced my rear headliner speakers. There is a tab in each of the four corners holding them in. Use a pry tool and You will have to pull hard. Once you get one corner off the other 3 will go pretty easy. It really wakes up the rear sound with a proper speaker, especially if anybody is sitting back there. I used JBL GX302s. Had to use my own screw hole to mount them as they don’t line up. My kids say it’s too loud when I crank it up so have to fade it forward a little bit.

Do the rear headliner speakers take the same Metra 72-7902 adapter?

popcenator

Reaction score
Much appreciated. I guess I need to try a little harder lol.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I replaced the rear headliner speakers today and was pretty underwhelmed with the difference. Probably not worth replacing.

It’s all relative. You’re not going to notice it as much if you sit in the front. Anybody in my backseat has been able to tell a difference or make a comment about how loud it is.

popcenator

Reaction score
It’s all relative. You’re not going to notice it as much if you sit in the front. Anybody in my backseat has been able to tell a difference or make a comment about how loud it is.
Makes sense. Overall I'm happy I replaced all 5, it definitely made a huge difference. I have two car seats in the back so I can't rely on the opinions of the individuals who sit in those seats lol.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
This is just for reference.

Stock Alpine
Stock.jpg

Infinity REF3022
Infinity.jpg[img]

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. Overall I'm happy I replaced all 5, it definitely made a huge difference. I have two car seats in the back so I can't rely on the opinions of the individuals who sit in those seats lol.

I'm right there with you. 7 and 3 year old in the back, but they now complain it is too loud if I turn it up a little so I have to fade it forward. My wife has rode in the back with them on long road trips to keep them and she has said the same thing. The difference seems minimal up front but to me it was worth replacing all of them. Now I have my subs and amp to install. After that I will probably add a couple more amps so I can power the doors and dash/headliner as well.

Custompainter99

Reaction score
Still looking For a single Infinity center speaker if anyone has one or wants to split a set and adapter? shipped to 95127

Escamp1

Reaction score
Still looking For a single Infinity center speaker if anyone has one or wants to split a set and adapter? shipped to 95127
I have an infinity 3022 sitting in my house now. Never shipped anything before but if you set it up i'll ship it to you. $15 sound ok?

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
I just did some trouble shooting finally. The wife mostly drives the truck and she says the music cutting out is driving her nuts.

I removed both dash speakers and installed just the driver’s side. It still seems to do it at volume 26ish. Every 5 seconds or so it cuts out for a split second.

So with just the driver’s side speaker, I swapped polarity. Still doing it.

I bought a second set of these Infinity’s with new metra adapters. STILL doing it.......

On just the driver’s side I installed the factory speaker. Volume goes to 38 and doesn’t cut out on me like the damn Infinity’s.

Wonder what the return policy is for Crutchfield... can’t seem to make this work.

Did you ever find out what caused this? I just sent my Infinities back for the exact same reason. I have some Kenwoods coming now to see if they make a difference. I am wondering if the radio TSB reflash is the issue or if it's simply the base 6 speaker no amp system. With 3 different systems out there I think it causes major confusion with others on what to do. It would be nice if there were 3 different threads to eliminate all the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread