5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic Converter Stolen..Safe to Drive??

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
New. I think i am gonna go for it.
wonder if 4X4 or 4X2 make a difference?

went to the skeerdy cat page and the only info in the way of installation is for ford and toyota

Last edited:

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wonder if 4X4 or 4X2 make a difference?

went to the skeerdy cat page and the only info in the way of installation is for ford and toyota
yea info is limited on both american trucks and skeerdy cat webpage,
was chatting with a rep and couldn't get a confirmation if 4x4 or 4x2 would matter
also was trying to see if its for DT or DS model but all I could get was that it fits years 19-23
I will reach out to american trucks and see what info i can get out of them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yea info is limited on both american trucks and skeerdy cat webpage,
was chatting with a rep and couldn't get a confirmation if 4x4 or 4x2 would matter
also was trying to see if its for DT or DS model but all I could get was that it fits years 19-23
I will reach out to american trucks and see what info i can get out of them
I'd say if they have it listed as 19-23 it's probably DT as a DS is still 4th gen and would go back to 2009

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would like to see it installed.
They have a few pics of the F150 plate, which looks similar to the Ram version in their installation guide. IMO, it will only take a few extra seconds to defeat that device by using a cut-off tool to cut the bolt heads off. It looks like it will be a better skid plate, than an anti-theft device.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They have a few pics of the F150 plate, which looks similar to the Ram version in their installation guide. IMO, it will only take a few extra seconds to defeat that device by using a cut-off tool to cut the bolt heads off. It looks like it will be a better skid plate, than an anti-theft device.
Could counter sink the holes for bolts with would make it harder to grind off the heads. Most of these guys are setting around cordless sawzalls though, not grinders. And grinding makes a lot more noise.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s progress at least. Somebody pull the trigger and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s progress at least. Somebody pull the trigger and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have and will update once item arrives.
For now here are some notes.
As per skeerdy cat website, sales are final.
I also could not get answers to some of my questions from them maybe it was after hours when started to reach out to them.
I spoke to Matthew at american trucks and he confirm this item is for our DT trucks, will fit 4x4 or 4x2. Ofcourse i have heard that they aren't always correct but he said if it doesn't fit or don't want it, i can return it within 30 days, and there is no restocking fee. So pulled the trigger thru them.
I have been keeping an eye on a possible solution since cat theft is big over here.
Other then when i have family over, the truck is garage but a pair of my neightbors have been hit this pass year. And for work i park at public parking that is not always secure.
Other options i have look at,
Cat cages welded at a muffler shop.
450 a piece so $990 total
Cat traps 150-200 a piece $330-440 total
So $398 for this cover/plate seem reasonable and less than my ins deductable and less the hastle. We shall see

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the install videos, my 1st videos ever made lol.
Its tight down there.
I do think chances are high that it will prevent theft.
Doesn't seem like they had a truck with factory skid plates when they designed it. Wondering if it would be better to cut the lip off the factory plate on rear and put the skeerdy cat underneath the factory one

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a good point. If it fits, you can always use washers to space it down lower if you need to.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like they had a truck with factory skid plates when they designed it. Wondering if it would be better to cut the lip off the factory plate on rear and put the skeerdy cat underneath the factory one
Here are some pics from their website. It seems they did have a truck with factory skid plates but decide to produced for trucks without the factory skid plates and left it up to the installer to figure things out and make the decision.
Instructions are not included in the shipment.
Yes you can cut the lip, it did cross my mind.

Attachments

• IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8353.jpg
    IMG_8353.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 61

Amazing93

Reaction score
Here are some pics from their website. It seems they did have a truck with factory skid plates but decide to produced for trucks without the factory skid plates and left it up to the installer to figure things out and make the decision.
Instructions are not included in the shipment.
Yes you can cut the lip, it did cross my mind.
Just curious why you didn't mount it with the factory skit plate on the underside of the skeerdy cat like they did in their pics? Looks easier than cutting it. Thanks for the video and keeping us updated!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so after looking at the Skeerdy cat site I see they make one for the rebel too. It appears this is the one you want to buy if you have the ORP package or have installed factory skid plates at some point. Skeerdy Cat - Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device and Skid Plate for 2019-2023 Dodge Ram 1500 Rebel
They have the same pictures for each one, other than the first one. I would think you would still need to trim the lip on factory skid plate to have it on top of the skeerdy one

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so after looking at the Skeerdy cat site I see they make one for the rebel too. It appears this is the one you want to buy if you have the ORP package or have installed factory skid plates at some point. Skeerdy Cat - Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device and Skid Plate for 2019-2023 Dodge Ram 1500 Rebel
I made the purchase from american trucks because I was told sales were final by a skeerdy cat rep if purchase thru them and I didn't want to get stuck with it if things didn't work out.
So the rebel option was not listed at american truck, it seems the only difference is that it comes with the two holes to pass thru the factory skid plate bolts however as @HSKR R/T noted you would still have to trim the lip on the factory skid plate. Unless the skid plate for the rebel also comes with an opening so the lip can pass thru, if it doesn't I think that would be a simple update that they could do to their design and maybe even their stock skid plates.
That would be perfect. I will reach out again to skeerdy cat and see what they have to say and will advise,
About my installation, I ended up rushing things. I cut more than needed but I don't think I compromise the skeerdy plate and could be fix if needed and could still install under the factory skid plate.
family from out of town was unexpectedly arriving, didn't have time to make a run for a new blade for the grinder and a set of new drill bits, wasn't sure when my new free weekend would be so I just went for it the way I did

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spoke with Kent @ Skeerdy cat. Basically I ordered my plate too soon and by the end of the week he is expecting to put up on the website what he calls a trx model skid plate which is what he says will be for us with factory skid plates. He was going to sent me a pic of it.
I am thinking it will be something like what they sell for the raptor so no need to cut anything
1675207891894.png

Users who are viewing this thread