5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changed Dash Speakers To Kickers...WOW!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wait for? New speakers?
For others to try different ones and see if based upon their thoughts if it’s the ones for you. I have speakers that range from $65 on up to over $1000. But again the ones for a $1000 weren’t to my liking. I ended up with raw drivers and those are the ones I ended up loving. In this instance the JL ones really woke up the front for me.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Geez, if there was going to be a definitive thread on "subjective audio", this would be it. What a wide range of experiences with a simple swap of two 3.5" dash speakers! Some say they've reached audio bliss, while others claim audio hell. All with similar trucks and systems to boot.

Wow.

I know my preference leans towards higher treble, medium base and lower mids. It'll be interesting to see how "bright" the Infinity corners are to my ears when I get to install them later this week.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something that has to be considered is that this system was tuned from the factory with these speakers. In a DSP situation, when you change out a set of speakers, the speakers above and below should be tuned again to find the natural crossover with the new speakers. Unfortunately, we do not have that control in these trucks so finding a replacement speaker with a similar efficiency and signal curve is very important.

What that signal and curve is?? Who knows. Without measuring, I don't if there is another way to find out but I think that is why we are seeing the hit and miss posts, just different speakers with different characteristics.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
VaderRebel nailed it ... Sound system likes / dislikes are as subjective as Exhaust system likes / dislikes. Just so long as nobody asks about motor oil type or viscosity, we should be okay ;-)

I'm definitely keeping the Kicker dash corner speakers. Easily the best $35 I'll spend all year. Improvement above OEM speakers is remarkable. Could it be even better if I spent more? Sure.

If my priorities would have been sound system, I would have paid more for optional OEM. I spent hundreds (thousands?) on this back in the day. Now I just want something that sounds decent.

For those who like comparing magnet sizes, picture shows the Kicker vs OEM. There was a moment of doubt these would fit in the corner holes, but no issues. Sounds significantly better.

Kicker_OEM.JPG

Attachments

• Kicker_OEM.JPG
    Kicker_OEM.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 37

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This explains a lot of why I had an issue and you didn't. My stock dash speaking is different than yours with a much larger magnet. The magnet is actually bigger than the kickers magnet. I took a step back I guess. The alpine has different dash speakers than the stock 6 speaker I guess.

The OP has an Alpine system, which is how this all started.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, installed the Infinity Reference 3022 corner dash speakers today. 3ohm 75w. I did not install the crossovers included.

@Livinfast85 is 100% correct... or we have the exact same hearing. HUGE difference. Bright, more range, depth and clarity for days. With the stock Alpine corners I always had the mid range off, all the way down in the EQ. With the Infinity I had to re-introduce the mid range, they just begged for it and really fills the front soundstage wonderfully now.

I feel bad for those that have experienced no change or little change in sound quality... even my 6 year old son, who was my tool manager, said Wow!

Thanks to the OP for experimenting and all the others that followed along and posted all their info.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^glad you like! I'm not sure what the Alpine door 6x9s are like, but on the HK system I was even more amazed by increase in range and tightness of the infinity 6x9s. 4 6x9s really fill in the midbass nicely. Now I just need to get my box done so I can hook up the 2 10" subs.

Last edited:

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the front left dash speaker polarity is backwards correct? I have the base 6 speaker system. Can I check with a multi meter if so how should I?

kjn86

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the sound from only changing the corners to changing the corners PLUS the front center too? I already did the corners but would like some feedback on the difference from corners to the whole dash. Thanks.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the sound from only changing the corners to changing the corners PLUS the front center too? I already did the corners but would like some feedback on the difference from corners to the whole dash. Thanks.
I haven't, but the corners were such a difference I'm not going to bother. Hair on the back of my neck is still standing up.

mch

Reaction score

I just changed all 3 in my Alpine system. Not sure what the difference would be changing all 3 as opposed to just 2. I have the Alpine system and the stock speakers weren't bad in my opinion, but the JL Audio C2's were better. If you buy a 2nd set of whatever you have, just sell the single.

Last edited:

reggiejp3

Reaction score
I have installed the corner dash speakers (same Kickers as OP) and am quite pleased. I had to monkey around with eq settings for a while to get it how I wanted it, but the best 35 bucks you can spend on the truck. My system is the alpine btw.

I am probably going to buy the jl audio for the center dash speaker, hoping it will add some depth. Eventually plan to do doors and sub.

Thanks for the idea OP.

kjn86

Reaction score
I have installed the corner dash speakers (same Kickers as OP) and am quite pleased. I had to monkey around with eq settings for a while to get it how I wanted it, but the best 35 bucks you can spend on the truck. My system is the alpine btw.

I am probably going to buy the jl audio for the center dash speaker, hoping it will add some depth. Eventually plan to do doors and sub.

Thanks for the idea OP.

If you buy the JL for the center audio and it's good, maybe we can work out a deal to buy the other one from you, assuming they come in twos. I am very pleased with the corners and keep wondering if it would be even better with the center done or if I wouldn't notice any more. I have the stock basic speakers so it's even more of a jump for me I think.

How did you end up adjusting the EQ by the way? I just left mine all centered, no change. I am not particular enough or informed enough about car audio to really appreciate the finer points of adjusting this to come effect.

Yates367

Reaction score
Put the Infinity Reference 3032’s in the dash corners and a Kicker 43DSC3504 in the dash center. (I would rather have 3 matched, but didn’t have another Infinity available...I will accept criticism...) Anyway, the Infinity had the 270 uF cap soldered on already for a 150mhz crossover if my math is correct. I put a 300mhz crossover on the Kicker. It’s much more clear. Even at full volume. So far so good.
I just switched to the Infinity reference as well. Great sound for sure.

ddharris

Reaction score
What makes these stereos "Alpine" the front center speaker cover? I am going to assume the amplifier is Alpine or the subwoofer?
The speaker I am seeing in this thread are cheap Chinese or Mexican made Chrysler speakers! Weird.

ddharris

Reaction score
I'm not knocking where the speakers are made but they do not appear to be manufactured by Alpine.

Users who are viewing this thread