5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't decide between these two used Laramies

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Apologize if this is in the wrong place as I didn't see another spot to post. I am looking at two different 1500 Laromies, both nearly fully loaded with sport appearance. One is a 2021 Flame Red with 7800mi, 22" wheels, Borla exhaust and tonneau cover. The other located 2hrs away is a 2020 Delmonico with 18,000mi and 20" wheels. I've already driven the 2021 and really like it, but I have a couple hesitations:
1. the Flame Red is pretty bright and I am a more conservative guy that doesn't like drawing attention to myself, although I'm warming up to the color
2. The borla exhaust is pretty loud. Pretty sure it is a type S. I'd likely revert to stock
3. The 22" wheels will not work well in the snow here in Maine, so need to get a winter set.

The price of the 2021 is $56,200. The 2020 is $54,700. I'm leaning towards the 2021 because it has fewer miles and is one year newer and thus 1yr longer on warranty. However, the 2021 requires that I revert the exhaust back to stock and get 2nd wheelset and hope I can live with the Flame Red. Looks like there are some used stock exhausts locally to me for ~$250, so not big money and I can always sell the Borla. Getting 2nd set of tires also not a huge deal, but winter is coming and I'd need to get a set asap. FYI, I'd be trading a 2020 Ranger for which both dealers are giving me the same trade.
Here are the links to both trucks:
2021: https://www.landroverme.com/all-inv....pageName=INVENTORY_LISTING_DEFAULT_AUTO_USED

2020: https://www.colonialcadillacwoburn....ed-2020-Ram-1500-Laramie-WOBURN-MA/5163878130

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At those prices, I’d keep shopping. For example, I looked at the Mark Dodge site, and they’ve got new 2022 Laramies for $10K off MSRP. Granted, with the chip shortage, they might not be as loaded as the two you’re looking at.

I wouldn’t pay $56K for a used Laramie personally.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You’re not exaggerating about that red color, that thing is bright. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the 2021 because of how close the prices are. That being said, don’t rush anything. I agree with checking with Mark dodge like jimothy said. The MSRP on my truck with everything the red one has except the wireless charger was $59995. Don’t put yourself into something you’re upside down on for four or five years.

RJS

Reaction score
Apologize if this is in the wrong place as I didn't see another spot to post. I am looking at two different 1500 Laromies, both nearly fully loaded with sport appearance. One is a 2021 Flame Red with 7800mi, 22" wheels, Borla exhaust and tonneau cover. The other located 2hrs away is a 2020 Delmonico with 18,000mi and 20" wheels. I've already driven the 2021 and really like it, but I have a couple hesitations:
1. the Flame Red is pretty bright and I am a more conservative guy that doesn't like drawing attention to myself, although I'm warming up to the color
2. The borla exhaust is pretty loud. Pretty sure it is a type S. I'd likely revert to stock
3. The 22" wheels will not work well in the snow here in Maine, so need to get a winter set.

The price of the 2021 is $56,200. The 2020 is $54,700. I'm leaning towards the 2021 because it has fewer miles and is one year newer and thus 1yr longer on warranty. However, the 2021 requires that I revert the exhaust back to stock and get 2nd wheelset and hope I can live with the Flame Red. Looks like there are some used stock exhausts locally to me for ~$250, so not big money and I can always sell the Borla. Getting 2nd set of tires also not a huge deal, but winter is coming and I'd need to get a set asap. FYI, I'd be trading a 2020 Ranger for which both dealers are giving me the same trade.
Here are the links to both trucks:
2021: https://www.landroverme.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=ram&dl.custom.form.id=&dl.element=BUTTON+ Search &dl.formElapsedTime=1383&dl.formTrackingId=INVENTORY_SEARCH&dl.isModal=&dl.params=&dl.widgetName=&dl.pageName=INVENTORY_LISTING_DEFAULT_AUTO_USED

2020: https://www.colonialcadillacwoburn....ed-2020-Ram-1500-Laramie-WOBURN-MA/5163878130
The 2020 is close to my 19 Laramie sport except mine has the HK audio upgrade and ventilated rear seats so the sticker on the 2020 is probably under $58K as mine was about $61K.

The sticker on a 2022 would probably be around $60K so IIWM, I'd consider a 2022 as it appears you have a newer ride currently. I know there are currently issues with ordering and getting some accessory groups but I'd explore a new one before I'd go with one used in this price range.

BNJMN

Reaction score
I agree- follow the Carfax links to the window stickers. Neither is a good price unless you are in a jam and have to have a vehicle now. If not, build what you want and order it. I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle from Texas; I think the second one is.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The 21 also most likely has e torque. The 20 doesn’t, at least it doesn’t have the hood badge for it.

If that’s also something you’re worried about or want.

That’s a pretty good price on the 21 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNJMN

Reaction score
56K on a sticker of 61 - I'd still go place an order unless all the dealers near you are MSRP+ - I think there are still some out there selling less than msrp; even better if you qualify for some of the discounts like first responder.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Don’t worry about the 22s in snow. I was towing cars out of 16 inches of snow last night here in Saskatchewan. Just make sure you have good tires (anything other than the stock Goodyears). I have Continental HTs and they were just as good as my buddy’s truck with dedicated snow tires (a waste imo). Some guys have ATs which I’ve found are actually even better in deep snow, but they have less grip on ice.

I’ve actually really been enjoying the 22s. The ride is still great, they look awesome, and they aren’t too much more money to replace - don’t let them turn you off!

4f0dab1c4044d8909fbd3997f5100715.jpg

Last edited:

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Regarding Mark Dodge, I see they have a lot of 1500's, but only a few in the Laromie and not any having all the same features of the ones I am looking at. By the time I had it shipped, it would cost more. Also, by trading my Ranger in here, I only pay sales tax on the difference between the 2021 and the trade. In this case I'd pay $1000 in sales tax. If I bought from Mark Dodge and sold my truck privately or through vroom, sales tax would be about $3000. I just don't see buying a new one also given my financial limit on a new truck would have to be no more than 55,000. Not seeing that happening with features I want. Dealers in New England aren't budging much on price. The Flame Red 2021 has been sitting at this Land Rover dealer since August. It's not selling likely because of color, aftermarket exhaust, large wheels and also 3.21 axle ratio. I made this case to the dealer and asked they be more aggressive, but their not moving anymore on price and said they may unload it to a local truck dealer who could probably sell it faster. It's interesting because the Land Rover dealer supposedely bought this truck at auction because there are very few vehicles on the lot and they needed something to sell. Not sure I buy that for a second, but they claim it was not a trade in and the carfax supports that.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 21 also most likely has e torque. The 20 doesn’t, at least it doesn’t have the hood badge for it.

No etorque according to the build sheet.

Also, both of these trucks have blind spot monitoring and cross path detection. A 2022 Laramie will not have those.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The blue etorque being part of the hood badge is only on 2021+

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At those prices contact Mark Dodge and get a Limited, as long as you can still delete air suspension for Maine winters

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I agree- follow the Carfax links to the window stickers. Neither is a good price unless you are in a jam and have to have a vehicle now. If not, build what you want and order it. I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle from Texas; I think the second one is.
why not?

jzinckgra

Reaction score

It does not as there is no auto start/stop

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't let the loud exhaust deter you. I had a similar situation years ago when I bought a used Tundra. I drove the truck for about a week to see if I could live with it. After I decided I couldn't, I put an ad on Craigslist looking to trade my $1000 aftermarket exhaust for a low mile stock exhaust. The Tundra also had a CAI that was obnoxiously loud, so I traded that for the stock intake...same guy traded with me for both. We met at an exhaust shop and had them swapped. I think it cost $150, so we split the cost.

I'd get the 2021. It's Laramie, not Laromie by the way. 🙄

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Don't let the loud exhaust deter you. I had a similar situation years ago when I bought a used Tundra. I drove the truck for about a week to see if I could live with it. After I decided I couldn't, I put an ad on Craigslist looking to trade my $1000 aftermarket exhaust for a low mile stock exhaust. The Tundra also had a CAI that was obnoxiously loud, so I traded that for the stock intake...same guy traded with me for both. We met at an exhaust shop and had them swapped. I think it cost $150, so we split the cost.

I'd get the 2021. It's Laramie, not Laromie by the way. 🙄
lol, whoops. The 2021 also has a CAI. The stock one with engine cover is in the bed of the truck

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I like the 2020 because it has the Off-Road Package. Flame red with all that chrome is quite visually stimulating; I like the Delmonico red better. Tough decision with the 2020 having more miles though.

BNJMN

Reaction score
Sun and sand seems to beat up the paint; but then again I live in Michigan and ours have all the winter salt and sand. Maybe sun and sand not a problem on such a new one.

jzinckgra

Reaction score

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
yeah the truck is in mint cond. Carfax showed it was only owned for 4 months before being sold to auction. Anyway, I did find one other used certified 2020 that is priced at $49,600. Delmonico red.
https://www.darlingschryslerdodgeau...Zip=04330&geoRadius=0&make=Ram&year=2020-2022
That one is etorque, if that matters to you. It's just amazing to me that a 2 year old truck with 24k miles costs as much as I paid for the loaded 2020 Laramie I bought new two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread