5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dash speakers should not cause ANC issues when swapping, only the doors. The ANC doesn’t getting routed through the dash if I recall.

But I believe on the HK system the door tweeter and dash corner are on the same circuit. Or did I misread that somewhere?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But I believe on the HK system the door tweeter and dash corner are on the same circuit. Or did I misread that somewhere?

Probably. The stock (6 speaker base) also has dash and front doors in parallel, which is why “I think” ANC is only routed through the rear door speakers and you should only start seeing (hearing) issues once you mess with the polarity of the rears.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found another reason to upgrade your speakers today!

Was driving to the dealer with Waze navigating and it made the dreaded "re-routing" sound. Now normally with my HK speakers the, pardon my english, #DamnRam forced nav volume of 15 sets off my hint of autism. I was amazed that with the Infinity 3032's, even though they are a touch louder than stock, did not bother me at all.

That's worth the upgrade alone IMHO.

YourDad

Reaction score
Do a search on this. There is another thread that went into detail and there are lots of questions on the polarity Ram used at each speaker. Several have had to unpin the Metra adapters to reverse the polarity to make the ANC behave again. From what I've read, that should solve your issue. You could also test the +/- of your factory speakers to see if they acutally line up to what the Metra adapters are using. You have at least one that is out of phase from what the ANC expects.

I just did some trouble shooting finally. The wife mostly drives the truck and she says the music cutting out is driving her nuts.

I removed both dash speakers and installed just the driver’s side. It still seems to do it at volume 26ish. Every 5 seconds or so it cuts out for a split second.

So with just the driver’s side speaker, I swapped polarity. Still doing it.

I bought a second set of these Infinity’s with new metra adapters. STILL doing it.......

On just the driver’s side I installed the factory speaker. Volume goes to 38 and doesn’t cut out on me like the damn Infinity’s.

Wonder what the return policy is for Crutchfield... can’t seem to make this work.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did some trouble shooting finally. The wife mostly drives the truck and she says the music cutting out is driving her nuts.

I removed both dash speakers and installed just the driver’s side. It still seems to do it at volume 26ish. Every 5 seconds or so it cuts out for a split second.

I bought a second set of these Infinity’s with new metra adapters. STILL doing it.......

On just the driver’s side I installed the factory speaker. Volume goes to 38 and doesn’t cut out on me like the damn Infinity’s.

Wonder what the return policy is for Crutchfield... can’t seem to make this work.

Well that stinks. You're experiencing something that other's haven't and it sounds like you've tried a lot of variables. Just for grins - have you tried reversing the polarity of the driver's dash speaker? Other have used fine pointed items to de-pin the metra adapter and switch the two leads on the factory connect side. I've read a lot about how the driver's dash is much more sensitive than the others as it is muted to allow for other things like nav, notifications, etc.

Otherwise I'd probably return too.

R

Rob5589

What system do you have? Did you use the included caps?
My entire driver side speakers shut down the other day. After sitting a while they came back on and have been fine since (fingers crossed). I think it may have had something to do with the whole muting that side and Android Auto. With AA, which was attached at the time, my entire system will do weird stuff. Switching around inputs, turning on maps, etc. I have never been a fan of AA even in our other vehicle so now I use BT only.

natsb

Reaction score

I had a similar situation. It turned out to be my fault. I had turned the navigation voice all the way down. When the nav voice comes on, it overrides the stereo. Therefore, when the nav had something to say, the results were that the music would stop and I would wait in silence till the nav was done.

I commend the dealer's tech who showed be the error of my ways without laughing.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

YourDad

Reaction score
Well that stinks. You're experiencing something that other's haven't and it sounds like you've tried a lot of variables. Just for grins - have you tried reversing the polarity of the driver's dash speaker? Other have used fine pointed items to de-pin the metra adapter and switch the two leads on the factory connect side. I've read a lot about how the driver's dash is much more sensitive than the others as it is muted to allow for other things like nav, notifications, etc.

Otherwise I'd probably return too.
Nope I didn’t try that. I contacted crutchfield who 2 day air shipped me “bass blockers” thinking it will fix the problem. I’ll get them Monday and have my fingers crossed. 60 day return window for the speakers if it doesn’t solve the problem.
I installed the second set of these Infinity’s in my friends 2019 Ram and he’s having zero issues. He turned it to volume 38 and it gave him no cutting out problems. Starting to wonder if I have bad wiring from factory or something.

YourDad

Reaction score
What system do you have? Did you use the included caps?
My entire driver side speakers shut down the other day. After sitting a while they came back on and have been fine since (fingers crossed). I think it may have had something to do with the whole muting that side and Android Auto. With AA, which was attached at the time, my entire system will do weird stuff. Switching around inputs, turning on maps, etc. I have never been a fan of AA even in our other vehicle so now I use BT only.
I have the base 6 speaker system. That’s weird sounding. I’m using my iPhone for this.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Infinity 3032's installed in the dash corners. They are definitely better than the stock HK speakers (crisper, better imaging) but I honestly can't say it's an amazing difference like others who've upgraded the Alpine or basic systems. I assume that's due to the "better" HK standard speakers. I was also surprised what they looked like as I've not seen a picture of one posted yet. Here is what the stock HK dash corners look like:
View attachment 31250

For one thing the magnet is far smaller than the Alpine speakers. Overall I'd say do it if you want better sound but just don't expect a huge difference due to the two way speaker that's standard.

Discovered two new things today:

1. Changing out the center dash speaker makes everything come alive. I was a bit underwhelmed with changing out the corner dash speakers on an HK system to the Infinity 3032s but I just changed the center dash speaker today. That (along with the corners already done) makes more difference than stock to just the corner upgrade. My test drive turned into almost an hour as I just couldn't stop smiling at how amazing it sounded. If you've only done the corners, I highly recommend you upgrade the center - if you have one.
2. Before I put everything back together (ANC/polarity check) I ran the system and played with surround on/off. Much to my surprise the center dash speaker plays even with surround turned off. Based on this, I don't think turning surround off = true stereo. I think it's just another DSP mode. I didn't listen with surround off much but I think upgrading your center speaker makes non-surround sound better too.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Discovered two new things today:

1. Changing out the center dash speaker makes everything come alive. I was a bit underwhelmed with changing out the corner dash speakers on an HK system to the Infinity 3032s but I just changed the center dash speaker today. That (along with the corners already done) makes more difference than stock to just the corner upgrade. My test drive turned into almost an hour as I just couldn't stop smiling at how amazing it sounded. If you've only done the corners, I highly recommend you upgrade the center - if you have one.
2. Before I put everything back together (ANC/polarity check) I ran the system and played with surround on/off. Much to my surprise the center dash speaker plays even with surround turned off. Based on this, I don't think turning surround off = true stereo. I think it's just another DSP mode. I didn't listen with surround off much but I think upgrading your center speaker makes non-surround sound better too.
And based on Edwards posts, once again, he has costed me $$$... :unsure:

Let's see... Corner dash speakers $$
Center speaker: $
Hellwig Sway Bar: $$$

Please stop... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
...the corner dash speakers on an HK system to the Infinity 3032s but I just changed the center dash speaker today... makes more difference than stock to just the corner upgrade ... I highly recommend you upgrade the center - if you have one.
Trying to follow along - what did you replace the center speaker with? Still an infinity? Model number?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Infinity 3032.

Yes. Same speaker as corners. Crutchfield says incompatible solely due to the fact that you can't install a 2-pack there. Find a buddy to split one with you and you're in business. Same metra adapter required as corners and it drops right in.

Users who are viewing this thread