5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you still order 5.7 Without eTorque?

Ram19Va

Reaction score
After reading more about e-Torque I am now glad that I have it. A few extra mpg that really adds up, and I read the start/stop at a light is seamless and you can even spin tires. Not to mention the 48-volt system/battery provides more power than an alternator would, and it ends up being a good deal.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading more about e-Torque I am now glad that I have it. A few extra mpg that really adds up, and I read the start/stop at a light is seamless and you can even spin tires. Not to mention the 48-volt system/battery provides more power than an alternator would, and it ends up being a good deal.

I agree, I was dead set against the e-torque when I ordered my first truck. When I ordered my second because of the tow mirror fiasco I could only get the e-torque. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise! Especially since my second ordered e-torque truck came in first. I will get it tomorrow!

rvsixer

Reaction score
Anything that can't be disabled permanently or removed from the optional equipment is forced on the user. Having to go through the settings screen everytime you start the truck isn't disabling it. If it was optional, I would've gone with e-Torque.
It's a simple push of one button to enable/disable start/stop, no settings menu navigation required. If that one additional step is too much (in addition to the many other actions needed from the user each time the truck is driven), agree don't get e-torque.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. The start/stop disable is just to the lower left of the shifter so you could muscle memory hit it whenever you shift into reverse or drive.

I have hated start/stop on EVERY rental car (starter based) that's ever had it, but I took a chance on Ram based on the description of how smoothly it worked. The reviews have only reinforced that it's usable but if not, I can bump that "Captain America" button any time I need to.

Attachments

• shifter.JPG
    shifter.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 26

rvsixer

Reaction score
IMO they should have not called it a start/stop system, given that it's quite different and imo much better than "normal" start/stop systems (which I highly dislike). It's more a start augmentation system.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was poking around the JeepGarage site, they have a thread going on a product that makes your disable start/stop sticky through a restart. Not available for ram yet, but it plugs into the diagnostic port.

JohnC

Reaction score
I really don’t mind the start/ stop as it can be disabled. What I don’t like is having the 1st hybrid system in my truck. I’d rather have the true, tried, regular Hemi. Just my opinion. In any case my truck is in “I” status so expecting it in another month.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I agree, I was dead set against the e-torque when I ordered my first truck. When I ordered my second because of the tow mirror fiasco I could only get the e-torque. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise! Especially since my second ordered e-torque truck came in first. I will get it tomorrow!
Congrats!! Give us your thoughts on it once you get it please

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far so good on the e-torque! Got it home this evening. Didn’t drive it much yet. Spent a good bit of time setting everything how I want ( memory seats, display settings, garage door openers, putting stuff in the storage areas, exc.) I will do a follow up after I have driven it a week or so. I will be pulling trailer in a few days to haul some livestock. Been thinking about doing a little comparison between the new Ram and my ‘17 Expedition 3.5 eco boost pulling the trailer. It’s not a F-150 but it might be fun to compare! I will let you know how that goes in a few days. Also, I have already ordered some “extras”. By this time next week they should all be installed. This includes a 3 1/2” lift with 35” tires. I will post pics when it is done and itemize the exact accessories then. I will obviously do the trailer pull comparison before it is lifted to get a more apples to apples comparison. I know it would be smart to wait on the accessories to make sure everything is ok with the truck but I used up all my patience waiting for it to get here, I have none left to wait to fix it up! Until then, here is a couple ‘finally got it home pics!’(y):p

Attachments

• 145C9B6A-FA44-4AF9-B9CC-D34387413519.jpeg
    145C9B6A-FA44-4AF9-B9CC-D34387413519.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • A7A09CA9-1BB3-4A13-BC82-5AF2731B24FD.jpeg
    A7A09CA9-1BB3-4A13-BC82-5AF2731B24FD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

JohnC

Reaction score
Is that the patriot blue? That’s what I ordered. I ordered the off road pkg which is listed as having a 1” additional lift. I also want to get 35” tires. I’m anxious to play with the 12” NAV and sound system.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that the patriot blue? That’s what I ordered. I ordered the off road pkg which is listed as having a 1” additional lift. I also want to get 35” tires. I’m anxious to play with the 12” NAV and sound system.

