5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center console to bench seat swap Complete

griff0n

Reaction score
I have a 22' 1500 Laramie jump seat w black leather interior if anyone is interested in trading for their console. I'm located in TX. Would prefer to trade with another 22' to keep the components all the same model year.

I'm curious how this would work logistically though since I imagine the truck isn't drivable while the components are removed. If anyone else has done the swap with someone, how did you handle the logistics of it all? Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

Tgryphon

Reaction score
I have a 22' 1500 Laramie jump seat w black leather interior if anyone is interested in trading for their console. I'm located in TX. Would prefer to trade with another 22' to keep the components all the same model year.

I'm curious how this would work logistically though since I imagine the truck isn't drivable while the components are removed. If anyone else has done the swap with someone, how did you handle the logistics of it all? Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
Having done the swap from jump seat to console with another member on here I can answer the driveability question. You can drive the truck without the jump seat or console hooked up completely without throwing any codes or other issues.

I suggest you guys do the swap with the trucks side by side though. There are some bolts and clips and such that can be tricky and some brackets that have to swapped over and having that second brain to pick on how it came out and apart will help with a smooth install. If you have any other questions Id be happy to assist if I can for a fellow griffin ;)

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did the swap on my 19 Laramie. No drive issues. I brought the console and all the parts. Swapped out and sold the seat to recoup my moniesNo issues.

Lthary

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with black leather jump seat, if any one with the console is interested in please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

estribo714

Reaction score
I have a 2021 rebel console and would to swap with a jump seat. Locate in California

garyf6316

Reaction score
I have a 2012 2500 Laramie with black leather mint condition with the console looking to swap to jump seat if anyone wants to trade.

keithc85

Reaction score

I'm in Texas. I've got a '21 "Built to Serve" edition. I'll swap you my console for the jump seat

Mark A.

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 that i need to add the jump seat to , if anyone wanting to swap. Black , leather jump seat is what i need.

lhadley12287

Reaction score
I'm interested in swapping out my console for the jump seat if anyone is interested. 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie (black leather); located in WA.

Lthary

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 that i need to add the jump seat to , if anyone wanting to swap. Black , leather jump seat is what i need.
I have a 2019 black jump seat if you interested
Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dooran

Reaction score
Wanted to get this recorded for anyone else that wants to take the plunge. I got all my parts from another forum member rlc2020 who gave me his center jump seat and all supporting parts in exchange for my center console (his write up is in this thread : https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/center-console-conversion.4140/). I'm not going to go into a lot of the mechanics of bolting and unbolting pieces because honestly its super simple and pretty intuitive, especially once you pull all your original parts that you will be discarding, it will be easy for you to see where your new parts will go. From my perspective, these were the parts I needed to remove and swap:

1. Entire front carpet (requires disconnecting the connectors under the front seats and pulling out the seats, unless you decide to cut the carpet)
2. Center console (comes out as one unit with a few bolts in the front and the back, no skill required). If you are doing a swap with someone you will most likely give them the wiring harness that is connected to the console, but you will need this for your install so if you get rid of your original one, you will have to order a replacement from a mopar parts store. The jump seat that I was getting did not have a CD player install, so I was going to lose that capability, but no biggie, I just ordered a wiring harness for the center console without the CD player
3. Silver Bracket at the back of the center console that connects it to the floor (see next picture for reference)

View attachment 16417

This next picture shows why you need to swap the carpeting, trucks with the center console have some of the carpeting cut out under the console.

View attachment 16418

At this point, it was a matter of making sure I had everything I needed to install. That includes:

1: New front center dash storage area/trim were your new USBs and power outlet come from
2. Jump seat
3. AC ducting that goes from the center console along the floor to the jump seat
4. Replacement front carpet

Once you're ready to go, first thing is to place your new bracket that will help anchor your jump seat to the floor. It looks similar to the one you removed but its a bit beefier, obviously because it will be holding more weight. Its a simple "swap one in the place of the other" deal. Once that bracket is in, go ahead and install the AC ducting on the floor and then install your carpet over it (sorry I dont have pictures of this, but you can see where it would connect in the picture above, right below the silver bracket at the bottom of your center dash area).

Once your carpet is all back in, you need to prep your jump seat for install. This requires that you wire in your new (or existing) wiring harness so that you can still play with apple car play and charge all your fancy gadgets. I ordered part # 68362132AC since I did not need a CD player wired in, if you do, it would be part # 68362133AD. You will need to access the under side of your jump seat and unplug the entire wiring harness. This is easy to do with the exception of the one set of wires that run into the lid of the jump seat for the single USB in there. IMO its not worth pulling apart the whole seat (it will take you a LONG time if you can even do it) so when it came to that cluster of wires at the end, I just cut it with the plan to connect my new wires from the new wiring harness directly to the old wires. Here is a picture for reference on what it looks like under the jump seat as it comes from the factory:

View attachment 16425

You will need to do some work to get the OEM jump seat harness disconnected from the back facing USB hub. First, you will need to remove both side plastic panels on the seat (see following picture)

View attachment 16426

Then you will need to loosen/disconnect (but not remove) the black plastic piece that sits below the seat cushion but above the main plastic of the back vent area. I'm pointing at it in the picture below, just stick a pry tool in the there and pry it towards the cushion.

View attachment 16427

Once that is loose, you can pry off the whole back piece

View attachment 16428

Will continue on next post...
Did you buy a new carpet?

kobryan

Reaction score
If anyone is looking to trade I am in need of a 6th seat and have a 2020 with console.

pkmachinegun

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 DT Bighorn with a console in Diesel Grey. Looking for a jump seat!!

rsachek

Reaction score
I just listed my 2020 1500 DT Bighorn diesel grey jumpseat in the for sale section here. Also comes with dash storage drawer with usb ports, bracket, all trim, hardware, etc. Everything you need to swap except for the new carpet. Already bought my new console off ebay so no trades. Located in southern CO but willing to ship anywhere for about $100-120.

Users who are viewing this thread