5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

pjschwartz

Reaction score
Curious to see pictures of how other members have organized the inside of their bed/topper. Please post pics.

I’m have always been a fan of using the indentations in the sides of the bed to build a deck to slide long items under it and have bulky items on top. I’m an outdoorsman so that’s my plan here too. The indentations in the 5th gen Ram bed ate a bit odd though and one will need to get creative.

CMENT

Reaction score
I called ARE yesterday to see if there are any updates because I really want the CX Evolve.

The lady was pretty tight lipped and said they are still redeveloping that topper. I couldn’t even get her to give a 3 month, 6 month or even 1 year or longer projection on availability.

Just too bad, I would shelled the money for one of those things.

My dealer basically said that the Evolve and Revo are (with the exception of the molds) back at square one in development as a month ago. He believes there were more problems than just the adhesive failing. He has no idea when they will be available. He has little faith in these new tops and will be suggesting his buyers wait 6months before purchasing to see if they hold up. He also said that while the interest in these tops is very high, he and other dealers are pretty scared after the initial quality issues of the first release (remember, the dealers have to do the warranty work.) I really wanted one of these and then looked at a Z2, but the Z2 does not have a sliding window or vent option(smh) that I need for the dogs. Now I am looking at a Leer 100xq with the Leer Locker, if I can find a dealer I trust.

RamSco

Reaction score
I just purchased a white big horn crew cab sport and looking for a cap. Not many companies with 2019 models out yet that I've seen. Hoping for recommendations that look clean, fit body lines well, and seal well. Looking for more of a sporty look than utility and don't want a high roof.
Thanks
Mine is a Leer 100R. In hindsight, I wish I would have ordered the 100XR as the back door seals better. The lines would be the same on either.

Attachments

• 33251F3A-FBD5-4430-BFAA-F254D80DC270.jpeg
    33251F3A-FBD5-4430-BFAA-F254D80DC270.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 497

krakenatwork

Reaction score
I bought a Fibrobec E-Sport which is (i think) a rebranded A.R.E. CX. The 2 companies are somehow related (maybe Fibrobec makes A.R.E. toppers under license?)

Below CAD$2700 including a top rack and 15% taxes. (around USD$2000)

CMENT

Reaction score
Having been fed-up with ARE dragging there feet on several products (window option on Z2 and the Revo). Just ordered a Leer XQ with a Leer Locker and full bed rug.

I got quotes from 2 different Leer dealers and one was about $1,100 cheaper. SMH. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rod Knock

Reaction score
My REVO is set to be installed this Tuesday. Pretty much 8 months after i ordered it. I hope like hell there is no QC issues and the color matches.

Gardner

Reaction score
Attached a photo of mine. I ordered it from American Tonneau, installed it myself (unbelievably simple). Cost was around $250 and included a nifty little dust seal for the gap between tailgate and bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019 Bighorn Crew cab, 4x4, 3.21 rear and the usual standard stuff. Build date was 11/18.
Options: Delmonico Red, Cloth buckets, level 2 equip package (8.4 in screen and other stuff).
5.7 Hemi, Ram SS running boards and also, an after market American tonneau fabric cover.

Attachments

• 20190817_184605.jpg
    20190817_184605.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 128

RJS

Reaction score
That looks like the "strike latch" just needs to be adjusted.

Personally, I would never drive away with a product that did that.
Personally, I think the cap is mounted to far to the rear of the truck. My ARE Z cap mounts with the cap corner and the truck bed corner about flush. If that doesn't fix it, then he does have a gripe. I would point out however, the whole rear door glass and if they want in, it's pretty simple to just smash it.

pjschwartz

Reaction score
Son of a... really? I ran across this video today.

This video is not making me feel good about this topper. I ordered an Evolve, but was told I am months out and that they aren’t making the Evolves for Ram yet. I dunno, I’m now contemplating cancelling my order.

louz

Reaction score
This video is not making me feel good about this topper. I ordered an Evolve, but was told I am months out and that they aren’t making the Evolves for Ram yet. I dunno, I’m now contemplating cancelling my order.
Why deal with a company that does not produce a product. Went thru that last fall with wanting a Z series.

Turned to LEER. Ordered a QX and 3 weeks later its on my truck. DONE

CMENT

Reaction score
Why deal with a company that does not produce a product. Went thru that last fall with wanting a Z series.

Turned to LEER. Ordered a QX and 3 weeks later its on my truck. DONE

^^This

I wanted a Revo or Z series and my ARE dealer is awesome. I got sick and tired waiting and pulled the trigger on an XQ with Leer locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rod Knock

Reaction score
The dealer i'm going through contacted ARE and was told that they had worked with the guy in the video and the installer.
I guess it was an installation issue.
That video was also from June when they shut down production to fix the issue with the rear glass. Hopefully its all squared away now and is as good as I hope it is.
Its getting installed now and will let you guys know.

pjschwartz

Reaction score
I’ve had enough of ARE. Both my dealer and ARE won’t give me a straight answer on when they will even book my order. It seems like there have been mounting issues with the Evolve/Revo for too long and this video was what put me over the edge, even if they fixed the issue....what’s next? I just received a quote for a Leer 100xr with vented windoors, flipdown slider front window, carpeted ceiling, and auto dome light for $2600, tax and install included. I wish it was less expensive, but I’m going to pull the trigger. No more waiting around.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I’ve had enough of ARE. Both my dealer and ARE won’t give me a straight answer on when they will even book my order. It seems like there have been mounting issues with the Evolve/Revo for too long and this video was what put me over the edge, even if they fixed the issue....what’s next? I just received a quote for a Leer 100xr with vented windoors, flipdown slider front window, carpeted ceiling, and auto dome light for $2600, tax and install included. I wish it was less expensive, but I’m going to pull the trigger. No more waiting around.

Go that route.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Had the REVO installed today. It seems like a nice topper except for the fitment of that damn back window!
To get it to seal against the tail gate, the strike plates had to be adjusted so tight that even if I slammed the window it wouldn't latch. I would have to put some force into pushing on each corner to get them to click. If I set it so that it closes without having to press then there is 1/4" gap in areas on the bottom edge.
It seems like there is something out of alignment or binding that causes the one side to not close without extra force. I've adjusted the latches, the latch plates and window hinges trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
I already did way to much ****ing around after paying $2700 for it. I figured I could just adjust the hinges better at home and I did to some extent but now I have to fix that gap issue.
O and the video I posted earlier, yeah pretty easy to get into it when locked. So whats the point of having the lock mechanism tied to the key fob if the lock can be bypassed.
I have the choice of slam shutting and pressing the door close to not have the gap or adjusting it like it is now and being able to shut it firmly but have a gap.

The simple fix is finding a bigger window gasket for bottom of the window. I don't know why they put such a small one on in the first place.
Still doesn't fix the security issue.
O and gotta love the cheap taped on LED light...

Going to work with the company i bought it from and see what they have to say or can do. If anything I will try to return it and go get a Leer.

8FxZY8g.jpg

AQL43mR.jpg

g1l4Pg9.jpg

7yaLPyq.jpg

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the REVO installed today. It seems like a nice topper except for the fitment of that damn back window!
To get it to seal against the tail gate, the strike plates had to be adjusted so tight that even if I slammed the window it wouldn't latch. I would have to put some force into pushing on each corner to get them to click. If I set it so that it closes without having to press then there is 1/4" gap in areas on the bottom edge.
It seems like there is something out of alignment or binding that causes the one side to not close without extra force. I've adjusted the latches, the latch plates and window hinges trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
I already did way to much ****ing around after paying $2700 for it. I figured I could just adjust the hinges better at home and I did to some extent but now I have to fix that gap issue.
O and the video I posted earlier, yeah pretty easy to get into it when locked. So whats the point of having the lock mechanism tied to the key fob if the lock can be bypassed.
I have the choice of slam shutting and pressing the door close to not have the gap or adjusting it like it is now and being able to shut it firmly but have a gap.

The simple fix is finding a bigger window gasket for bottom of the window. I don't know why they put such a small one on in the first place.
Still doesn't fix the security issue.
O and gotta love the cheap taped on LED light...

Going to work with the company i bought it from and see what they have to say or can do. If anything I will try to return it and go get a Leer.

8FxZY8g.jpg

AQL43mR.jpg

g1l4Pg9.jpg

7yaLPyq.jpg
do you have a pic of the back glass from the outside ?

Users who are viewing this thread