Yes, patriot blue with walnut brown two tone, looks almost black in the shade and looks like the picture in direct sun light.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Yes, patriot blue with walnut brown two tone, looks almost black in the shade and looks like the picture in direct sun light.
I'm not 100% sold on the two tone, but man, that blue is beautiful!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So far so good on the e-torque! Got it home this evening. Didn’t drive it much yet. Spent a good bit of time setting everything how I want ( memory seats, display settings, garage door openers, putting stuff in the storage areas, exc.) I will do a follow up after I have driven it a week or so. I will be pulling trailer in a few days to haul some livestock. Been thinking about doing a little comparison between the new Ram and my ‘17 Expedition 3.5 eco boost pulling the trailer. It’s not a F-150 but it might be fun to compare! I will let you know how that goes in a few days. Also, I have already ordered some “extras”. By this time next week they should all be installed. This includes a 3 1/2” lift with 35” tires. I will post pics when it is done and itemize the exact accessories then. I will obviously do the trailer pull comparison before it is lifted to get a more apples to apples comparison. I know it would be smart to wait on the accessories to make sure everything is ok with the truck but I used up all my patience waiting for it to get here, I have none left to wait to fix it up! Until then, here is a couple ‘finally got it home pics!’(y):p
Can't wait to hear how it pulls.

Sounds like your already great looking truck is gonna look even better.

The 5th Gen really takes well to lift and bigger tires.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The off road non air package easily fits 34s and with the 2 inch Mopar lift the 5th Gen easily fits 35s
20180715_125402.jpg
2018-07-14 21.50.11.jpg

JohnC

Reaction score
Ordered my 2019 Laramie on 06/22. In status “I” as of 07/16/18. Hopefully just a few more weeks.

D

Deleted member 85

Anything that can't be disabled permanently or removed from the optional equipment is forced on the user. Having to go through the settings screen everytime you start the truck isn't disabling it. If it was optional, I would've gone with e-Torque.
There are currently many products on the market that can be installed to program a vehicle to permanently shut-off start/stop, among other features. It won't be long before the 19' Rams also have such a product available.

JohnC

Reaction score
Thinking about switching tires out to something a little beefier when it comes in. I’ll have 20” rims. Has anyone put 35” tires on their new truck?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thinking about switching tires out to something a little beefier when it comes in. I’ll have 20” rims. Has anyone put 35” tires on their new truck?

Yes sir, I have a 3 1/2” Rough Country lift with 20 x 9” Mayhem 8103 wheels and 35x12.5 AMP all terrain tires. Still had to trim some of the lower rear plastic inside the front fender well so the tires would not rub while turning. Also these wheels are a 0 offset, I believe factory wheels are +17 or +18. Drives surprisingly well. Here are a few before and after pics. More info in my thread “All Fixed Up!” in the 5th gen mods/accessories section.

Attachments

• F922FDC6-CE2C-4573-933F-DA486C7231A6.jpeg
    F922FDC6-CE2C-4573-933F-DA486C7231A6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 34CFF562-BF6E-4B94-B880-0C9BE783CBF6.jpeg
    34CFF562-BF6E-4B94-B880-0C9BE783CBF6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 2489BBCE-CB76-4A1E-A2D5-F33691C61773.jpeg
    2489BBCE-CB76-4A1E-A2D5-F33691C61773.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 101A7744-78A4-4BD3-BC55-53E8FCAEA3B5.jpeg
    101A7744-78A4-4BD3-BC55-53E8FCAEA3B5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 8B7A7883-85C4-4AE4-89EA-6235E5D583AD.jpeg
    8B7A7883-85C4-4AE4-89EA-6235E5D583AD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

JohnC

Reaction score
Those look great. I got the off road pkg which is supposed to give me a 1” lift. Not sure if it’s a body lift or suspension but I’m thinkIng suspension because the off road pkg comes with HD suspension. 275s are puny. My Jeep has 315s (35”) tires and it looks great. I really don’t want to trim anything just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread