5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Wash

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It doesn't work great for anything, it's just what some might find acceptable. Just because you can't see what it's doing to your paint doesn't mean it's not causing harm to your paint.

If getting road grime/chemicals and dust off your paint is your main concern and you don't care if it's clean, you're much better using the wash bays to spray it down.
What damage? Ceramic treatment twice a year keeps my paint protected. Touchless does work great for what I use it for. Wash bays around here use city water, which is hard and leaves spots. Touchless wash finishes with DI water for the final rinse, then an air blower removes almost all the water.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow! You ceramic coat twice a year? How much does that run you? I mean DIY is like what $600? Figure I get paid about $100/hr. How many hours does it take?

I mean, just get a new paint job every 5 years.

Regular cloth carwash on a regular basis and I still have a full coat of paint on my truck after a year.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow! You ceramic coat twice a year? How much does that run you? I mean DIY is like what $600? Figure I get paid about $100/hr. How many hours does it take?
Lots of DIY choices out there for a lot less than $600 LOL. It's similar to applying a spray wax. Takes less than an hour to do the entire truck.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What damage? Ceramic treatment twice a year keeps my paint protected. Touchless does work great for what I use it for. Wash bays around here use city water, which is hard and leaves spots. Touchless wash finishes with DI water for the final rinse, then an air blower removes almost all the water.
Many touchless washes have bays with the same water available, so there goes that excuse.

Sure, you could overuse ceramic products, but why would you when you could just properly maintain the paint...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It already has.
And we have your word to go by on that. I'm not convinced.
Many touchless washes have bays with the same water available, so there goes that excuse.

Sure, you could overuse ceramic products, but why would you when you could just properly maintain the paint...
Maybe many do, but not where I live. Excuse, as you call it, still valid.

Applying ceramic products are not a method of maintaining the paint? Please, enlighten us with your wisdom on how to properly maintain paint.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It already has.
Can you explain to me, exactly, how I can quantify this. How do I inspect and measure how much damage the touchless wash does to paint vs how much damage hand washing chemicals/soaps etc do to paint- wash for wash. In order to make that claim, that means you must have some sort of evidence and a way to measure it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And we have your word to go by on that. I'm not convinced.

Maybe many do, but not where I live. Excuse, as you call it, still valid.

Applying ceramic products are not a method of maintaining the paint? Please, enlighten us with your wisdom on how to properly maintain paint.
It's an objective fact. Reminds me of the guys who think the teenager at the dealer washing their trucks with mud is good for it because "looks good to me."

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you explain to me, exactly, how I can quantify this. How do inspect and measure how much damage the touchless wash does to paint vs how much damage hand washing chemicals/soaps etc do to paint- wash for wash. In order to make that claim, that means you must have some sort of evidence and a way to measure it.
Well, you could have someone who knows what they're doing look at the paint.

Even easier, just give it some time. When your paint looks like ****, you'll figure it out.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you could have someone who knows what they're doing look at the paint.

Even easier, just give it some time. When your paint looks like ****, you'll figure it out.
Excellent non answer. Sooo… no, you don’t have any evidence of it, you’re just repeating something you hear?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You guys are all killing me. Takes me back to a thread about e15 destroying pistons by doing microscopic damage to the tops. Same deal with paint.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent non answer. Sooo… no, you don’t have any evidence of it, you’re just repeating something you hear?

Look, you can either learn how to take care of your paint, take it to someone who already knows how to do it, or just not care. Those are your options.

Just don't pretend that you not knowing anything means touchless washes are actually good for your paint after all.

You can take a belt sander to your paint for all I care, but I'm not going to play along that it's fine because you say it works for you.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Look, you can either learn how to take care of your paint, take it to someone who already knows how to do it, or just not care. Those are your options.

Just don't pretend that you not knowing anything means touchless washes are actually good for your paint after all.

You can take a belt sander to your paint for all I care, but I'm not going to play along that it's fine because you say it works for you.
Who said they are good for your paint? Any form of washing has the potential to do damage.

I'm still waiting for you to provide any data or proof to back up your claim that touchless car washes are ruining our paint.

Your paint is "good enough" for you.

This is why I don't buy used trucks.
Such a comedian. :ROFLMAO:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who said they are good for your paint? Any form of washing has the potential to do damage.

I'm still waiting for you to provide any data or proof to back up your claim that touchless car washes are ruining our paint.

Such a comedian. :ROFLMAO:
I don't know of any peer-reviewed studies on the effects of high pressure and chemicals on clear coat.

Not sure why you're cool with the garbage chemicals used in touchless washes but not the garbage chemicals used to clear roads. Neither are good for your clear coat, and both, along with insanely high water pressure wear it down over time. That's why you see 7-8 year old cars with faded looking paint. There are products that can and do fill in the missing clear coat, which is why you get people who don't know better claiming that their paint looks perfect after 1300 touchless washes. Doesn't make it so. Just means you're putting makeup on an ugly chick.

Not sure what you think a clear coat is, but if you don't understand that chemicals and abrasion aren't good for it...not sure it matters what I tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread