5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new 2023 Rebel 5.7 Etorq terrible gas mileage.

FastWillie

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing low gas mileage? I took a road trip after buying my truck with 12 miles on it. Starting out it got 14.2 mpg on highway. On the return trip it got 15.1 mpg. Am I jumping the gun wondering why I'm not getting the 22mpg that Ram claims?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I have gotten that mpg with my Rebel non Etorque in the summer but have never come close to it in the winter months .

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing low gas mileage? I took a road trip after buying my truck with 12 miles on it. Starting out it got 14.2 mpg on highway. On the return trip it got 15.1 mpg. Am I jumping the gun wondering why I'm not getting the 22mpg that Ram claims?

Nope, that's about right. You can maybe get a little more highway as your truck breaks-in. But the 22 mpg on the EPA sticker is actually based on a regular street tired RAM with 3.21 rear axle. The EPA allows the manufacturer to rubber stamp all mpg numbers to "like" vehicles within the model range. It's shady for sure, but it isn't illegal.

With the Rebels large 33" A/T tires, 3.92 rear axle, slightly higher ride height and no active aero, expect your mpg to be close to what you are getting now. I can get about 15-17 mpg on long highway drives, my city driving is around 12 mpg, my mixed driving is about 13.5 mpg.

That is based on normal driving. If I tried to hypermiling it a bit, take it really easy on the throttle to the point people behind me get upset, you can get close to the window sticker mpg, but that's type of driving isn't normal or fun.

Last edited:

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Mine will only get 22 MPG if I drive 40 MPH for a long time on a flat road with no stop lights. Essentially, it will never get 22 MPG under any realistic circumstance. It's a lifted truck with big tires, it's not going to get great mileage.

Here's what I get at various cruising speeds on the interestate:

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 4.46.51 PM.png

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Mine will only get 22 MPG if I drive 40 MPH for a long time on a flat road with no stop lights. Essentially, it will never get 22 MPG under any realistic circumstance. It's a lifted truck with big tires, it's not going to get great mileage.

Here's what I get at various cruising speeds on the interestate:

View attachment 147865

That's a good breakdown, matches about what I do on the highway. Honestly, if I could cruise at 65 mph and save some fuel I would, but that would mean sitting in the first two lanes, which means windshield rock hits. To avoid those, I always drive on the two fastest lanes, which means at least 75 mph.

Dewey

Reaction score
No surprising. You’ll rarely see those numbers especially this time of the year with cooler temps. Even with 3.21 gears I’m struggling to get above 15 mpg right now. Best I do in summer is 17-18 with an occasional 19-20 on longer trips driving below 65 mph. Not a Rebel but basically the same set up and A/T tires.

U

User_3336

Surely you didn't buy a truck for outstanding MPG!

HemiDude

Reaction score
Surely you didn't buy a truck for outstanding MPG!
LOL some people think they will get the best of all worlds. I got 18+ in the Summer, I'm getting 13-14 right now, with a fair amount of idling. If you expect 22mpg, then 10mpg less is going to really hurt.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Truth of the matter is I knew when I saw the Rebel there was no way it was ever going to achieve it's EPA mileage, but that's based on personal experience with leveled trucks and big A/T tires, something many new owners may not be.

A first time truck buyer looking at the window sticker and seeing almost half in the real world mileage isn't going to be happy, and they have ever right to be upset.

Manufacturers are allowed to add an exception to their mpg figures downwards. Like GM did with the Chevy Trail Boss, to adjust for the 32" A/Ts and higher ride height they dropped the mpg lower than the rest of the Silverado line-up. That was the right thing for them to do, which RAM could have done the same but didn't, honestly very shady.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Smiles per miles...who cares about MPG. With that said I hover around 16 MPG with normal daily driving which is typically to and from work 5 days a week. Slightly worse in winter...slightly worse when I drive for smiles :)

On a separate note did something change with this site since the new year...it is flooded with ads now at the top of each page?

66Fuelie

Reaction score
In the winter I am lucky to get 17 on the highway, I don't look at it around town.
In the summer I get 19-20 on the highway.
90% of my driving is highway.
Tom

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but it sounds like the OP didn't do enough research on this.

The MPG on all trucks are inflated.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
It's not inflated on all trucks.
Ram does shady stuff like that I guess but not everyone.

My 18 Silverado got better MPG (and didn't have 3.21 gears, it had 3.42s)
My sticker says 16 city 22 highway combined 18.
I got 16-18 in the city, and majority of the highway I would get 24-26, and this was on the 5.3L with all 8 cylinders running.
There was a 75 mile stretch of flat highway I was able to get 30mpg

My ram shows 18 city and 22 highway combined 19.
I have never gotten 18 in the city or 22 in the highway. I get around 14-15 city and 16-17 highway.
My Ram gets 17mpg on that same stretch of highway my Silverado got 30mpg despite the numbers being almost the exact same.

God forbid Ram is honest about the mpg. No need to lie we know these engines are gas hungry but don't put fake numbers on it. Also trucks are not part of the gas guzzler tax so even more reason not to lie about it.

Paco

Reaction score
Maybe a eco diesel would have worked better for you.
I can get 22PMG in the winter, and 26-30 MPG in the summer.
But Good Luck finding a eco.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their MPG test was also done on their flat track at 55mph for 10 miles. I can get 20 in my Rebel if I drive 50-55 on gently rolling hills if there aren't red lights. My drive to daycare has a 7 mile stretch that I drive 50-55. If I can hit all 4 stop lights on it green I get 20. If I hit at least 1 red light it drops significantly. If I hit all 4 red I'm at like 14.

Stop and go traffic and driving above 65 is going to kill your gas mileage. Doesn't matter if you're light on the foot or not, if you're continually stopping and starting your mileage will be bad.

U

User_3336

Maybe a eco diesel would have worked better for you.
I can get 22PMG in the winter, and 26-30 MPG in the summer.
But Good Luck finding a eco.
Yeah, and many people do not want the extra upkeep associated with a diesel!

monza2t

Reaction score
The EPA test isnt realistic, its like an average of 60mph with alot of the test being done below that speed. Add to that the test is done on a base model truck with standard wheels and 3.21 axle. This is all completely legal and within the EPA rules.

Also, your truck is tight. as you get miles on it the MPG gets better as everything breaks in.

Anecdotal info: I get 20.5ish in the summer on my normal commute (info below). Here in cold weather I'm getting 18-19mpg.

Paco

Reaction score
My 2014 eco diesel was traded in with 300,000 kms on it.
The only problem I had was my transmission and Air Suspension.
If not for the current price of diesel, my new eco diesel should last me at least 10 years.
I guess I got lucky???

Users who are viewing this thread