5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new 2023 Rebel 5.7 Etorq terrible gas mileage.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my 2020 HEMI Crew 4x4. 3.92 - I see about 12-13.5 on the norm and about 17-20 on the highway.

With my 2016 GMC 5.3, 2WD, 3.42 - I would see about 14.5-15 on the norm and about 21-24 on the highway.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
With my 2020 HEMI Crew 4x4. 3.92 - I see about 12-13.5 on the norm and about 17-20 on the highway.

With my 2016 GMC 5.3, 2WD, 3.42 - I would see about 14.5-15 on the norm and about 21-24 on the highway.
Well obviously that can't be true because Chevy (same as GMC) gets worse mpg then a Ram???

And as far as they saying they can test different trims etc, both the Ram and Chevy\GMC can come with a v6,but it looks like maybe Ram did their numbers on a v6 with 3.21s and Chevy\GMC did it on the v8 that was actually ordered (despite the v6 coming standard) The Limited build sheet states the v8 is standard, so I would expect that to be tested as a v6 is not available on the vehicle.

1672937050878.png

1672936696484.png

TSL

Reaction score
Smiles per miles...who cares about MPG. With that said I hover around 16 MPG with normal daily driving which is typically to and from work 5 days a week. Slightly worse in winter...slightly worse when I drive for smiles :)

On a separate note did something change with this site since the new year...it is flooded with ads now at the top of each page?
I use the Brave web browser on my desktop and DuckDuckGo on my Android phone. I almost never see ads ! ( the very odd one sneaks by the filters )
Here's what this webpage looks like in Brave :
1672939108624.png
Edit : I misspoke about DuckduckGo , I do see ads there, but not on Brave

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use the Brave web browser on my desktop and DuckDuckGo on my Android phone. I almost never see ads ! ( the very odd one sneaks by the filters )
Here's what this webpage looks like in Brave :
View attachment 147934
Edit : I misspoke about DuckduckGo , I do see ads there, but not on Brave

Reactions: TSL

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well obviously that can't be true because Chevy (same as GMC) gets worse mpg then a Ram???

And as far as they saying they can test different trims etc, both the Ram and Chevy\GMC can come with a v6,but it looks like maybe Ram did their numbers on a v6 with 3.21s and Chevy\GMC did it on the v8 that was actually ordered (despite the v6 coming standard) The Limited build sheet states the v8 is standard, so I would expect that to be tested as a v6 is not available on the vehicle.

View attachment 147932

View attachment 147931

My limited with 3.21s gets exactly what the window stickers said it would, 18 combined and 22-23 mpg on the highway at 70mph. City is usually 17.x mpg

20221019_170024.jpg

20210816_085549.jpg

Fuel mileage has been the same since day one 20200725_163801.jpg

Really depends on driving style IMO, I accelerate with the truck shifting about 2000 rpm, that still letse accelerate with traffic and not being last across the intersection

Attachments

• 20200725_163801.jpg
    20200725_163801.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 9

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Fuel mileage has been the same since day one
That's not normal...
My truck got 14mpg highway and around 12 city for the first 2500 miles

I find it very hard to believe our trucks engines can be so different from the factory, mine is a 22 vs your 20 but should be the same engine parts yes?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So many other variables, biggest one is your right foot. But things like elevation is huge, living in San Diego for example vs Jacksonville is night and day when it comes to flatness of roads. Hilly terrain will sap mpg in all kinds of scenarios.

But it's even less comparable if you guys aren't comparing spec to spec, like a Rebel with 33" vs a Laramie on street tires. Both window stickers say the same thing, but the law of physics says another.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So many other variables, biggest one is your right foot. But things like elevation is huge, living in San Diego for example vs Jacksonville is night and day when it comes to flatness of roads. Hilly terrain will sap mpg in all kinds of scenarios.

But it's even less comparable if you guys aren't comparing spec to spec, like a Rebel with 33" vs a Laramie on street tires. Both window stickers say the same thing, but the law of physics says another.
Rebels only come with AT tires right?

I know my Limited came with all seasons (highway tires).

I wonder why they are merging different model of vehicles into each other. I guess they claim "1500" is the model and "rebel" is the trim? At what point are they forced to call it a different model. By those standards a TRX is also a model "1500" but I think they get a differnet window sticker.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Rebels only come with AT tires right?

I know my Limited came with all seasons (highway tires).

I wonder why they are merging different model of vehicles into each other. I guess they claim "1500" is the model and "rebel" is the trim? At what point are they forced to call it a different model. By those standards a TRX is also a model "1500" but I think they get a differnet window sticker.

