5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we change fuse positions in the fuse box for an accessory? - USB is always on.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s possible to pull the fuse and run a jumper wire from a known switched fuse to the usb hub’s fuse location. You’ll have to make sure you jumper the power to the unpowered side of the circuit in tue fuse box but should work.

My usb also powers down after the truck has been shut off for a while, my 2020 was the same.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i want to verify that the usb port is staying on 1st.
I mean, if you are going to blame the device on causing the drain, then verifying the battery doesn't drain without it plugged in should be the first step. There are many people who leave USB devices okugge in all the time with no issues.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 4th gen ram's but my 21 5th gen I was able to move a fuse to make the cigarette lighter port shut off when the truck shuts off. I use that outlet for my phone mount charger. I don't know when power gets turned off but all the other 8 million USB ports in the truck stay powered when I shut the truck off.

With that said, I have seen customers vehicles with dead batteries and blown fuses due to cheap gas station chargers that easily get shorted out causing the battery to drain or pop the fuse

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i want to verify that the usb port is staying on 1st.
I have the Motorola device and my truck has sat several times for 5 days or more with it plugged in. It isn't the device.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
I mean, if you are going to blame the device on causing the drain, then verifying the battery doesn't drain without it plugged in should be the first step. There are many people who leave USB devices okugge in all the time with no issues.
umm thats why you check the usb port 1st.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
umm thats why you check the usb port 1st.
Simply unplugging the device being questions is how you troubleshoot whether it's the issue or not. Have you ever heard of the KISS method?

If you think an appliance plugged into an electrical outlet in your house is tripping the breaker you don't test the outlet first, you unplug the appliance and see if the breaker stays on. Same thing here. Unplug device from USB port and see if the problem persists. If it does, then the device isn't the issue. If problem goes away, then you know the device is causing problems. No need to overcomplicate things.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
this is comical to me because you obviously dont know how a media port works that is controlled by the canbus system. i am a 30yr journeyman electrician and know a little about how this works lol. if the usb port is staying on the canbus system is not going to sleep, then its a canbus issue.

fredrk123

Reaction score
this is comical to me because you obviously dont know how a media port works that is controlled by the canbus system. i am a 30yr journeyman electrician and know a little about how this works lol. if the usb port is staying on the canbus system is not going to sleep, then its a canbus issue.
the dealership put a new media usb port in my 2019 ram truck but they put it in and guessing it was the problem for my draining battery. They've had my truck for 5 days and all of that troubleshooting and they put in a usb port as last resort.

Users who are viewing this thread