5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic Converter Stolen..Safe to Drive??

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Ramps sure help. I didn't get me a set until afterwards.
Also keep forgetting to mention althought i don't think its an issue.
When i removed mine to do the oil change. I noticed marks from the sway bar since it is making contact
mine seems to be at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch from sway bar

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Did so to be able to tighten the fumoto valve. I think a stubby would have done the job but don't have one. And also i was having a hard time removing the oil plug. So i could get some room and better leverage.
Otherwise there is no need
can you post a picture of the fumoto valve installed?

ramhead

Reaction score
Just installed the Skeerdy Cat plate...it was an easy install. Did it by myself - just used a storage box under the truck to rest the plate on top of to line up & attach. This plate is a great option to make it more difficult/add time for thieves. I just wish it was a bit thicker....it's 14 gauge steel - would have preferred 12 gauge but that would also increase weight. The way I see it, the scumbags will see the plate & not want to take the time to have to cut that out the way and then have to try to access the cats and the additional time they'd have to spend messing with it.

In one area near my town they hit and got 10 cats off different cars in less than 15 mins - so, they like to hit quick & be gone... hopefully, the plate will make them not want to bother and move on. It's fortunate too (well, not really but) we have trucks which they really don't bother jacking up - some of the cars have additional body/undercarriage damage as the morons don't care where they place the jack. Whether it's the oil pan, side body rails, etc...additional extensive damage & repair costs due to them not giving a sh*t happens more to cars vs trucks.

Last edited:

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Being hours from home As stated earlier, I would be concerned about gasses and excessive heat build up and possibility of fire on a long ride.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being hours from home As stated earlier, I would be concerned about gasses and excessive heat build up and possibility of fire on a long ride.
I did think briefly about heat build up but then again these kind of plates or full underbody protection has been out for a while for other vehicles and I haven't heard anything dangerous. Just did a vegas trip with nothing negative to report

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe if they cut the cat off and you were driving without getting it replaced.

ramhead

Reaction score
I did think briefly about heat build up but then again these kind of plates or full underbody protection has been out for a while for other vehicles and I haven't heard anything dangerous. Just did a vegas trip with nothing negative to report
That could be a slight concern I guess on a smaller veh. with a confined undercarriage (or low ground clearance) but on our trucks there is PLENTY of room for airflow over & around the plate.

barrak

Reaction score
I'll relook at mine next weekend, wonder if the way it seats againts the factory skid plate at front is not allowing it to have some clearance with the sway bar
Yours is the original design where the front lip is angled 90 degrees down. The newer iteration has the front lip angled up, same direction as the side fins. That adds an inch or so of clearance between the sway bar and the Skeerdy plate.

Just installed mine today... based my product choice on your install videos. Much appreciated. I expect my OEM skid plates tomorrow so hopefully their install will not be impeded by the Skeerdy redesign.

If I were you, I would bug the manufacturer for a heavily discounted upgrade to the newer design. After all, sway bar rub is a design fault.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yours is the original design where the front lip is angled 90 degrees down. The newer iteration has the front lip angled up, same direction as the side fins. That adds an inch or so of clearance between the sway bar and the Skeerdy plate.

Just installed mine today... based my product choice on your install videos. Much appreciated. I expect my OEM skid plates tomorrow so hopefully their install will not be impeded by the Skeerdy redesign.

If I were you, I would bug the manufacturer for a heavily discounted upgrade to the newer design. After all, sway bar rub is a design fault.
Yea I was one of the first buyers, makes sense now with that simple change in design
Thanks I will reach out to the owner - I have talk to him a few times - cool guy

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

ramhead

Reaction score
So....I went to Costco today to get my free tire rotation/balance and an hour or so after I dropped off the truck I got a call from them saying they could not perform the rotation. Reason they gave was the Skeerdy Cat plate edges interfered with them properly placing the front hydraulic lift pads on the frame. I went back and the tech pointed out to me that where they place they pads the edges of the plate were covering that area. I told them I had no problem when I was recently at the dealer for an oil change but they said they must have a different lift or a drive up bay. Anyhow, they refused to do the lift/rotation because of it. Anyone else have this issue?? I don't want to have to take the plate off every time I need a rotation - I'm thinking of removing the section of plate on each side where it's causing the issue. It's approx a 4"x 4" section that would have to be either cut out or cut and bent up out of the way. Don't really want to cut into it but I don't see another option.

I'll try to get photos and post back.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So....I went to Costco today to get my free tire rotation/balance and an hour or so after I dropped off the truck I got a call from them saying they could not perform the rotation. Reason they gave was the Skeerdy Cat plate edges interfered with them properly placing the front hydraulic lift pads on the frame. I went back and the tech pointed out to me that where they place they pads the edges of the plate were covering that area. I told them I had no problem when I was recently at the dealer for an oil change but they said they must have a different lift or a drive up bay. Anyhow, they refused to do the lift/rotation because of it. Anyone else have this issue?? I don't want to have to take the plate off every time I need a rotation - I'm thinking of removing the section of plate on each side where it's causing the issue. It's approx a 4"x 4" section that would have to be either cut out or cut and bent up out of the way. Don't really want to cut into it but I don't see another option.

I'll try to get photos and post back.
I am almost due for a tire rotation as well so I'll see how it goes.
There was a mentioned by a member here recently, there is some truth to what costco is saying - check post 34523

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a lazy shop. Don't use the lift, jack it up from front and rear jack points. To say they "can't" do it is wrong. They just don't want to do the extra work it would take

ramhead

Reaction score
I am almost due for a tire rotation as well so I'll see how it goes.
There was a mentioned by a member here recently, there is some truth to what costco is saying - check post 34523
THANKS!! You saved me the trouble of the photo - here is one from that post:
IMG_3450.jpeg

The photo makes it looks like less due to the angle but it pretty much covers that whole lift point if you look at it directly from underneath. So, about a 3" x 4" or 4" x 5" section just below the bottom edge of the red circle in the photo would need to be cut - I guess it won't matter too much I'm just worried about rust, etc. I'll use some primer/paint on the cut edges I guess.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
Sounds like a lazy shop. Don't use the lift, jack it up from front and rear jack points. To say they "can't" do it is wrong. They just don't want to do the extra work it would take
That's not going to happen - it's Costco/employees and they're not going to futz with the rules or "book" procedures to please me or anyone else. I get their point - the pads have to be put in the prescribed areas they trained their tire techs to do so - no deviance. If they moved them further back, etc. they'd risk damage, possible tipping, employee injury, etc. and there is no way they will risk that - it was right on the invoice I got when I left said to the effect "a 3rd party metal skid plate was installed that prevent the specified placement of the lift pads to the frame lifting points - therefore, tire rotation could not be performed and service was refused."

They're also not going to have one of their employees use a floor jack or anything other than what they are directed to use or trained how to do it . A local mechanic would get it done that way I'm sure but as I mentioned...this is a free service to members by a huge, by the book company so I need to alter it if I want the service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread