5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cell Phone Mount

Carlmyman

Reaction score
I have this, but would prefer something up more closer to eye level if possible. Plus with a case on my phone, it doesn't stay in there very well at all and falls out.
The problem is that you have to take your eyes off the road to look down with the factory spots.
I have this, but would prefer something up more closer to eye level if possible. Plus with a case on my phone, it doesn't stay in there very well at all and falls out.
The factory phone spots forces you to take your eyes off the road. There are many others out there that mount up high in your line of sight. I use the ProClip which mounts along side the AC vent. There are some that mount on top of the dash, where the cigarette lighter is that look solid & adjustable. I used the proclip in my previous vehicle for years & just like that it is solidly mounted & high enough that I don't have to take my eyes off the road. ProClip (4).jpg ProClip (5).jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The problem is that you have to take your eyes off the road to look down with the factory spots.

The factory phone spots forces you to take your eyes off the road. There are many others out there that mount up high in your line of sight. I use the ProClip which mounts along side the AC vent. There are some that mount on top of the dash, where the cigarette lighter is that look solid & adjustable. I used the proclip in my previous vehicle for years & just like that it is solidly mounted & high enough that I don't have to take my eyes off the road. View attachment 106222 View attachment 106223
Don't fool yourself, you are taking your eyes off the road if you are looking at your phone. Nobody should be looking at their phone while driving. Unfortunately, it's an epidemic in this country and IMO it's worse than driving under the influence.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I have a wireless CarPlay adapter and since the trucks wireless charger is temperamental, I ordered the ProClip mount along with the MagSafe iPhone holder. They both arrived today and I was excited to install them. As I was planing on running the MagSafe cord behind the head-unit, I removed the two screws by the cigarette lighter and was able to easily pull the display out. The Proclip mount snapped in easily; the surprise came when I went to attach the phone holder, no screws were included.

One thing I noticed is that with the holder, swivel mound and MagSafe charger, the phone sticks out too much from the dash for my liking. What I did was stick the MagSafe charger directly to the mount with 3M tape; since I also have a Apple MagSafe case, the magnetic hold seems to be strong. Cool thing is that I can rotate the phone to landscape. I will drive over some bumps to make sure the phone doesn't keep falling off. If this ends up working, I will have to take a Sharpe or something to black it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 228

Carlmyman

Reaction score
Don't fool yourself, you are taking your eyes off the road if you are looking at your phone. Nobody should be looking at their phone while driving. Unfortunately, it's an epidemic in this country and IMO it's worse than driving under the influence.
True, but your line of sight still has a view of the road. Changing the AC/heat settings, radio, coffee sipping, burger munching etc... takes your eyes off the road also, without the straight ahead vision. Point is you are better off watching the road than not.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
True, but your line of sight still has a view of the road. Changing the AC/heat settings, radio, coffee sipping, burger munching etc... takes your eyes off the road also, without the straight ahead vision. Point is you are better off watching the road than not.
I don't eat while driving... that's disgusting. Yes, there are a lot of reasons that we need to take our eyes off the road and I'm guilty of things like changing the radio station, temperature, etc but we shouldn't be looking at our phones. If you are reading something on your phone, you cannot focus on the road simultaneously.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't eat while driving... that's disgusting. Yes, there are a lot of reasons that we need to take our eyes off the road and I'm guilty of things like changing the radio station, temperature, etc but we shouldn't be looking at our phones. If you are reading something on your phone, you cannot focus on the road simultaneously.

Well I must be extremely disgusting then, cuz I drive a lot and find myself eating in the car. :rolleyes:

But to address your other concern...I have my phone mounted high and left of the the Uconnect because I use the nav on my phone....and guess what...it's faster/safer to look at the phone than to pull my eyes further over or down to see the factory nav or even the car play screen.

Otherwise I agree...I see so many people, of EVERY demographic, staring at their phone, scrolling, typing, etc...It's why I have a dashcam.

Dogboyslim

Reaction score
For those who use the proclip, are you using the new mounting unit that seats into the storage tray above the screen? I saw that one on their site but before spending $70 I want to make sure it works and does not block the 12" screen.
No, I’m using the angle mount on passenger side of 12” screen. My passengers say it isn’t in the way. I have a wedge so the phone screen faces me straight on. I use CarPlay for music/nav, phone for mx+ dashboard.

edit, missed the date, apologies for the zombie post.

ArmyRamRebel

Reaction score
I just started using the ESR HaloLock with my iPhone 12 pro. I purchased the unit with dash mount or vent mount options. I like it so far, it works with the magsafe on my phone so no clamps, etc. needed. I have it vent mounted and have tried a few -- difference with this one is it has a lever that props it from the bottom so it doesn't drag the vent down eventually. Solid so far. I'll try to put up a few pics when I have a chance to.

BigDog97

Reaction score
I was used to a dash mount in my last truck, and whenever I used the factory location drop in for my phone, it was down so low that I'd forget to grab it when I got out of the truck. I didn't want to use magnets, and I also didn't want to block my air vents, so I went with the Bulletpoint metal series with Universal mount. A few sticky back cable management guides and I'm really liking it.
Bulletpoint - Bulletpoint metal series with Universal mount
Amazon - Cable management guides

Attachments

• Bulletpoint1.jpg
    Bulletpoint1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Bulletpoint2.jpg
    Bulletpoint2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Bulletpoint3.jpg
    Bulletpoint3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 160

Jabberjaw

Reaction score
I was used to a dash mount in my last truck, and whenever I used the factory location drop in for my phone, it was down so low that I'd forget to grab it when I got out of the truck. I didn't want to use magnets, and I also didn't want to block my air vents, so I went with the Bulletpoint metal series with Universal mount. A few sticky back cable management guides and I'm really liking it.
Bulletpoint - Bulletpoint metal series with Universal mount
Amazon - Cable management guides

Bullet Point is awesome. Nice.

Reaction score
Well after a week or so of messing around with the Course Motorsports Charging Magnet Mount, I have given up on that and I am strictly using the Auto-Grip closing phone mount by Course. I'm sure the Magnet Mount works great for smaller phones, but I have the S21 Ultra which isn't exactly a small phone. I tried several different positions for the phone to contact the magnet mount but it would charge for 2-3 seconds and then would say wireless charging is disconnected. I tried phone with case and metal halo just under my cameras, I tried cutting out the back of my case on the inside of the halo ring hoping that would help the coils in phone make connection with the charging magnet mount and I also tried without my phone case on and all resulted in the same error. When it would work it was great, but trying to find the EXACT spot where the phone would have to sit was tiresome. I've moved my phone 10 times before finding a spot where the phone would actually charge. As much as I love the magnet mount as it's a little smaller then the auto-close mount/cradle and less intrusive it just wasn't worth the headache. I'm so glad I ordered both types of phone mounts, as I wasn't 100% sure it was going to work with the magnet mount but I did give it the good ol' college try.

My take on the magnet portion of the mount is that it's amazing and I've got some bumpy roads in my travels. The phone never once fell off and basically no vibration or shaking of the phone. So as a magnet for me, it works awesome. As a charger not so much. I would still recommend the magnet charging mount for those with smaller phones, large plus sized phones can be finicky and frustrating.

Now, the auto-grip mount is very nice as well, it's definitely smaller then other grip style mounts so it's not to bad. Doesn't cover up my start button and also doesn't cover up the vent either. The auto-grip closing feature works great and 100% of the time my phone starts charging right away. The sensors on the sides that detect you picking up the phone opens up the grips automatically and that also works without any flaws. Overall I really do like this auto-grip closing mount, just like the magnet charging mount the phone has very minimal shaking on roads and I can still read the screen/navigation maps on my phone. I've had windshield mounts and cup holder mounts that shake too much for my liking. So I am very pleased with this.

I highly recommend Course Motorsports phone mounts for anyone looking to add wireless charging or those who don't like the factory wireless location. I didn't have the factory wireless charging and I did look into it but it was going to be WAY more expensive and a lot more work to install. More importantly I don't like the location, way under the 12" screen. Course Motorsports mount puts it in view so your eyes are not off the road and I can use it for maps or just to see quick alerts sent to my phone without taking my eyes of the road.

My suggestion is if you have a rather large phone (comparable to the Samsung S21 Ultra) I would go with the auto-grip mount as it's the safer bet. The charging magnet mount works better for smaller phones, I tried it out with my work phone (Samsung S10) and it picked up the charge no problem. Larger phone I guess means large surface area for the coils inside phone, and since the magnet mount is only a small 2" or so disc I guess there isn't enough surface area. Maybe a rectangle shaped one would be better for large phone.

Anyhow just wanted to give a little update to help some potential buyers out.

I do prefer Course Motorsports vehicle specific mounts over ProClip, I feel it's a cleaner look and a better overall design. As the metal bracket slides down into a "slot" behind the radio trim so no chance it can slide down. But I don't think you can go wrong with either as ProClip also has positive reviews all over the place.

20211113_110657.jpg 20211113_110609.jpg 20211113_110629.jpg 20211113_110544.jpg

Reactions: c3k

Zach9029

Reaction score
I use the bulletpoint mounting system. It works pretty good.

Attachments

• 1ED78239-A5AF-4C39-80CC-DD15B62DC458.jpeg
    1ED78239-A5AF-4C39-80CC-DD15B62DC458.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 629E4ACA-4720-45B7-A443-18A2E0FD38D9.jpeg
    629E4ACA-4720-45B7-A443-18A2E0FD38D9.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 144

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm using this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FY84Y8Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NXJ61R0Y81AS4PR184QT

Sits really nice on top of the dash on the left chrome looking part of that upper/middle tray
I know this is an old thread, and a pretty old post, but do you still like the mount?
Did you apply the 3M plate, or will the suction cup hold onto the plastic strong enough to hold the phone?
This looks like it would be a nice (and affordable) way to see if I will like a phone mount instead of using the OEM slot.

I like the look of the Course mount and ProClip but I have 2 concerns. First, they're both pretty expensive, and I'm only really considering one because I've been using Pandora via CarPlay and it would be nice to have it more accessible than the OEM slot in the console. So it seems like a lot since I can do most of the Pandora features via the radio anyway.
My other concern, and probably most concerning, is that I don't like the idea of having to take the center trim off to install the Course mount which I think looks better. It's not an issue of unscrewing 2 screws, or figuring out how to do it. The problem I have is that I'm worried that while pulling the trim loose, if I don't do it evenly , I'm afraid I'll crack/break the screen. I'm sure it's not cheap to replace that if I break it trying to install a phone mount that may not care for.

Carlmyman

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, and a pretty old post, but do you still like the mount?
Did you apply the 3M plate, or will the suction cup hold onto the plastic strong enough to hold the phone?
This looks like it would be a nice (and affordable) way to see if I will like a phone mount instead of using the OEM slot.

I like the look of the Course mount and ProClip but I have 2 concerns. First, they're both pretty expensive, and I'm only really considering one because I've been using Pandora via CarPlay and it would be nice to have it more accessible than the OEM slot in the console. So it seems like a lot since I can do most of the Pandora features via the radio anyway.
My other concern, and probably most concerning, is that I don't like the idea of having to take the center trim off to install the Course mount which I think looks better. It's not an issue of unscrewing 2 screws, or figuring out how to do it. The problem I have is that I'm worried that while pulling the trim loose, if I don't do it evenly , I'm afraid I'll crack/break the screen. I'm sure it's not cheap to replace that if I break it trying to install a phone mount that may not care for.
I hear what you are saying about fear of cracking or breaking something with the center cluster removal. I had the same feelings but gave it a shot anyway. My advice, do it. It is really that easy and I believe you would have to be really clumsy to do any harm. If you can get over that fear, you will feel great once you remove it. It is a daunting task when you see the size and complexity of it, but it is a piece of cake, go for it.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
What I'm seeing online looks like it's basically just remove the 2 top screws and pull. Sound about right?

Users who are viewing this thread