5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Wash

Goomba

Reaction score
Ok, I was headed to get my truck washed one morning but when I got there, there was a sign that said something to the effect of they are not responsible for issues or problems that might happen with shark fin antennas. Being that I have one on my truck, I decided I to hold off getting the truck washed. Does anybody have one & has successfully been through a carwash? I'm hesitant because I don't want something happening that is an expensive fix.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost every car wash o have been to has disclaimers for items such as antennas, mirrors, spoilers, aftermarket accessories. I have taken my truck through a brushless car wash a couple of times and no issues with sharkfin, my Toyota rav4 has sharkfin and I have been though the car wash dozens of times without issue over the past couple of years.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I was headed to get my truck washed one morning but when I got there, there was a sign that said something to the effect of they are not responsible for issues or problems that might happen with shark fin antennas. Being that I have one on my truck, I decided I to hold off getting the truck washed. Does anybody have one & has successfully been through a carwash? I'm hesitant because I don't want something happening that is an expensive fix.
I've been through many car washes with no issues (touchless, brushes...the whole bit).

However, no car wash (except self-serve) has been open since March here. I'm getting used to seeing "Tex" in his dusty condition...he rarely leaves the garage.

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Dont ever take your car thru an automated wash.
Two buckets w grit guards high pressure water foaming cannon.3 or four plush microfibermits

:)

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I go through the automated touchless a lot without any issues in my truck. I do have to pull my mirrors at some of them though.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That’s just a CYA on their part.
You should be fine, although I would also stay away from anything but touchless if it were me.

Cheers,

Goomba

Reaction score
No touch in winter to blow crap off

Summer is in driveway!

No need for brushed car wash.

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red
Canadian, eh? How ya like it? Prior to December, I did not have a vehicle for about six or seven months. So I had not been to a car wash in awhile & brush vs brushless did not even occur to me. I will find out which one that car wash is. Well, I asked my mother who has been to the same Car Wash & she said, "Well, I went through those octopus thingies after the stuff was on it." Ummmmm.... I think I'll just call them & ask. Thank you guys very much! I feel I just won airhead of the year. ‍♀️♀️
⚖ Tiffany ⚖

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200430-074637_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200430-074637_Chrome.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 77

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Canadian, eh? How ya like it?

It’s awesomeness on 4 wheels, wrapped in an awesomeness red...

With the current events, I don’t get to drive it as much. Last 3 times (over a month) I stopped for gas, I only needed 1/2 tank to top it off. Yesterday I took it on the 401 (major highway here) for the first time since snow - first time I really could give her, pass, etc.... and it was awesome !
Coming from a 2013 Elantra, it sure is different !!

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been threw touchless carwashes in my Rebel at least 10 times and never had a problem with any add-ons or sharkfin antenna.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I've washed my truck since the day after I brought it home brand new (Rained the day I bought it) and have washed it almost every other day since then. (I'm a district manager of car washes) I've never had any issues with the shark fin, or scratches.. then again I'm also a car guy AND the one responsible for making sure all of our equipment is in 100% shape so that can't happen however we do have the same signage posted and it's mostly because we'll get people with 10+ Year old cars where the antenna has already been poorly replaced or the adhesive is just not up to par anymore and they come off under our blowers (Nothing touching them, just the air from the blower)

Maconi

Reaction score
I take mine through a car wash weekly (sometimes a few times a week) and other than a few scratches I haven't had any issues. The scratches I don't really care about because you don't notice them unless you're looking for them, and the truck looks 1000% better washed with a few scratches than dirty (since it's black). I can always get a paint correction in a couple years if the scratches accumulate.

20200323_152211-jpg.50279

ehk49

Reaction score
I've taken mine through the wash a few times with no major issues. That said, I did start to get some swirl marks and no longer use the car wash anymore. If it's real dirty, I'll bucket wash, but I typically use a waterless wash every other day. It seriously only takes about 15 minutes and the truck has that wet showroom look when done. I always thought waterless wash products were garbage and would hurt the paint, but I really like them.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My 2 buckets hit the trash heap long ago. Aint got no time to be scrubbing sheet metal no mo.
I can see both sides of the argument. It is a commitment having to invest time to wash your vehicle every week. More so if you do yours and your wife’s like I do. Not much fun in winter either.

We have the car wash places here with the membership model where you can take it every time you feel like it. I sorta miss that since my vehicle was always clean, but it did introduce tons of swirl marks from the brushes.

In the end, you have to chose which one is right for you. The problem with having real OCD is that I cannot unsee the swirls, so for me every week is detail week. Hopefully I can someday get over it and say “screw it”, and go back to having someone else wash my vehicle :D

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Foam canon, power washer. Couple of mits. Spent a good hour+ this morning doing all that. And I kid you not, right after I put the power washer back in the shed, a bird flew over and landed a nice green one on one of the rear doors....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Foam canon, power washer. Couple of mits. Spent a good hour+ this morning doing all that. And I kid you not, right after I put the power washer back in the shed, a bird flew over and landed a nice green one on one of the rear doors....
I know, right? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread