5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we change fuse positions in the fuse box for an accessory? - USB is always on.

PokerPlayer77

Reaction score
2022 Dodge RAM 1500 Classic SLT

Center console has 2 USB ports that are always on. (I read somewhere that they shut off after an hour or two, but mine don't. Had a USB accessory plugged in for 2 days without driving and killed the battery).

Can I jump it's fuse location to another circuit that's switched so the USB power cuts off when the vehicle is shut off.
If so, how? Is there a video that shows someone doing this?

There's no setting in uConnect 4 to allow me to adjust power settings either.

Thank you!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No. And it only stays on for an hour after the vehicle shutoff.

PokerPlayer77

Reaction score
How can you be sure? I've had something plugged into mine for 2 years and never had it drain the battery.

New truck, new battery. Bought the Motorola MA1 USB Dongle that allows me to connect to android auto wirelessly. Got Covid and didn't drive the truck for 2 days. Went to start it and the battery was dead.

Read about this and someone said that the USB ports shut down after 60 minutes. I left the dongle plugged in with the center console open and locked the doors. Went down a few hours later to check and the dongle was still on.

Someone else also said his stayed on also.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By check, did you touch the door handle or just peek through the window? If I touch the sensor in the door handle, it turns the electronics on.

PokerPlayer77

Reaction score
By check, did you touch the door handle or just peek through the window? If I touch the sensor in the door handle, it turns the electronics on.

I could see it through the window. I also don't have a sensor in the door handle, but if I do I didn't touch the handle lol :(

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's the dongle I've had plugged in too. My truck sat for 5 days at the parking garage while I was on vacation several times and starts right up every time. Something else is keeping it on. Are your keys kept too close?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I just noticed you have a classic and this is the 5th Gen Rams forum. I don't know how the Classics work, but that's how the 5th Gen works. Might want to post in a 4th Gen forum.

PokerPlayer77

Reaction score
That's the dongle I've had plugged in too. My truck sat for 5 days at the parking garage while I was on vacation several times and starts right up every time. Something else is keeping it on. Are your keys kept too close?

I do have an aftermarket remote starter that was installed since I can't see my vehicle from where I live and needed one that would work through the remote starter's cellular connection. I wonder if the shop did something weird causing the ports to stay on.

May have to take it back in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New truck, new battery. Bought the Motorola MA1 USB Dongle that allows me to connect to android auto wirelessly. Got Covid and didn't drive the truck for 2 days. Went to start it and the battery was dead.

Read about this and someone said that the USB ports shut down after 60 minutes. I left the dongle plugged in with the center console open and locked the doors. Went down a few hours later to check and the dongle was still on.

If it's a 5th gen, and not a Classic, the system has a safeguard to turn off accessories when battery dips below a certain level to prevent draining the battery. Not sure if 4th gens are the same. If that didn't happen then you should take truck in to dealer to get checked under warranty

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I did a bunch of testing on the media hub usb ports because I had a battery drainage issue before, and at the same time was keeping my spare android device plugged in all the time (ultimately turned out to be something else).

Anyway, I kept hearing the same thing from people- it shuts off after an hour. So, there’s two different things going on with the usb media hub, and it’s exactly the same whether it’s a 4th or 5th Gen, or UC4 or UC5.
The ports themselves are always powered straight from the battery via the fuse box. The media hub is also fed with a usb cable from the radio, and the radio is also powered straight from the battery. When a phone is plugged in, it is the usb cable from the radio that is charging the phone and transferring data, and it’s the radio itself that is stopping this after an hour of the truck being shut off. When I plugged in a usb test light, it stays on indefinitely, because it is being powered through the usb port via the battery power supply.
I’m not sure how the Motorola device is powered, but even if it is constantly powered, it shouldn’t draw enough to kill a healthy battery in 2 days.
The remote start system and it’s cell device are going to be tied into the canbus system, so if there is some issue with that, it might be keeping other modules on the bus awake, and that could drain a battery pretty quick, sometimes over night depending on battery health.
If you stand by your truck without the fob for a few minutes, does the cluster come on or radio backlight come on and go off every minute or so?
E2461351-902A-4246-A206-85CDE5CD7A58.jpeg

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i have the same issue with the ma1 android auto wireless adapter killing my battery. i have tried the front and rear media port. seems both stay on.

BNeal

Reaction score
I have the same adapter plugged in 24/7 and have never had problems even when sitting for extended periods of time. Strange that some are affected yet others aren't.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
im going to test my usb ports and see if they are turning off.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Has it been verified if the USB power is related to the always on fuse slot for the 12 volt socket? Pic stolen from this thread

1667916403272.png

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has it been verified if the USB power is related to the always on fuse slot for the 12 volt socket? Pic stolen from this thread

View attachment 143282
No, the selectable fuse is only for the 12v outlet on top of the radio.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i have the same issue with the ma1 android auto wireless adapter killing my battery. i have tried the front and rear media port. seems both stay on.
Have you verified not having it plugged in, and battery stays charged for multiple days of not driving?

Users who are viewing this thread