5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the hemi run on e15?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Wow, apparently some people get really riled up about a ~2% loss in energy content vs E10 (which is what most gas in the USA is nowadays anyway).

I will fit into the stereotype and also announce I'm an engineer. I run E15 in my truck 95% of the time since it's cheaper than regular 87 octane AND has a higher octane rating. It's fine. Is there a small fuel economy hit? Sure. Do I actually notice it? No.
What's the one thing you can spend but never buy?

Riled up is a bit of a misconception, 2% loss of energy for 2% reduced cost of fuel seems like a lot of steps for me to accomplish a whole lot of nothing....and the price will still go up, anyhow.

It will (slightly) reduce your vehicle's performance, it will (slightly) reduce the overall range, it will (slightly) do more harm than good in your fuel system, it will (slightly) make your catalytic converter work less efficiently, and it will (slightly) increase the amount of time you spend driving to the gas station and pumping fuel. We also know that ethanol fuel goes bad faster and sucks for lawn equipment. You're lucky if E10 will last 3 months in a can without additives, and since I'm a Floridian, I like to stock up on fuel during hurricane season.

I'll spend the extra 10c on E10, thank you very much, and I would be happy if E0 was still an affordable option....and like I said, E0 isn't expensive because it contains no ethanol, it's expensive because it's produced in small quantities, mostly for Marine equipment.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But in the real world, used in our trucks, and proven by several members in this forum….

dceb9a0c5f6325a98178275f328f22c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's the one thing you can spend but never buy?

Riled up is a bit of a misconception, 2% loss of energy for 2% reduced cost of fuel seems like a lot of steps for me to accomplish a whole lot of nothing....and the price will still go up, anyhow.

It will (slightly) reduce your vehicle's performance, it will (slightly) reduce the overall range, it will (slightly) do more harm than good in your fuel system, it will (slightly) make your catalytic converter work less efficiently, and it will (slightly) increase the amount of time you spend driving to the gas station and pumping fuel. We also know that ethanol fuel goes bad faster and sucks for lawn equipment. You're lucky if E10 will last 3 months in a can without additives, and since I'm a Floridian, I like to stock up on fuel during hurricane season.

I'll spend the extra 10c on E10, thank you very much, and I would be happy if E0 was still an affordable option....and like I said, E0 isn't expensive because it contains no ethanol, it's expensive because it's produced in small quantities, mostly for Marine equipment.
Non-ethanol fuel is pretty easy to find around me. About half the gas stations carry either 87 or 91 non-ethanol. You pay a little more for them because they don't get the same subsidies as ethanol blends.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That’s crazy your normal fuel prices are that low especially diesel. It’s still close to $6 a gal here.

But since your supposed to really run 89 that’s the price I’d compare it too.

89 currently $4.56, 88 currently $3.86. That’s $16 less a fill up in my 23gal tank. Even if it did hurt mpg (which it doesn’t) it would have to hurt it pretty damn bad to change that cost to mpg ratio.

Or if you’re of the mindset you want to run 87. 87 is $4.16 putting it at $7 less a fill up.

$7 can buy me a some red bulls or a could pounders!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s crazy your normal fuel prices are that low especially diesel. It’s still close to $6 a gal here.

89 currently $4.56, 88 currently $3.86. That’s $16 less a fill up in my 23gal tank. Even if it did hurt mpg (which it doesn’t) it would have to hurt it pretty damn bad to change that cost to mpg ratio.

Or if you’re of the mindset you want to run 87. 87 is $4.16 putting it at $7 less a fill up.

Price difference depends on where you live. Some places there isn't as much of a difference between grades as others. Here in Omaha, Be, there's not enough difference in price to really make it worth while. And I'd rather run e10 87 over e15 88 if those were only options. But since I have the Pulsar in my truck, it's 91+ for me no matter what. And luckily it's easy to find non-ethanol 91.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
But in the real world, used in our trucks, and proven by several members in this forum….
Wrong about what?

Wrong about It being usable?
Our trucks have been greenlit for E15 since 2015(ish). It's plenty usable, just like a Flex-Fuel vehicle can take E85.
Just like E85, most Flex-Fuel owners wont put E85 in their tank because the math puts E85 at a disadvantage (Usually...different parts of the country have different prices).

Wrong about mileage/power?
I'm sure your butt-dyno is calibrated like a piano's tuner at Carnegie Hall, and besides, my own range varies more than 10% from week-to-week, depending on traffic and my mood. I'm sure you have absolutely no idea how much power/range you're gaining/losing between E10 and E15. I'm reiterating, it's pretty small, but still large enough that most people in most areas of the country wouldn't justify putting it in their tanks, myself included.
If you can't take my word for it, go to a Dyno, or track each fuel type for a year and see how it averages out. I'm not going to debate physics and how much chemical energy it takes to do a specific amount of work.

Looking below, it seems that Unleaded 88 is a good deal at your particular station. Perhaps it's worth it, perhaps I would use it if I were in your town. It's all about (sacrifices : gains) and if you're gaining 7% in cost savings for 2.5% range loss over 87, you're still coming out ahead.....For most people in most parts of the country E15 isn't going to work out that way.

Just 1 or 2 extra trips out to the gas station every year is exhausting. I try to get gas at 6am on my way to work, but it doesn't always work out. I have 1 gas station that's perfectly aligned with my 20-minute work route: Sam's. Well, yesterday, my timing didn't work out. I was at 0mi range, so I ended up in a 30-minute wait for gas....mostly behind people who NEEDED to top off an extra 3-gallons in their Kias, for a grand total of 33c saved and 30-min spent. In other words, FU^K GOING TO THE GAS STATION MORE THAN I HAVE TO!!!

It’s half that around here, only $0.05/gal

View attachment 126934
This is a good example. For this situation, that's 0.5% savings for a 2.5% loss.

In my area,
E0 is ~$4.30 (rough guess based on the Gasbuddy figure at Sunoco)
E10 is $3.84
E15 is $3.89 (only 2 stations in 10 miles)
E85 is $3.74 (only 1 station in 25 miles, Thorntons)

For now, E10 is the best deal.
E0 isn't worth a 11% cost for a 5% mileage gain.
E15 is actually backwards expensive, at the moment.
E85 isn't worth a 2% savings for a 20% mileage loss.

Non-ethanol fuel is pretty easy to find around me. About half the gas stations carry either 87 or 91 non-ethanol. You pay a little more for them because they don't get the same subsidies as ethanol blends.
I'm in the Tampa area, so I'm right near the water and near a major port. Overall, gas is cheaper in my area and E0 is pretty easy to find near all the marinas....but you mentioned something I completely forgot: subsidies. E0 is prohibitively expensive, unless you absolutely need to use it.

As above, your station seems to work out. Unl88 seems significantly cheaper than the alternatives.
I'd probably consider it if I was in your shoes. Of course, since gas prices are pretty volatile, that could change day-to-day.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
E15 is $0.30/gal less than normal E10 87 octane here at Sheetz. I just tried it in my Ram. I have not run the tank down to do a full fill on 88 yet but I will see.

I got a full fill now on my 2004 Lincoln 4.6 V8 and it does not seem to like it. I noticed a lot of pinging. I will add back E10 each trip to keep topping up the tank and diluting it back to regular.

That said, the old Linc is not an advanced system so it may not compensate enough. I have yet to tell in the Ram.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
E15 is $0.30/gal less than normal E10 87 octane here at Sheetz. I just tried it in my Ram. I have not run the tank down to do a full fill on 88 yet but I will see.

I got a full fill now on my 2004 Lincoln 4.6 V8 and it does not seem to like it. I noticed a lot of pinging. I will add back E10 each trip to keep topping up the tank and diluting it back to regular.

That said, the old Linc is not an advanced system so it may not compensate enough. I have yet to tell in the Ram.
Is the Lincoln equipped with flex-fuel? They had regular and flex-fuel options back then.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Is the Lincoln equipped with flex-fuel? They had regular and flex-fuel options back then.
No, it is not. I had a Crown Vic that was once but the old cop car was a bit to spartan so I sold it and got the Town Car.

The Linc is my toy. It is upgraded with a larger MAF and intake from a Marauder and a custom tune for that and a lot of other mods. I could get another tune that would tweak it but the car does not have the flexibility itself.

Now I want to build a 5.4 to cram in it. I think I can get more bottom end to get the big thing moving quicker. Always have to tinker. It's why I got rid of the Jeep. They have endless mods available and an idiot can end up with a Jeep that costs 3 times what it's worth.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, it is not. I had a Crown Vic that was once but the old cop car was a bit to spartan so I sold it and got the Town Car.

