5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Wash

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't know of any peer-reviewed studies on the effects of high pressure and chemicals on clear coat.

Not sure why you're cool with the garbage chemicals used in touchless washes but not the garbage chemicals used to clear roads. Neither are good for your clear coat, and both, along with insanely high water pressure wear it down over time. That's why you see 7-8 year old cars with faded looking paint. There are products that can and do fill in the missing clear coat, which is why you get people who don't know better claiming that their paint looks perfect after 1300 touchless washes. Doesn't make it so. Just means you're putting makeup on an ugly chick.

Not sure what you think a clear coat is, but if you don't understand that chemicals and abrasion aren't good for it...not sure it matters what I tell you.
So more objective facts then. Thanks ;)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are all killing me. Takes me back to a thread about e15 destroying pistons by doing microscopic damage to the tops. Same deal with paint.
Kind of reminds me of gun dudes who say their Walmart dot is "jUsT aS gUd" as Aimpoint or Trijicon.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure who here said "looks good to me", but even so, no, actually it doesn't.
Sure it does. I've offered that high pressure and harsh chemicals are bad for a thin coating. You've essentially said "nuh uh," asked for objective data, and provided none.

I mean, it's funny to me that someone (not you) who doesn't know that you actually can measure and inspect the clear coat is going to pretend their opinion deserves the same validity as someone who's actually done it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know of any peer-reviewed studies on the effects of high pressure and chemicals on clear coat.
This is all you had to say right off the bat. This means that you have no basis for making the claim about touchless washes vs using any other type of chemicals used in hand wash products.
The bottom line is- ALL clear coat/paint degrades over time due to 100’s of factors, and ANYTHING that comes in contact with it, whether it be hand wash soaps/chemicals, car wash soaps/chemicals, foam, rain, high pressure water, hard water, soft water, etc etc, is going to degrade it. Yet, you somehow narrowed down the major violator to touchless washes. The reality is, nobody’s vehicle lives in a vacuum, and nobody’s wash/paint care method applies to all, and you certainly can’t make a blanket statement on touchless car washes when you have absolutely zero evidence or comparison to the exact same environment and circumstances of using hand wash chemicals.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure it does. I've offered that high pressure and harsh chemicals are bad for a thin coating. You've essentially said "nuh uh," asked for objective data, and provided none.

I mean, it's funny to me that someone (not you) who doesn't know that you actually can measure and inspect the clear coat is going to pretend their opinion deserves the same validity as someone who's actually done it.
I've asked for something other than "objective facts" to back up what you say about touchless car washes specifically, and that the chemicals and pressures are any worse than the chemicals and pressures used in other types of car washes. Any time you touch your paint/clear coat is an opportunity to cause damage. Cumulative effects from washing your car/truck using any method will happen. Feel free to pick your own poison.

I will say, I wish touchless washes would offer an undercarriage only option. That's something I'd actually use when I'm up north.
I definitely agree with this.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is all you had to say right off the bat. This means that you have no basis for making the claim about touchless washes vs using any other type of chemicals used in hand wash products.
The bottom line is- ALL clear coat/paint degrades over time due to 100’s of factors, and ANYTHING that comes in contact with it, whether it be hand wash soaps/chemicals, car wash soaps/chemicals, foam, rain, high pressure water, hard water, soft water, etc etc, is going to degrade it. Yet, you somehow narrowed down the major violator to touchless washes. The reality is, nobody’s vehicle lives in a vacuum, and nobody’s wash/paint care method applies to all, and you certainly can’t make a blanket statement on touchless car washes when you have absolutely zero evidence or comparison to the exact same environment and circumstances of using hand wash chemicals.
This is silly. The answer isn't "study using the scientific method" or nothing. There are things called experience and observation. Clear coat can be measured. Faded and oxidized paint can be observed. These aren't the same as "touchless James" from the forums says his paint looks good after 5 million washes.

Saying "it all degrades over time" is exactly why it's so easy to dismiss what you've said here. 60 grit sandpaper and finishing polish both degrade the clear coat, but at wildly different rates. And that's the point. There are good ways to wash your paint, and there are not so good ways to wash your paint. Touchless washes are convenient and they're better than brushes, but that's about it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will say, I wish touchless washes would offer an undercarriage only option. That's something I'd actually use when I'm up north.
There are car washes without this option? Maybe you just haven't used one since the 80's or you only push the cheapest choice button.

