5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't decide between these two used Laramies

Jimp1

Reaction score
I would go with the 21. Price that truck out now and it will be high 60's.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don’t think you like that flame red now don’t get it. I can’t think of anything worse than buying a truck and deciding after a couple weeks that you hate the color. I’d go with the 2020 for the delmonico and ORG. The difference in mileage between the two doesn’t really matter.

I think you’re right about that truck sitting because of the color and exhaust. The flame red is by far the color I see the least on Rams where I live. There is a reason for that….

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Oh my god I just looked at the listings. Get the Delmonico, that flame red is hideous. Also always worried someone who trades in a 1 year old truck possibly due to it being a dud/lemon. Plus any vehicle with aftermarket mods is likely driven harder - I drive my Limited like a grandpa and drive my RS5 with Intakes and exhaust like a raped ape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klicht87

Reaction score
I bought my fully loaded laramie with air suspension last February for 60K brand new. I'm glad I did because the prices are crazy for trucks with fewer options due to the shortage. I guess it is what it is.

The 2021 may have a few more bugs worked out than the 2020. I like flame red but not in that model. Get what you like. I have a factory exhaust intact sitting in my garage if you need it. Up in Connecticut.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my fully loaded laramie with air suspension last February for 60K brand new. I'm glad I did because the prices are crazy for trucks with fewer options due to the shortage. I guess it is what it is.

The 2021 may have a few more bugs worked out than the 2020. I like flame red but not in that model. Get what you like. I have a factory exhaust intact sitting in my garage if you need it. Up in Connecticut.

Same, I ordered mine in March and it was my first new vehicle ever due to how ridiculous the used prices were. I generally would buy at around 2 years old and 20k miles, but they were just as expensive if not more than the new truck I ended up ordering. No way I could justify paying as much for something used, but I had the luxury of being able to wait for an order.

To the OP, due to what I said above I wouldn't recommend either of these but you have to do what you have to do for your situation.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Oh my god I just looked at the listings. Get the Delmonico, that flame red is hideous. Also always worried someone who trades in a 1 year old truck possibly due to it being a dud/lemon. Plus any vehicle with aftermarket mods is likely driven harder - I drive my Limited like a grandpa and drive my RS5 with Intakes and exhaust like a raped ape.

Just curious why you think the color is hideous. Is it the chrome accents?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same, I ordered mine in March and it was my first new vehicle ever due to how ridiculous the used prices were. I generally would buy at around 2 years old and 20k miles, but they were just as expensive if not more than the new truck I ended up ordering. No way I could justify paying as much for something used, but I had the luxury of being able to wait for an order.

To the OP, due to what I said above I wouldn't recommend either of these but you have to do what you have to do for your situation.
Yep, I do the same. I usually buy a two year old truck but I hold out for something with less than 5k miles. The price of a truck fitting that description was just stupid expensive and very hard to find. I'm kind of glad we are in this situation because I finally got the truck I wanted without any compromises.

jgmac98

Reaction score
Not my money, but I look at exterior color as a secondary item, I sit inside the truck and use it, therefore color isn't as important. That being said, we camp a lot and my daughter pointed out last year that she always knew were we camped because my last truck was Candy Apple Red, whereas most other campers seem to have black/grey/white trucks. This was part of the reason I ordered the Hydro Blue Pearl, it will stand out a bit but still looks sharp (and I feel the Fire Red does the same).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can't speak for Johnny, but personally I like the Flame Red on a Rebel or TRX, especially if it's the two-tone red/black. And it looks much better in person than in pics. Just not not a fan of the Flame Red on any other model.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you didn’t ask this of me but I also hate bright red. And yes the chrome accents make it look worse. The Red night editions with the black wheels and accents look much better. I really like the Delminico red, looks sharp

Last edited:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm kind of glad we are in this situation because I finally got the truck I wanted without any compromises.

Haha yeah it isn't all bad in the end, it certainly was nice to order a truck exactly the way I wanted it rather than the exhausting searching I usually put myself through to find the near perfect one.

Can't speak for Johnny, but personally I like the Flame Red on a Rebel or TRX, especially if it's the two-tone red/black. And it looks much better in person than in pics. Just not not a fan of the Flame Red on any other model.

Agreed, I like the flame red a lot more when it's dechromed like my 4th gen regular cab was:

IMG_3523.jpg

I think in this setup the color looks really good without being too obnoxious, but I like more colorful vehicles anyway so it never bothered me at all.

Johnny_H

Reaction score

This is exactly how I feel. But mostly a low mile 1 year old aftermarket modded truck just seems like too many red flags for me. Fully making assumptions this guy was just driving the **** out of it doing donuts in the Walmart parking lot and drag racing Subaru WRXs for 6 months.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Haha yeah it isn't all bad in the end, it certainly was nice to order a truck exactly the way I wanted it rather than the exhausting searching I usually put myself through to find the near perfect one.

Agreed, I like the flame red a lot more when it's dechromed like my 4th gen regular cab was:

View attachment 111530

I think in this setup the color looks really good without being too obnoxious, but I like more colorful vehicles anyway so it never bothered me at all.
How hard would it be to remove the chrome side trim door pieces? Once those were off, I could swap the chrome side steps for black ones or remove entirely. The only thing left would be to paint the plastic grille part that is chrome into black. As far as exterior appearance it would seem that's all there is to making this 2021 I'm looking at into a Night Edition with the exception of the black accent on the nose of hood. Arh, scrath that. I just realized in the red, only Delmonico is offered for Night Edition.

Last edited:

sessman

Reaction score
At those prices, I’d keep shopping. For example, I looked at the Mark Dodge site, and they’ve got new 2022 Laramies for $10K off MSRP. Granted, with the chip shortage, they might not be as loaded as the two you’re looking at.

I wouldn’t pay $56K for a used Laramie personally.
Agreed, however, if I were to choose it would be the 2021 due to having less than half of the mileage of the 2020. That being said the owner bought flame red and added loud exhaust, how well do you think it was driven?

sessman

Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel. But mostly a low mile 1 year old aftermarket modded truck just seems like too many red flags for me. Fully making assumptions this guy was just driving the **** out of it doing donuts in the Walmart parking lot and drag racing Subaru WRXs for 6 months.

LOL exactly my fear...

jzinckgra

Reaction score
LOL exactly my fear...
Carfax shows dealer where it was sold. It was supposedly a lease. Maybe someone at the dealer knew the owner. I've called dealers before to find out about previous owners and maintenance. I know they can't provide name and such but doesn't hurt to see what I can find out

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How hard would it be to remove the chrome side trim door pieces? Once those were off, I could swap the chrome side steps for black ones or remove entirely. The only thing left would be to paint the plastic grille part that is chrome into black. As far as exterior appearance it would seem that's all there is to making this 2021 I'm looking at into a Night Edition with the exception of the black accent on the nose of hood. Arh, scrath that. I just realized in the red, only Delmonico is offered for Night Edition.
Taillights and headlights are blacked out on the Night Editions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread