5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

TAL2GK

Reaction score
I just ordered my truck, so won't even have it for two months. Of course that means researching mods now. I was pretty convinced to go S-Type but I've read this entire thread and may reconsider the Touring. 90% of the time, it'll just be me and/or my young boys in the truck. The other 10% will be the whole family towing a 7,000 enclosed car trailer for between 4-10 hour trips. While I'm not particularly worried about the wife getting pissed about the sound, I do want my 1-year-old to be able to sleep on those long trips.

The second question - is there any benefit from getting the stock exhaust taken off right at the dealer before I take delivery of the truck? Can they sell the stock exhaust as new if it comes off before delivery? I was thinking of offering them the parts in exchange for the labor ... but perhaps I'm too optimistic on the stock exhaust value.

Dodge Hemi

Reaction score
As I've posted numerous times here and there, if you want the Borla sound without the noise, just install a Borla muffler ONLY. Keep everything else, aka your resonators. Mine sounds beautiful and perfect. I even swapped in 5" tips. All you need is a Borla Pro XS 3" in 2.5" dual out welded in. You'll be happy I promsie.
Do you happen to have a sound clip of this install? Thanks

Nibis

Reaction score
I just ordered my truck, so won't even have it for two months. Of course that means researching mods now. I was pretty convinced to go S-Type but I've read this entire thread and may reconsider the Touring. 90% of the time, it'll just be me and/or my young boys in the truck. The other 10% will be the whole family towing a 7,000 enclosed car trailer for between 4-10 hour trips. While I'm not particularly worried about the wife getting pissed about the sound, I do want my 1-year-old to be able to sleep on those long trips.

The second question - is there any benefit from getting the stock exhaust taken off right at the dealer before I take delivery of the truck? Can they sell the stock exhaust as new if it comes off before delivery? I was thinking of offering them the parts in exchange for the labor ... but perhaps I'm too optimistic on the stock exhaust value.
I have the touring, without the front resonator, it's pretty tame with the resonator. You will definitely notice it more when towing

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth a million times and I really appreciate all the input. Sound clips really can be deceiving. After going back and forth over the touring I ended up saying screw it and went with the Maggie. To me it was the most "gentleman's" exhaust lol. I want something that only calls attention to itself when you step on it, and I feel from all the input the Borla just isn't that exhaust. I found the Maggie for 765 shipped which seemed good enough to me.

Bizkit

Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between a flowmaster fx and the borla touring? I have a fx now bit want a little more.

tbakowsky

Reaction score
I have the Atak set up. I do really like it, but the interior sound level can be a bit much sometimes. It doesn't drone..its just a tad louder then I would like. I love the sound of the truck from the outside..would.not change a thing. However I am going to install the Borla resonator to help with interior sound levels.

Tom.

Bizkit

Reaction score
Well I got rid of my flow master fx and went with a borla touring. There is definitely a difference. The touring is louder than I expected in a good way.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
I'm going to the Borla Touring from a Flowmaster FlowFX catback. Hoping to get a better sound and more tame (replaces midpipe / no resonator). I have the factory resonator on my factory midpipe. Read somewhere else that a guy added the Borla resonator after the factory one. Said that it did quiet down the cab a lot. I am going to try it without the Borla resonator and if I find it too loud I will add it along with the factory one.

RickWaz

Reaction score
I had the Borla Touring + Borla Resonators installed at the same time because I was a bit concerned about cab noise. It's still a bit louder than I expected, BUT absolutely love the sound. NOT annoying and wife LOVES it as well. Enjoy!

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
I had the Borla Touring + Borla Resonators installed at the same time because I was a bit concerned about cab noise. It's still a bit louder than I expected, BUT absolutely love the sound. NOT annoying and wife LOVES it as well. Enjoy!
Did you remove the factory res like the directions call for, or added it after the factory res?

RickWaz

Reaction score
Did you remove the factory res like the directions call for, or added it after the factory res?
I had the OEM resonators removed, i.e., replaced w/ the Borla. I felt/hoped the Borla Resonators would tone down the sound just enough to still keep an amazing, "improved" sound (and they did) and I did not want it too toned down.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
So I installed the Boral touring with just the factory resonator. The cold start has about the same "loudness" as the Flowmaster FlowFX catback. The Borla is a little quieter at idle.

Now the Borla is hands down the better sounding out of the 2. Deeper tone, and when you get on it she really screams. Will try out for a week and see if I am going to add the resonator. Need to do my 6am cold start before going to the gym.

The other thing I noticed is switching over to MDS is smooth! The Borla has a slight change in tone but not as noticeable. The Flowmaster was terrible!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I installed the Boral touring with just the factory resonator. The cold start has about the same "loudness" as the Flowmaster FlowFX catback. The Borla is a little quieter at idle.

Now the Borla is hands down the better sounding out of the 2. Deeper tone, and when you get on it she really screams. Will try out for a week and see if I am going to add the resonator. Need to do my 6am cold start before going to the gym.

The other thing I noticed is switching over to MDS is smooth! The Borla has a slight change in tone but not as noticeable. The Flowmaster was terrible!
Great to hear...never was nor will be a Flowmaster fanboy.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
I did end up cutting out the factory resonator and putting the Borla one in. Sounds great, the only issue I had was trying to get those exhaust tips aligned and centered. I got so frustrated that I took it to a guy to adjust and weld. It is perfect now!

Todd1500

Reaction score
Ok....I finally put on my Borla Touring cat back system. There are many on here who say it is too loud, others say just right. For me? I'd say I use remote start every time now! But volume, yeah, it's a bit louder than I thought it would be. Compared to a Hemi Challenger, I'd say it's a bit louder than the stock exhaust. But not too much. Definitely on the loud side at start-up outside of the truck, but seems to calm down a bit once the engine warms up. Really don't notice it too much driving down the road. My boys LOVE it, my wife has yet to opine, but she's saying she'll be too embarrassed to drive it now, saying everyone would know its not her truck!

I'm a fan. If you're just looking for a low rumble, I'd say it is a bit more than that. With that said, some have said it quiets a little after a "break-in" period. Still new to me, so we'll see.

Ramaman

Reaction score
I did a quick search on 'exhaust break-in'. I'm in agreement with most people here that their exhausts on their American V8's have mellowed over time. It seems out there in internet land most chatter is to the contrary. Does anyone know 'why' the break-in period might change the tone / volume? The case for 'mellowing' makes the most sense to me as there may be carbon build up that would dampen the sound. Curious if anyone knows.
That's what I've heard also the carbon build up inside the exhaust will dampen the loudness

BeardedYinzer

Reaction score
I noticed that my 2020 Rebel doesn't have the stock resonator on it... yep, just a straight pipe. Would anyone be able to measure how long the factory resonator is from weld to weld?

Users who are viewing this thread