5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new 2023 Rebel 5.7 Etorq terrible gas mileage.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True. I also get terrible mpg if it’s windy outside, is I remote start the truck, or if we run a lot of errands where the truck sits like a lot. I would say I lose .1 mpg for every 5 minutes of idle sitting.

If I only drove to and from work at 55 mph I would be making 23 mpg.
exactly....

since nov 25th i didnt drove my ram(because my injury) but i remote start it once a week... cant imagine whats my mpg right now in the dash lol
my ram app says i have over half the tank available with a estimated range of 7 miles ahahaha so the remote start is killing the mpg
Screenshot_20230108_183145_Ram.jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
exactly....

since nov 25th i didnt drove my ram(because my injury) but i remote start it once a week... cant imagine whats my mpg right now in the dash lol
my ram app says i have over half the tank available with a estimated range of 7 miles ahahaha so the remote start is killing the mpg
View attachment 148306

Why are you starting it once a week? I let my truck sit for 6-8 weeks after my back surgery.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why are you starting it once a week? I let my truck sit for 6-8 weeks after my back surgery.
because i miss it ahahahah so i start it to hear it a little , i only had the chance to use it for 1 1/2month since i got it

no real reason behind that, just being a little boy :)

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Did the OP ever even give details on his truck?

Nope, the op posted only 1 time on the 5th gen ram forum so far, plus we dont know were he live to know the outside temp, winter gas or not etc..
Mention gas milage once is all you need to do. You can ghost after that because the experts get drawn in like a zombie horde to an air raid siren.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I figured someone named FastWillie, complaining about bad mpg's, was going to be a drive by, one-post wonder. :LOL:

LGB24

Reaction score
LOL @ gas mileage complaints.

1. I had a Tacoma that got about the same gas mileage as Ram markets for the Rebel, but even if the fuel economy is worse, I'd rather have a bada** truck.
2. The difference over the course of the year between 15 mpg and 22 mpg is what? $500? If $500 is a big deal, probably shouldn't buy a truck that starts at over 50K.
3. One-post wonder FastWillie probably voted for Sloppy Joe. His problem isn't with the truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
LOL @ gas mileage complaints.

1. I had a Tacoma that got about the same gas mileage as Ram markets for the Rebel, but even if the fuel economy is worse, I'd rather have a bada** truck.
2. The difference over the course of the year between 15 mpg and 22 mpg is what? $500? If $500 is a big deal, probably shouldn't buy a truck that starts at over 50K.
3. One-post wonder FastWillie probably voted for Sloppy Joe. His problem isn't with the truck.
I don't see a place for politics in this thread

Just to be devils advocate.

Assuming 15k miles a year which is pretty average 15-22 mpg is a difference of almost 400 gallons a year.
Assuming you pay $3.00 for gas it's a difference of $950 a year.
Over the course of 10 years that will be around $10k in the increase of gas alone.

This is also assuming his problem is with the price.

If the OP wants to tow, his millage obviously gets worse towing, but if it starts out so bad it would get even worse towing and compound not only the cost of gas, but the amount of times he needs to fill up over a trip which could cause other problems depending on what they planned on doing. Although mpg while towing is not advertised so I don't think it's fair if that was his problem.

Really comes down to false advertising and expectations.
If you bought a 5.7 HEMI and it came with a 3.6 v6 would you be happy shutting up because it's still a truck with less power? Probably not.
If OP bought the truck and expected some stats in writing and posted on the truck and it's nowhere close 🤷‍♂️

I knew my truck would get bad mpg. I don't get anywhere near sticker. But I also came into this essentially caring almost 0 about mpg. With expectations low there's almost nothing to disappoint. I wish I got more MPG, but I also don't wish I drove a Tesla
The extra 15-25k strayed me away from the TRX, knowing I would get around 5-8 MPG less with it just compounding the problem.

And no before you say it, I didn't vote for Joe.

BowDown

Reaction score
I really wonder if, how some actually drive vs how they think they drive isn't the bigger determiner of their mileage. I think it is.
3-3500 rpm shift points isn't going to net you the best mileage

Dewey

Reaction score
If we all didn’t care one bit about gas mileage I’m pretty sure we all would have spent a little more and just ordered a TRX.

LGB24

Reaction score
If we all didn’t care one bit about gas mileage I’m pretty sure we all would have spent a little more and just ordered a TRX.
I didn’t get the TRX because I wanted the Ramboxes, which you can’t get on the TRX; I work in DC, and the width is too much in my office garage; and who in the world wants 10mpg AND premium gas?!?!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see a place for politics in this thread

Just to be devils advocate.

Assuming 15k miles a year which is pretty average 15-22 mpg is a difference of almost 400 gallons a year.
Assuming you pay $3.00 for gas it's a difference of $950 a year.
Over the course of 10 years that will be around $10k in the increase of gas alone.

This is also assuming his problem is with the price.

If the OP wants to tow, his millage obviously gets worse towing, but if it starts out so bad it would get even worse towing and compound not only the cost of gas, but the amount of times he needs to fill up over a trip which could cause other problems depending on what they planned on doing. Although mpg while towing is not advertised so I don't think it's fair if that was his problem.

Really comes down to false advertising and expectations.
If you bought a 5.7 HEMI and it came with a 3.6 v6 would you be happy shutting up because it's still a truck with less power? Probably not.
If OP bought the truck and expected some stats in writing and posted on the truck and it's nowhere close 🤷‍♂️

I knew my truck would get bad mpg. I don't get anywhere near sticker. But I also came into this essentially caring almost 0 about mpg. With expectations low there's almost nothing to disappoint. I wish I got more MPG, but I also don't wish I drove a Tesla
The extra 15-25k strayed me away from the TRX, knowing I would get around 5-8 MPG less with it just compounding the problem.

And no before you say it, I didn't vote for Joe.
The numbers on the sticker are epa estimated. So they were probably calculated in near perfect conditions anyway. Like I said, don’t remote start the truck for 20 minutes before driving. Turn it off when you go to the grocery store. Don’t dog it every time you take off. Etc etc. we’ve beat this horse many times

Dewey

Reaction score
I didn’t get the TRX because I wanted the Ramboxes, which you can’t get on the TRX; I work in DC, and the width is too much in my office garage; and who in the world wants 10mpg AND premium gas?!?!
Guys who say gas mileage doesn’t matter.😆

BowDown

Reaction score

I'd consider buying a street version of the TRX today if available and probably stupidly would. SRT-Limited or TRX-Limited would be awesome

BowDown

Reaction score

I want the best mileage I can get in a particular vehicle, in a TRX, my expectations regarding fuel mileage would be reduced but I'd still try to meet or exceed the estimate.

Thing is, when you don't have that kinda power, you think you'd use it all the time but those that have that kinda power don't and if you daily it, you especially wont.

Users who are viewing this thread