5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

Mother

Reaction score
Tough call TBH. The borla setup was quieter, but not by much. Probably cause of the resonators still on. But it gave a great sound. The MBRP on the other hand gives a great sound as well. This system is a louder at start up and acceleration which does yield a nice smile or smirk in doing so, and quietens down nicely at cruise. Deeper and cleaner might go to the Borla just by a tad. Meaner and a tad louder goes to the MBRP. But, with that said, if I towed allot, I would go Borla muffler route just for the added benefit on the factory resonators. To me, the MBRP system is a good buy for the price you pay TBH. I think I paid $650 shipped for the black coated setup. I will say this...the driver side pipe doesn't align up very well no matter how many times I readjust. Seems the hangar is welded little off because if I center the tip, the rubber hangar is pinched hard with the hangar...so I'll have to get that adjusted at a shop. My only complaint. The MBRP muffler isn't as pretty as Borla's either, just FYI if that matters. But given the two setps, I'd go MBRP again. The acceleration is kinda nice :)

I'll see what I can do on the video.

Hey, just thought I'd share my experience with lining up the driver's side tip on the MBRP. Mine seemed a little off as well (closer to the center of the truck). I just had to loosen the clamp above the spare tire on the driver's side pipe and slip that pipe out of the socket about 1/4" and retighten the clamp. That did the trick for me. The socket is quite deep so there should be no sealing issues.

Lines up quite nicely now (also had the tips powder coated satin black).
20200530_080616.jpg

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got stock exhaust out without cutting thanks to Bearman95.
0b26c9cf2c78a2e6a99354fdef13fecc.jpg

bee2ebfc673178c163a6983f616a397b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kipeharris

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using an aftermarket resonator that is not the $200+ Borla? Not to go into any details but I had a HORRIBLE experience with a local muffler shop and I am looking to tone down my Borla ProXS 40353 muffler. It sounds great, I just wish the knuckleheads at the muffler shop would have left the resonators on, as I requested multiple time before install.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using an aftermarket resonator that is not the $200+ Borla? Not to go into any details but I had a HORRIBLE experience with a local muffler shop and I am looking to tone down my Borla ProXS 40353 muffler. It sounds great, I just wish the knuckleheads at the muffler shop would have left the resonators on, as I requested multiple time before install.

If you told them I would have them put them back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother

Reaction score
Lots of options for just a universal 3" resonator. Vibrant is a good brand and can be had on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. Something like this could be clamped in by yourself or welded in by a shop easy enough.

Disclaimer: I am just posting this as a universal solution similar to what Borla is charging too much for and I have no experience with this particular resonator installed on our trucks and will not attest to what overall effect it will have on the sound.

kipeharris

Reaction score
Lots of options for just a universal 3" resonator. Vibrant is a good brand and can be had on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. Something like this could be clamped in by yourself or welded in by a shop easy enough.

Disclaimer: I am just posting this as a universal solution similar to what Borla is charging too much for and I have no experience with this particular resonator installed on our trucks and will not attest to what overall effect it will have on the sound.

I have seen several great reviews for the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator ( for other vehicles), and am thinking about going that route. Has anyone tried it or have any luck with any brands?

Br549

Reaction score
I'm at the the shop FINALLY getting my Borla touring installed. I'm excited cause everyone's opinion is different guess I'll find out for myself shortly. I'll let everyone know what I think.:unsure:

Br549

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! My Rebel sounds like a Rebel now. I will admit I haven’t run it through all the paces and it has not passed the wife test, but I’m luvin it.

Do I have the resonator? No

Is it louder than what I expected? Slightly, and louder in cab when I make all the ponies run. when my foot comes off the gas nice and quiet again.

Is it to loud? Only the wife will be able to answer that but I don’t think so.

Will I add the resonator? only if I‘m made to Or I notice much drone.

Any drone? Haven’t noticed any yet but haven’t driven enough.

Am I happy?:cool::coffee:(y)

Am I worried about the wife? ALWAYS!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! My Rebel sounds like a Rebel now. I will admit I haven’t run it through all the paces and it has not passed the wife test, but I’m luvin it.

Is it louder than what I expected? Slightly, and louder in cab when I make all the ponies run. when my foot comes off the gas nice and quiet again.

Keep us updated. I'm pretty sure a Borla Touring is in my future; I'm just not sure if I will need the resonator or not.

popcenator

Reaction score
I will say, now that it's warmer and I've had the exhaust for a while, I'm entertaining the idea of taking the resonator off again. The exhaust is still plenty loud with the resonator on, but the coasting volume now is pretty quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Skater

Reaction score

Hey, I'm right there with you.... if the wife is happy.... everyone is happy. If the wife is mad.... I watch TV in the other room and wait it out. As long as she is not mad at me, I have learned to stay the **** out of the way. ;)

p.s. I hope your wife is happy with the sound. (y)

bazbob

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any weight savings by switching from Stock to the Borla Touring catback? I want a 2fer.... Bigger exhaust note and a small payload increase.

Tacofarmer

Reaction score
What’s the disadvantage of just adding a Borla Touring muffler vs replacing all the exhaust tubing?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can’t speak for others but cost is one big factor. When I just added the Borla muffler, it gave me the sound I was looking for minus the cost.

Bcryan

Reaction score
I have seen somewhere on this thread that people are keeping the stock resignator and use it to quiet it down some

RickWaz

Reaction score
Good morning all. It appears that most talk w/i this thread deals w/ the noise differences, and not too much on "tangible" differences, e.g., changes (improvements) to HP, Torque, MPGs, Acceleration, etc. Similar to most manufacturer websites, Borla touts the Back-Cat Exhaust Touring's ability to "... unleash hidden horsepower. Increased exhaust velocity adds power, driving excitement, fuel economy, and the distinctive BORLA® Sound of Power ..." . I'm certainly OK if this system results in a "better" sounding truck. BUT $1,000+ (Cat-Back + Resonator) is VERY steep if that's the only "improvement" that I get.

So ... has anybody gotten better HP or Torque or Mileage or Acceleration, or "Driving Excitement" ;) etc., that for me at least, would justify an upgrade costing that much? THANKS in advance!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I say to those who question the cost, I implore you to just swap to a Borla muffler. You will have sounds minus the cost and your stree level will be down lol. On a serious note all of us can tell we’ve noticed a marked improvement in power, but that can’t be proven without thorough testing. I for one am a sound person and that sound is what draws me.

Users who are viewing this thread