5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic Converter Stolen..Safe to Drive??

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a fairly new product. Those who have installed one probably havent driven enough to need an oil change yet. I know my last oil change was over three months ago, and I do 5k mile oil changes.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anything it’ll be like a bulk of cars that have under plastics panels that need to be removed to do an oil change. Removing it once every 3-4 months maybe even longer for a oil change shouldn’t be a issue. Its one of those what if beneficial mods. Guaranteed you’ll be more pissed and inconvenienced if you come out to a missing cat then lets says extra 10 mins (without having it in hand just a guess) its going to take to change your oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the dealer for oil changes
what do you believe will they say?
I also use the dealer but this time I didn't trust them to install the fumoto valve without over tightening it or maybe they would be unwilling, etc
Also they don't clean the oil that drips into the factory skid plates and that later will drip into your garage/drive way floor which happen on my last oil change. Lol my floors are plenty dirty. But for sure could be an issue for some since this time 100% there will more oil dripping onto the skeerdy cat plate.
Hoping the fumoto valve will help in this regard and from there maybe I will see if I want to go back to the dealer on future changes or continue to do my own
Other than that, the dealer 100% should have no problem to perform the service with the stock oil plug and the skeerdy plate in place

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the dealer for oil changes
what do you believe will they say?
Did my oil changed on saturday, the dealer did a number on the oil drain plug and i struggle more than anticipated but the skeerdy plate doesn't get in the way. You can see in the picture it has an opening and all that is needed is a short extension. Not sure if a deep socket would do it. I didn't have one of that size on hand. If you will continue to use the oem drain plug then it won't be necessary to remove the plate. And doing your oil changes at the dealer shouldn't be an issue.
If you intend on installing a fumoto valve as i did then i would recomend you remove the plate, i did in order to tighten it since you can see in the picture what area you need to use to get it tight. And you can't do it with the plate on. Well maybe if you get creative but not sure the dealer would or if they wouldn't damage the valve by trying to tighten it from the wrong place.
I use the standard valve with the long nipple and it was perfect, i ordered a short nipple valve as well which i ended installing on my dad's jeep grand cherokee. I also used the zip lock bag trick on the oil filter and it work perfectly as well. A set of ramps from harbor freight gave me plenty of room and made things easier

Attachments

• 20230218_100806.jpg
    20230218_100806.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230219_103929.jpg
    20230219_103929.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230218_145728.jpg
    20230218_145728.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230218_145600.jpg
    20230218_145600.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230218_144934.jpg
    20230218_144934.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 85

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Did my oil changed on saturday, the dealer did a number on the oil drain plug and i struggle more than anticipated but the skeerdy plate doesn't get in the way. You can see in the picture it has an opening and all that is needed is a short extension. Not sure if a deep socket would do it. I didn't have one of that size on hand. If you will continue to use the oem drain plug then it won't be necessary to remove the plate. And doing your oil changes at the dealer shouldn't be an issue.
If you intend on installing a fumoto valve as i did then i would recomend you remove the plate, i did in order to tighten it since you can see in the picture what area you need to use to get it tight. And you can't do it with the plate on. Well maybe if you get creative but not sure the dealer would or if they wouldn't damage the valve by trying to tighten it from the wrong place.
I use the standard valve with the long nipple and it was perfect, i ordered a short nipple valve as well which i ended installing on my dad's jeep grand cherokee. I also used the zip lock bag trick on the oil filter and it work perfectly as well. A set of ramps from harbor freight gave me plenty of room and made things easier
thank you

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
installed mine today
it weighs 28 pounds
only takes one person to install
put first two holes in plate on exposed bolts on truck
put on lockwasher and supplied nuts
lift up rear and install slip type nut and bolt
tighten down, done skeerdy cat install.jpg

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
installed mine today
it weighs 28 pounds
tighten down, done View attachment 154401
Must be the new design to work with factory skid plates

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
installed mine today
it weighs 28 pounds
tighten down, done View attachment 154401
Ramps sure help. I didn't get me a set until afterwards.
Also keep forgetting to mention althought i don't think its an issue.
When i removed mine to do the oil change. I noticed marks from the sway bar since it is making contact

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ramps sure help. I didn't get me a set until afterwards.
Also keep forgetting to mention althought i don't think its an issue.
When i removed mine to do the oil change. I noticed marks from the sway bar since it is making contact
You have to remove it for oil changes?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did so to be able to tighten the fumoto valve. I think a stubby would have done the job but don't have one. And also i was having a hard time removing the oil plug. So i could get some room and better leverage.
Otherwise there is no need

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did so to be able to tighten the fumoto valve. I think a stubby would have done the job but don't have one. And also i was having a hard time removing the oil plug. So i could get some room and better leverage.
Otherwise there is no need
Ahh, okay, that makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online