5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

Rod Knock

Reaction score
B9C1ZTD.jpg

Curious about these small holes, don't know if they are drain holes or what.
Not sure if they are supposed to be capped. Wonder what will happen when ice packs in there over the winter.
hWrJdVP.jpg

CMENT

Reaction score
That would be my guess, but were could water enter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mx1alex

Reaction score
Man I really wish one of the camper shell companies would make a topper with some chrome trim around the windows to match the trim around the windows of my truck. I really want to get a camper shell again but I just don't like the look of the trucks when the trim doesn't match whats on the camper.

CMENT

Reaction score
Man I really wish one of the camper shell companies would make a topper with some chrome trim around the windows to match the trim around the windows of my truck. I really want to get a camper shell again but I just don't like the look of the trucks when the trim doesn't match whats on the camper.

Just installed my Leer XQ in Maximum Steel on my limited. I will take some pics.

Helmetface

Reaction score

Chrome delete the entire truck! Win, win!

Rod Knock

Reaction score
ARE sent a video of how to adjust the Revo and Evolve toppers to the installer and I had them send it to me. I got the window to close as expected and seal along the entire bottom edge.
I had to move the entire topper forward 1/8-1/4" and then adjust the angle and lateral depth of the hinges themselves by loosening 2 bolts on the bottom side of each and the back side.
If I can go through a car was and not get water all over inside and drive down my gravel road without filling it with dust i'll be a happy camper.

If I knew then what I know now, this whole thing would have taken me about 20 minutes to adjust instead of 2 hours of screwing around.

Edit... I'm done with this ARE topper. Time to order a Leer 100XQ.

Last edited:

Wolleworld

Reaction score
Why deal with a company that does not produce a product. Went thru that last fall with wanting a Z series.

Turned to LEER. Ordered a QX and 3 weeks later its on my truck. DONE
Do you have any pics?

gatorhwk

Reaction score
I have a chance to grab a new ATC LEX series for a grand less than retail ($1,395), but would need to paint it. I've only seen a couple of pics so far though. Does anyone have a take on ATC quality?

Helmetface

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cap, but having a hard time deciding which make to go with:

I was quoted an A.R.E Z2, painted with racks and remote lock for $3200!

I was also quoted an identical Century cap for $2500

I was blown away by the price difference. Can anyone comment as to why the Century would hold up as well compared to the ARE? I'd like to price out a Leer as well, but the local dealers apparently are too busy to return phone calls.

Thank you!

RichT

Reaction score
Still really happy with it. I still need to look for and install a rack though. Just doesn't look complete to me yet. Want a flat mesh over the cab and topper. Topper has been great though. No alignment issues, no leaks, no problems with the hinges locks or lighting. I do wish they had windors that slide open and also fold open out, but the slides were not an option.

Helmetface

Reaction score
LEER QX

Attachments

• 20191031_164210.jpg
    20191031_164210.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 579
  • 20191031_164505.jpg
    20191031_164505.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 572
  • 20191031_164459.jpg
    20191031_164459.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 20191031_164515.jpg
    20191031_164515.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 506

flynfish

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cap, but having a hard time deciding which make to go with:

I was quoted an A.R.E Z2, painted with racks and remote lock for $3200!

I was also quoted an identical Century cap for $2500

I was blown away by the price difference. Can anyone comment as to why the Century would hold up as well compared to the ARE? I'd like to price out a Leer as well, but the local dealers apparently are too busy to return phone calls.

Thank you!

In my searching it looking like the ARE Z2 was the best looking one. I haven’t looked or seen the century ones yet. Do they look as good as the Z2? Is there a specific model that compares to the Z2?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
(edited post)
While that looks really sharp, I just can't see dropping $3200 on a topper anymore. I had a similar style ARE on my F-150 (2015, 6.5' bed) and that was like $2300.
It didn't get me very much when I traded 2 yrs later, maybe $200 more. That's when you lose big time.
Someone got a nice truck, though it had the 2.7 with the direct injection valve coking issues that have since come to light. It's always something!

Last edited by a moderator:

JustMe

Reaction score
Interesting! Very interesting to find the "winner" to be ARE among the Cap/Canopy dept.!
No-one DARES to be "Different"? I've had a Nice ARE Cap on my previously owned from new Dodge 1500 for 13 years. But now I want something New and Different, out of the box Different. After seeing the videos of the Overland Experience at SEMA -- Gladiator Heavy, but a few RAMS, I've come to that conclusion.
I am seriously considering the new, SOON to be introduced to USA ( via S. Africa ) - RSI SmartCap, I believe the website is www.rsismartcap.com !? They have a New Video that can be accessed via the video icon. Worth noting the full sized version is on a FORD, but the VP of RSI ( we've been emailing back & forth for a month ) DAN B. has big plans in EARLY 2020 for Distribution via KEYSTONE . 2 models - EVO & EVOc . The Gladiator versions will Follow closely the Lines of the Gladiator . . . not like some of these Aussie or S.African Imports or S.S. or aluminum that have steep sloping sides . This for ME will be my Overland /Camping Rig on either a 2020 Laramie Quad w/ORP or I may get a Sport S Gladiator and do the same thing ? I'm not good at posting videos or photos unless they are from my own iPhoto collection, so if anyone is inclined to go to the website and download that video . . . it will certainly give us all another option ! Of course there are the RLD & Alu-Cab versions too, but personally I've ruled them out !
ps; there is an older video showing one being assembled, however the designs have improved with such things as HIDDEN hinges now . . . ! VP DAN B. says to expect a full complement on hand at the Overland West Expo in MAY 13-15 ?. Other venues too some earlier, but the Website will be the 1st (soonest) to get photos & video . . . I'm guessing come Jan./Feb. !?

Last edited:

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
Yes!!!! This is what I’ve been looking for.

Interesting! Very interesting to find the "winner" to be ARE among the Cap/Canopy dept.!
No-one DARES to be "Different"? I've had a Nice ARE Cap on my previously owned from new Dodge 1500 for 13 years. But now I want something New and Different, out of the box Different. After seeing the videos of the Overland Experience at SEMA -- Gladiator Heavy, but a few RAMS, I've come to that conclusion.
I am seriously considering the new, SOON to be introduced to USA ( via S. Africa ) - RSI SmartCap, I believe the website is www.rsismartcap.com !? They have a New Video that can be accessed via the video icon. Worth noting the full sized version is on a FORD, but the VP of RSI ( we've been emailing back & forth for a month ) DAN B. has big plans in EARLY 2020 for Distribution via KEYSTONE . 2 models - EVO & EVOc . The Gladiator versions will Follow closely the Lines of the Gladiator . . . not like some of these Aussie or S.African Imports or S.S. or aluminum that have steep sloping sides . This for ME will be my Overland /Camping Rig on either a 2020 Laramie Quad w/ORP or I may get a Sport S Gladiator and do the same thing ? I'm not good at posting videos or photos unless they are from my own iPhoto collection, so if anyone is inclined to go to the website and download that video . . . it will certainly give us all another option ! Of course there are the RLD & Alu-Cab versions too, but personally I've ruled them out !
ps; there is an older video showing one being assembled, however the designs have improved with such things as HIDDEN hinges now . . . ! VP DAN B. says to expect a full complement on hand at the Overland West Expo in MAY 13-15 ?. Other venues too some earlier, but the Website will be the 1st (soonest) to get photos & video . . . I'm guessing come Jan./Feb. !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustMe

Reaction score
Yes!!!! This is what I’ve been looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, finally. Finally a response. Thank you Sir . . . and a belated, by a few hours, Merry Christmas or Holiday or what it is you choose to Celebrate this time of year!
Pretty cool "CAP" huh? I just discovered yesterday via a YouTube (YT) search that RSI has a EVOc version with a FULL Hatch-style rear opening (removes tailgate) . . . I really like it. Don't think it will be available in USA (2020) but IF it were I might be on board with IT. Next email to the RSI VP, I'll be inquiring. The video didn't seem to indicate a place for A BackUp Camera!? SnugTop has something similar (blown fiberglass as usual), but it has a 60/40 split door and thus the High Mounting location for an optional BackUp Camera is NOT Centered.
Since my last post I've pretty much made up my mind on what the vehicle of choice will be, IF I buy - The RAM; this will allow me to be able to Sleep "comfortably" at 6ft tall. Gonna be a QUAD, most likely, and I'm still Hoping RAM changes up their "greedy" little options to allow people to get the 'MFT' (multi function tailgate) as ORIGINALLY advertised at the Reveals. That being a $995 stand alone option -- NOT tied into HAVING TO also get package #2 AND the Spray-in bed liner = another $2000; $3000 in all.
Bet RAM is loosing out on many buyers - well at least this one, me, over this issue! I can't even get the MFT on a Quad truck. THIS is what is holding up my buying and there is still that option of just keeping my Grand Cherokee.
Have no need for a Crew with the 5ft-7in bed, and a Crew with the 6ft-4in bed would be terrible at off roading.

Here's a big IF - JEEP making a Gladiator with a Quad sized cab and (thus allowing) a 5ft-7in bed . . . THAT I would buy over ANY RAM. Won't be holding my breath for that.

I WONDER IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY THOUGHTS ON THE 'MFT' for a QUAD RAM (No RamBox) . . . AND, not having to "buy into" all the other items in order to get it ? ? ? I could start a thread, but I don't seem to be generating much enthusiasm of anything I post. Geez, what could it be? I shower every day . . . I try to be polite and . . . ? :unsure: :) :D
Well . . . to get back on topic . . . this is about the RSI . . . not "me" . . . and thanks again for the "like" and that you too think the SmartCap is a Smart idea!

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put a Leer 700 Tonneau top on my new Ram. Looks great.....fits well...color match is perfect. Paid $1400 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread