5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Where do they source the 12v power from?
I will double check but I believe they wired it right off the tail light. This powers the remote lock on the latch, 24" LED strip, and two USB ports in the back. I asked about a conventional plug or a cigarette plug and they said it would have to wired a little differently. I think though that has more to do with the wire gage vs what they wire into.

RJS

Reaction score
Where do they source the 12v power from?
For constant on power there's a 12v wire in the 7- pin trailer connector as well as brake lights if you have one. I used an adapter that fits between the 7-pin plug and harness to put power to my bed. I did change some wires around in the adapter but there's no cutting into the truck harness this way.

carpram1500

Reaction score
Hey RJS, do you know if there’s a way to make the 12v power source from the 7 pin trailer connector dependent upon the ignition? I’d like to use it to charge a secondary battery in my camper but don’t want to drain my battery under the hood if I park and forget to unplug the 7 pin.

BuiltToServeCeramic

Reaction score
New to this thread and just read through every post. Very good information! Does anyone have any more pictures of an ARE Z2? Was quoted $2495 and told the Revo and Evolve do not fit well on the new Rams and couldn't even get pricing? Any new Revos or Evolves out there?? Thanks in advance!!

stevegads19

Reaction score
Figured I'd post my new topper from ATC. Model is the LEX. 1500 crew cab with the 6'4" bed. All things remain stock on the vehicle right now aside from the topper.

Attachments

• IMG_8339.JPG
    IMG_8339.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_8340.JPG
    IMG_8340.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_8341.JPG
    IMG_8341.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_8342.JPG
    IMG_8342.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 302

RamSam

Reaction score
Figured I'd post my new topper from ATC. Model is the LEX. 1500 crew cab with the 6'4" bed. All things remain stock on the vehicle right now aside from the topper.
Thanks for the pics. Trying to decide what brand to go with and ATC is one I'm considering. Are you happy with quality?

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Just added a Lear with the slider windoors an am loving it so far. Being able to open up the sides and get to the bed slide side storage is great.

Quality of the topper is good, the color matching is good too, whomever was installing the windows rushed a bit, but it’s only noticeable if you’re looking hard. I’ve gone back and cleaned up or adjusted whatever I happen upon. Honestly though, It’s beyond my expectations... these things have a reputation for being slapped together and I had expected far worse.

The bed slide, BTW, is amazing. It, or something like it, should be a requisite for toppers
F0366180-ECE0-4202-978F-CD36B93B70D9.jpeg

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Just added a Lear with the slider windoors an am loving it so far. Being able to open up the sides and get to the bed slide side storage is great.

Quality of the topper is good, the color matching is good too, whomever was installing the windows rushed a bit, but it’s only noticeable if you’re looking hard. I’ve gone back and cleaned up or adjusted whatever I happen upon. Honestly though, It’s beyond my expectations... these things have a reputation for being slapped together and I had expected far worse.

The bed slide, BTW, is amazing. It, or something like it, should be a requisite for toppers
View attachment 69150
I like the rear sliders on those toppers. I ended up going with a Snugtop but really wanted those windows in mine. Glad your happy with it, looks great.

1guyandtools

Reaction score

View attachment 69150
Leer and slider, the only way to go 20200322_114159.jpg Ram .jpg

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always been a ARE guy (Z’s on the last two), but went with the XQ with Leer Locker this round. Due to the QC issues with the Revo, etc. I am OK with the looks of the Leer, but the Locker is great. Can handle almost all my bird hunting gear and emergency recover gear with no problem. Never will have another shell without it.

If you get the Leer Locker, make sure you go over and torque the fasteners to “spec” every so often. They will rattle loose. Someone failed to install the required lock-washers on mine and I almost had a series problem when I noticed one corner had vibrated off and was hanging gown about 10inches. At the time, two other corners were about 2 threads from killing the top.

You can get an ARE and then add a Cap-rack on your own, but you better be good at measuring.

Above all, I bit the bullet and got the BedRug all around as opposed to just the bed floor. Not sure of the benefits of the bed sides being wrapped in BedRug, but it really looks nice and is a benefit when you crawl in the bed or sleep in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What is the cap rack you reference? I have an ARE and looking at the leer locker it seems like a great addition. When I google cap rack I get results for ladder racks etc. Thanks!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ARE CX series with screen sliders, led rope light, Yakima tracks and 3 place power supply (always on - wired to tail light I believe along with rope light switch). Also has a DIY bed drawer that I often remove for headspace when sleeping in the bed. I had a Z series on my 4th gen with auto-lock, opening side windows and drop down front window but didn't have as much expendable income this time around. I miss those features but still like the cap. I did have issues with leaking that the dealer solved with a tailgate seal kit and silicone on the bed rails but I am not super happy with that as it will need to be redone if/when topper is removed and re-installed.

Attachments

• Ram rear.png
    Ram rear.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 303
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 300
  • topper info.png
    topper info.png
    448.1 KB · Views: 303
  • topper open.jpg
    topper open.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 235
  • topper plug.jpg
    topper plug.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 249

stevegads19

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Trying to decide what brand to go with and ATC is one I'm considering. Are you happy with quality?

I am very happy with the quality and overall styling after having it for a month or so now

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I know this is a broad question but what does a topper go for? This would be for a short bed and any manufacturer is fine as I haven’t decided which one yet, however I am leaning towards Snugtop and Leer and A.R.E.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
I know this is a broad question but what does a topper go for? This would be for a short bed and any manufacturer is fine as I haven’t decided which one yet, however I am leaning towards Snugtop and Leer and A.R.E.
They all have a base price and then go from there based on add ons. I have a Snugtop Rebel, which the base price is $2500.

Batlwagn

Reaction score
Just ordered a LEER 100XR with headliner, LED lighting, power port, front slider, side sliders with pet screens and it was 2600ish with tax. Add the bed rug as well and it was right at 3k

Users who are viewing this thread