The Linc is my toy. It is upgraded with a larger MAF and intake from a Marauder and a custom tune for that and a lot of other mods. I could get another tune that would tweak it but the car does not have the flexibility itself.

Now I want to build a 5.4 to cram in it. I think I can get more bottom end to get the big thing moving quicker. Always have to tinker. It's why I got rid of the Jeep. They have endless mods available and an idiot can end up with a Jeep that costs 3 times what it's worth.
That can happen with any car. Maybe not worth 3 times what you paid, but definitely 3x more money spent on mods.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Per the owners manual for that car it doesn’t mention even 10% e. So I’m sure the engine isn’t liking the 15%
6a1690228f778d7f36716fc237be3088.png

My 2020 outback owners manual also says not to run 15%.

But our trucks say we can! Always worth reading.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Per the owners manual for that car it doesn’t mention even 10% e. So I’m sure the engine isn’t liking the 15%
6a1690228f778d7f36716fc237be3088.png

My 2020 outback owners manual also says not to run 15%.

But our trucks say we can! Always worth reading.

Yea, don't know if they had e15 back then! I just gave it a shot. No harm.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You drink up sweetie.

2d7c71fb1273717f1e6a8c53e23b0b0d.png

Fellow PA and Sheetz filler-upper! When you first filled with 88, did you need to run the tank dry or does it not matter? I’m gonna give it a shot here at the end of the week when I need to fill up again.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow PA and Sheetz filler-upper! When you first filled with 88, did you need to run the tank dry or does it not matter? I’m gonna give it a shot here at the end of the week when I need to fill up again.
Just add it when your ready. If you are trying to get a MPG or performance statistic. It is gonna take a few tank fulls anyways to get a reliable number.

Made it to the campground again on E15 OCT 88. Truck really likes it. And the money saved bought the boy and I snacks. 20220423_202009_HDR.jpg

In the discussion on another site, political,environmental, agricultural defenders/attackers are arguing about it. When 3 people are arguing the same thing but have 3 different answers...it is hard to follow.

So, my truck will continue to get a solid diet of E15 OCT 88

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Sounds to me like most arguing here shouldn’t have bought a V8 1/2 ton truck. I’ll run 91 octane e0, e10, or e15, whatever is available. The Hemi, like most V8’s, seems to like the higher octane. If I was so concerned about MPG and cost of fuel, I wouldn’t have bought a V8 without auto stop/start, disable the MDS before I fasten my seatbelt, and not worry about gas until the needle drops below 1/4 tank.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Sounds to me like most arguing here shouldn’t have bought a V8 1/2 ton truck. I’ll run 91 octane e0, e10, or e15, whatever is available. The Hemi, like most V8’s, seems to like the higher octane. If I was so concerned about MPG and cost of fuel, I wouldn’t have bought a V8 without auto stop/start, disable the MDS before I fasten my seatbelt, and not worry about gas until the needle drops below 1/4 tank.
Main reason I got the EcoDiesel and the extended tank. I might even add a bed tank on top of that.

Now, if I was REALLY concerned about fuel economy, I'd just get a second-hand Prius or Leaf for commuting, only use my trucks on days I need them. I'm not at the point of doing that, I typically need one of my trucks on a regular basis, so I probably wouldn't even use a fuel efficient car enough to justify the purchase. I need a truck and fuel economy be damned. On a lighter note, however, I chose the EcoDiesel BECAUSE it's the most fuel efficient truck on the market, and the biggest tank possible, giving me the most range. Range is very important to me.

When I sit here and debate about fuel prices and different grades and ethanol content. It's not just about squeezing every dime out of every drop of gas/diesel. Spending TIME at a gas station is something I can't earn back. One thing I HATE about fuel efficient cars is that they're often pared with a tiny tank. Even though I'm burning less gas, I'm still at the pump just as often, if not more often, because that silly little 10-gal **** bottle keeps me going back to the pump every single week.

I put this in my Frontier to decrease how much I need to stop at the pump and it's incredible. Both tanks last me almost a month:
JCBmlwr.jpg

Even better, it protects me from gas price fluctuations. I ended up filling both tanks the day before Russia invaded Ukraine. Gas was $3.16 and in the coming weeks, prices shot up to about $5.00. Well, I sipped along on those tanks for nearly a month and by the time I ran both tanks dry, the price of gas fell to $3.99, plus my typical 10c discount. I avoided most of that **** show simply because I had the reserve capacity.

In the end, the LAST thing I want is to go to the pump more often than I have to. I don't care if it costs me a little more, I fukkin hate having to price out stations, check for rebates, add the stop to my commute, and/or wait in line behind other slow folk. My time is more important than saving $1.50 on a fill-up. My Frontier can take 39-gal on a single stop and that lasts me nearly a month. I'm hoping the EcoDiesel can stretch me even further.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Main reason I got the EcoDiesel and the extended tank. I might even add a bed tank on top of that.

Now, if I was REALLY concerned about fuel economy, I'd just get a second-hand Prius or Leaf for commuting, only use my trucks on days I need them. I'm not at the point of doing that, I typically need one of my trucks on a regular basis, so I probably wouldn't even use a fuel efficient car enough to justify the purchase. I need a truck and fuel economy be damned. On a lighter note, however, I chose the EcoDiesel BECAUSE it's the most fuel efficient truck on the market, and the biggest tank possible, giving me the most range. Range is very important to me.

When I sit here and debate about fuel prices and different grades and ethanol content. It's not just about squeezing every dime out of every drop of gas/diesel. Spending TIME at a gas station is something I can't earn back. One thing I HATE about fuel efficient cars is that they're often pared with a tiny tank. Even though I'm burning less gas, I'm still at the pump just as often, if not more often, because that silly little 10-gal **** bottle keeps me going back to the pump every single week.

I put this in my Frontier to decrease how much I need to stop at the pump and it's incredible. Both tanks last me almost a month:

Even better, it protects me from gas price fluctuations. I ended up filling both tanks the day before Russia invaded Ukraine. Gas was $3.16 and in the coming weeks, prices shot up to about $5.00. Well, I sipped along on those tanks for nearly a month and by the time I ran both tanks dry, the price of gas fell to $3.99, plus my typical 10c discount. I avoided most of that **** show simply because I had the reserve capacity.

In the end, the LAST thing I want is to go to the pump more often than I have to. I don't care if it costs me a little more, I fukkin hate having to price out stations, check for rebates, add the stop to my commute, and/or wait in line behind other slow folk. My time is more important than saving $1.50 on a fill-up. My Frontier can take 39-gal on a single stop and that lasts me nearly a month. I'm hoping the EcoDiesel can stretch me even further.
Unless your Frontier is diesel powered, I believe what you did is not only illegal, but dangerous.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

JCBmlwr.jpg

Other than the time it takes to drive into/out of the gas station and pay with Google Pay (maybe a minute or so) you aren't saving any time with a bigger tank. Better mpg's will definitely save you trips to the gas station.

Driving past gas stations all week or using Gas Buddy, I can easily determine the cheapest prices without much effort. I haven't sat in line waiting to fill up for gas for so long, it's just not a consideration.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Unless your Frontier is diesel powered, I believe what you did is not only illegal, but dangerous.
I've checked all local and federal laws. It's a marine tank approved for gasoline storage, it's not directly plumbed or wired, It is DOT approved to hold 3psi and can be filled to the 18-gal mark, it can be removed without the use of any tools. In other words, it's the equivalent having a gas can in the back.

What would be illegal is if it were plumbed to a gravity or electronic pump. I manually transfer it, but I will often do it in my driveway or on a pee break. Dangerous is debatable, you're permitted to carry gasoline in a DOT-approved container.

And yes, with Diesel, there is a lot more freedom. Titan Tanks makes an electronic transfer kit that works while you drive.

Other than the time it takes to drive into/out of the gas station and pay with Google Pay (maybe a minute or so) you aren't saving any time with a bigger tank. Better mpg's will definitely save you trips to the gas station.

Driving past gas stations all week or using Gas Buddy, I can easily determine the cheapest prices without much effort. I haven't sat in line waiting to fill up for gas for so long, it's just not a consideration.
Better MPGs definitely save you trips....however many car companies commit the sin of pairing fuel-efficient cars with smaller tanks.

A 26.0-gal F150 that gets 15mpg will have a 390mi range
A 10.1-gal Honda fit that gets 36mpg will get 364mi range.

I mostly save time by not making unnecessary drives, detours, or pit stops to actually get out to the gas station. Unfortunately, I often have to back-track to the gas station because I pass it at 5:30am when it's closed. I either have to come back later, or hit it up on my drive home, when there's a wait.

Users who are viewing this thread