Specifically 33" Duratracs is the big mpg drain on the Rebel. Which are a rather heavy hybrid A/T & M/T combination tread. More aggressive than a typical A/T tire. The 33" size is part of the big issue, which is larger by 1" to the next largest tire package on 1500s, the 22" sport wheel/tire package, which usually measure out to 32". Both the larger size, weight and thread pattern is the big mpg suck on the Rebel.

Exactly correct on the trims, the 1500 is the model, and for the EPA, they just need one model to represent all the various trims. RAM choose a crewcab shortbed with a 3.21 and 18" street tires to do their EPA certifcation. After that, they could rubber stamp all trims within the model with the same EPA number.

But the EPA allows manufacturers to lower the number if they believe they should put an exception on that trim. Clearly RAM choose not to do that, while GM does with any trim that gets their Trail Boss package. Just note the Trail Boss isn't a trim, but a off-road package that could be added to any trim. And even with that, GM goes to the effort of lower the mpg on those trucks.

BowDown

Reaction score
That's not normal...

I find it very hard to believe our trucks engines can be so different from the factory, mine is a 22 vs your 20 but should be the same engine parts yes?
Been normal for 52K miles, both hand calc'd and using the fuel mileage computer. Neither are ever off from the other by more than a couple tenths
SD Rebel is correct, the biggest variable is how you drive the trucks, terrain and DA. In Houston, my mileage goes up easily 1-1.5 mpg over Dallas, this is after driving from Dallas to Houston and averaging 21-22 @ 70 MPH then once in Houston, it increases to 23.xx

Dewey

Reaction score
Been normal for 52K miles, both hand calc'd and using the fuel mileage computer. Neither are ever off from the other by more than a couple tenths
SD Rebel is correct, the biggest variable is how you drive the trucks, terrain and DA. In Houston, my mileage goes up easily 1-1.5 mpg over Dallas, this is after driving from Dallas to Houston and averaging 21-22 @ 70 MPH then once in Houston, it increases to 23.xx
Just noticed you have a 4x2. That definitely doesn’t hurt.

Loudram

Reaction score
That's not normal...
Mine is getting 14mpg avg with 2222 mi on the clock. Mostly suburban and back roads driving with some highway mixed in every so often. My last truck was the same way but I don't remember how many miles it took for the mpg to improve.

Scram1500

Reaction score

Specially when the Rebel has a 3.92 ratio and the Laramie is probably 3.21. Although I've had both ratios in similarly equipped trucks and got the same 16 mpg between the two on the same commute

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing low gas mileage? I took a road trip after buying my truck with 12 miles on it. Starting out it got 14.2 mpg on highway. On the return trip it got 15.1 mpg. Am I jumping the gun wondering why I'm not getting the 22mpg that Ram claims?
While it will get alittle better.. it won't be world changing. My trucks lifetime (hand calculated - Fuelly App) mileage is in the high 15's last I checked. That's mostly highway driving with a 40 mile, each way, commute. Throw in several long highway trips and a few thousand miles towing. Well below the unrealistic EPA rating on the window sticker.

Fuelly link should be in the sig below. I've tracked over 40k miles of fillups, which is almost all the 45k miles I have on the truck so far.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing low gas mileage? I took a road trip after buying my truck with 12 miles on it. Starting out it got 14.2 mpg on highway. On the return trip it got 15.1 mpg. Am I jumping the gun wondering why I'm not getting the 22mpg that Ram claims?
give it time to break in, it will improve a little

mine has about 2000 miles and for now it use more gas then my last 2014 ram with similar equipment and same gear

but its constantly improving a little

plus its winter, so dont know the temps were you live but that affects it, and also even if the temps are good, you might be running einter blend gas (without knowing it)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
imo
if you are worried about mileage don't get a truck.
I have no problem getting bad gas milege, buy lieint in paper isn't cool.
My 2012 Camaro with it's 6.2 drank a lot more then these Rams.
I was lucky to get 16mpg on the highway but it was close to the EPA ratings when I bought it.

People buying Rebels really should get a notice that their mpg would be nowhere that it claims before they buy it. Even I know large AT tires get very bad milage, but if it's written on the ticker that this truck which details out every part inside gets X, then I would except to get around X mpg.

penguinphan

Reaction score
I got 17.5 MPG on a 600 mile round trip from Phoenix to Vegas towing a 6x12 uHaul trailer with 1500 lbs of motorcycles at 70 mph. Usually I can get 23 or 24 mph at 75 mph for the same drive. 2020 Limited with ecoDiesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online