Oh well, either way, I to see that it's not just 3.21 trucks that can be diva trucks! 😍

Guess we should not all be too opinionated here though lest the thread get locked.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've asked for something other than "objective facts" to back up what you say about touchless car washes specifically, and that the chemicals and pressures are any worse than the chemicals and pressures used in other types of car washes. Any time you touch your paint/clear coat is an opportunity to cause damage. Cumulative effects from washing your car/truck using any method will happen. Feel free to pick your own poison.

I'll make the same point as above. There's a difference between moving a lubricated microfiber towel across your paint and moving a pile of broken glass across the paint. Obviously those are extremes, but it's kind of hard to argue that a hand wash and an automated touchless wash are equivalent.

Pick your poison, sure. But if my options are a McDonald's cheeseburger or 10 gallons of bleach, I know which one I'm going for.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are car washes without this option? Maybe you just haven't used one since the 80's or you only push the cheapest choice button.

Oh well, either way, I to see that it's not just 3.21 trucks that can be diva trucks! 😍

Guess we should not all be too opinionated here though lest the thread get locked.
I've never seen a car wash that has an option to wash the undercarriage without washing anything else.

If you know of one, let me know and I'll seek it out.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I've never seen a car wash that has an option to wash the undercarriage without washing anything else.

If you know of one, let me know and I'll seek it out.
Just crazy talk there. Normal people like their whole vehicle clean. The undercarriage jets are just the first step proir to the scrubbers hitting the rest to get it sparkling clean.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just crazy talk there. Normal people like their whole vehicle clean. The undercarriage jets are just the first step proir to the scrubbers hitting the rest to get it sparkling clean.
Dirt is easier to remove than swirls and scratches.

But I have 3.92s, so I'm OK with a little dirt once in awhile. :LOL:

Dewey

Reaction score
I’m guessing some of you own trucks that never once left the pavement. It’s a truck not a high dollar sports car. Last thing I’m worried about is a touchless car wash ruining my paint. That’s ridiculous. 😆

I like a clean truck like anyone else but that will never stop me from going off road and mudding it up on a fairly regular basis. I use a truck for what it’s intended for not just cruising and looking cool with a pristine shiny paint job. Nobody cares………it’s a truck not a Lamborghini.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m guessing some of you own trucks that never once left the pavement. It’s a truck not a high dollar sports car. Last thing I’m worried about is a touchless car wash ruining my paint. That’s ridiculous. 😆

I like a clean truck like anyone else but that will never stop me from going off road and mudding it up on a fairly regular basis. I use a truck for what it’s intended for not just cruising and looking cool with a pristine shiny paint job. Nobody cares………it’s a truck not a Lamborghini.
My truck gets used a lot harder than putting it in a little bit of wet dirt. Doesn't mean I'm not going to take care of it. But hey, I'm sure your truck looks like you really use it in the Home Depot parking lot.

Also, put your gear ratio in your signature so we can tell whether you actually use your truck or just talk about using it on the Internet. :LOL:

Dewey

Reaction score
My truck gets used a lot harder than putting it in a little bit of wet dirt. Doesn't mean I'm not going to take care of it. But hey, I'm sure your truck looks like you really use it in the Home Depot parking lot.

Also, put your gear ratio in your signature so we can tell whether you actually use your truck or just talk about using it on the Internet. :LOL:
Guess I struck a nerve. 😆

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always wash my vehicles by hand as you get a better job, it's safer on the paint, and I actually do like the exercise. You won't notice the scratches and swirls from an automated wash for a while but take a black light and you will see them immediately and after a few years they add up and the finish will look duller and swirled. Touchless washes are better but I'm not keen on the chemicals they use, they probably wont hurt the paint much but they are hard on the rubber seals and plastics.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I resisted for years to take my big trucks through automatic car washes, but I found a local one that does a great job and I've taken all my other vehicles recently with zero issues. I see tons of full size trucks there, spoke with a few of them that said they have gone many times with zero issue, including their shark fin antennas.

I also realized that most dealerships already employ very similar automatic car washing systems in their lots, often running vehicles after service through them. So finally a couple of weeks ago, I decided to take my truck through. No issues, and really convenient.

Will it cause more scratching over a proper hand wash, sure, but it's hard to notice and if it gets bad enough one day, I get a proper detail/paint correction done. For now, auto car washes, at least good ones, are a great compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread