5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

Nibis

Reaction score
For those of you with the Borla Black tips, how are they holding up?

HookerPilot18

Reaction score
Reading through the thread, each person seems to have their own opinion and tolerance for decibel level which is great! Just going to take a leap and go with the touring over the S-type and we'll see how she sounds!

Mother

Reaction score
Reading through the thread, each person seems to have their own opinion and tolerance for decibel level which is great! Just going to take a leap and go with the touring over the S-type and we'll see how she sounds!

That's really the nature of the beast when sharing opinions about exhaust. It's about as subjective as the best color for your truck (Billet Silver, obviously ;) ).

Nibis

Reaction score
I ordered the Touring from Auto Anything on 4/26, they said it was supposed to ship out by 5/4, but hasn't yet. I went with the chrome tips cause I was worried about the black ones not holding up (i'd prefer the black ones) I also saved 50 bucks with a coupon, but I'm getting impatient and thinking about canceling . There are vendors on Ebay that have them in stock.

kipeharris

Reaction score
I really like my Borla touring, not too quiet and not too loud! Cruising at 75 mph you can barely hear it inside the cab! If you want quiet stick with stock.
I have an offer to just buy the touring muffler. How do you think it would do with the stock resonators?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you with the Borla Black tips, how are they holding up?
I’ve had mine since October and the look like the day they were installed. Have you heard there’s an issue with them holding up or something?

Nibis

Reaction score
I’ve had mine since October and the look like the day they were installed. Have you heard there’s an issue with them holding up or something?
I seen one post where a guy said they were looking bad, but he lived in an area where they had a lot of snow.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I seen one post where a guy said they were looking bad, but he lived in an area where they had a lot of snow.
Yeah no snow here to speak of, maybe a issue in the North. I would think the chrome would be more difficult to keep looking good but just my opinion.

Nibis

Reaction score
Yeah no snow here to speak of, maybe a issue in the North. I would think the chrome would be more difficult to keep looking good but just my opinion.
Well, I cancelled my order with AutoAnything, and ordered from a vendor on Ebay and changed to the black tips. Can's wait, should be here by the 14th. My buddy let me borrow his exhaust hanger tool, so that should make things easier

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I cancelled my order with AutoAnything, and ordered from a vendor on Ebay and changed to the black tips. Can's wait, should be here by the 14th. My buddy let me borrow his exhaust hanger tool, so that should make things easier
You’ll be happy with the black tips.

popcenator

Reaction score
I love my Borla. I am still amazed how good it sounds. Every other exhaust I hear now just doesn't do it for me lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my Borla. I am still amazed how good it sounds. Every other exhaust I hear now just doesn't do it for me lol.

Same here, It still brings a smile to my face every time I put that pedal down, also puts a cringe on my wife’s face and that just makes the smile just a little bit bigger.:)

Nibis

Reaction score
Got my Touring system on yesterday afternoon. Those hangers about killed me, and would not have got them with out the tool. I also had to cut the driver's side, not enough room for me to snake it out. Getting the tips how I wanted, was a challenge, and had to readjust after my test drive, and still not happy with the driver side. May end up going to a shop and have them get it, and weld it up. Plus I'm getting to old to be doing this type of job, LOL. I need to just stick with oil changes. I'm sore this morning :coffee:.
As far as the sound goes, I kinda knew what to expect from all the comments, and videos. Also, my truck does not have the stock resonator before the muffler, not sure why, it's just not there, so I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make.

Man, you got to love that Borla sound, my wife told me she is jealous :sneaky:. When you get up to speed and just enough throttle to maintain, you really do not hear it that much. If you need to give it a little more gas, it let's you know it there. If you really give it a little more and a few down shifts, and it get's angry ! I also like the fact that you can really hear the tone difference when it shifts up or down. As far as MDS, I didn't notice it. So far I'm pretty happy, I'll give it some time to settle in

goDawgs65

Reaction score
Got my Touring system on yesterday afternoon. Those hangers about killed me, and would not have got them with out the tool. I also had to cut the driver's side, not enough room for me to snake it out. Getting the tips how I wanted, was a challenge, and had to readjust after my test drive, and still not happy with the driver side. May end up going to a shop and have them get it, and weld it up. Plus I'm getting to old to be doing this type of job, LOL. I need to just stick with oil changes. I'm sore this morning :coffee:.
As far as the sound goes, I kinda knew what to expect from all the comments, and videos. Also, my truck does not have the stock resonator before the muffler, not sure why, it's just not there, so I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make.

Man, you got to love that Borla sound, my wife told me she is jealous :sneaky:. When you get up to speed and just enough throttle to maintain, you really do not hear it that much. If you need to give it a little more gas, it let's you know it there. If you really give it a little more and a few down shifts, and it get's angry ! I also like the fact that you can really hear the tone difference when it shifts up or down. As far as MDS, I didn't notice it. So far I'm pretty happy, I'll give it some time to settle in

Take yourself some R & R behind the wheel and enjoy! Its a well mannered system if you give it a chance. :cool:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I ended up getting a magnaflow system? I have to admit I sometimes consider jumping to a borla touring

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm torn between Magnaflow Catback system and Borla Touring Catback. I'm curious why you sometimes consider jumping to the Borla Touring.

So I had a Borla XR1 muffler on the stock exhaust system, on my Gen1 Rebel. I just replaced the muffler, kept the resonators and everything else.
I f**king loved that thing. Volume aside, the sound quality was amazing, it really let the hemi sing, it had a true "Truck" exhaust sound.
I personally feel that there's a lot of ways to do it right for aftermarket exhausts, it's about finding the sound WE want.
To me certain exhausts sound too "staccato", almost motorcycle like. Some sound muscle-car like.
Some sound loud and irritating, and of course the Gen2 Ford Raptor sounds like a go-kart no matter what they put on it, juust my opinion.
I wanted something with rumble and bass, if that makes sense.
I wanted that "thundercloud" experience again.

The XR1's sound profile was amazing. Volume wise, I'll be honest it droned a little bit in certain circumstances - certainly not unbearable.
I remember when I heard the first cold start, it was in a cold month too. I heard that thundercloud go off and I said to myself, "Oh wow I really married the stripper on this one?" But it put a huge smile on my face.
If you gave it some gas pedal, the noise was fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I did not get it to be loud.
I wanted it to sound good, and it did. But it was also a bit loud at high RPMS.
But let me tell you. The first time you get to finally pass that prius coming out of a toll booth, after they've been driving 54 in a 65 for a mile, and you give it some pedal? Man I just laughed and laughed and laughed.

IIRC I also got an extra 1mpg, and at highway speed if you put the pedal down, I personally believe there was some sort of HP gain at the high end of the RPMs using the subjective butt dyno.

There were just moments when it made me wince.
Example:
Leaving the ex girlfriend's house at 2am, on a frozen side street, single digit temperatures. I started parking farther down the street to avoid waking people up.
I figured, the next time around, I wanted that sound profile, with a little less volume and drone.
And that the borla SYSTEM would best manage drone, the touring option, likely the volume tier for me.

So I get the Gen2 rebel, Borla doesn't have their system out yet. Magnaflow's got one, AND it's on sale.
AND the soundproofing on the Gen5 ram is great, so I can't hear the exhaust at all.
I did not plunk down all this money, just to NOT hear my engine!

I got the magnaflow, and I like it.
Volume wise it's about perfect, it really is. I had a local LEO hear it and in his opinion, not loud enough for noise complaints.
It really sounds like a stock style exhaust system, only you can actually HEAR it, unlike the Gen5 stock system.
It's definitely louder, and it should be.
If you get on it, you can hear it.
There isn't drone.
I've heard it from the outside, had a shop tech drive it. I recall liking it.

...But I'm starting to feel like I miss the Borla sound profile, as a personal preference.
It has a great tone to it when you're climbing up the RPM range.
Having watched some of Borla's videos, I'm impressed with their understanding of what they're doing.
Having multiple cores allows them to tune how much volume they get, keep appropriate backpressure (without losing torque), and tune the noise. It's actually playing multiple notes at once using the cores, sort of "like an organ" so they explain.

Volume and performance wise I'm thinking the 2 exhausts are close, but I'm thinking as a consumer, I might actually prefer the Borla sound profile.
I'm curious enough to start doing research.
I would not say I'm dissatisfied with the magnaflow, just that I might be a borla fanboy.

Nibis

Reaction score
I ended up putting the resonator on, and now the touring is perfect, this is how it should be without the resonator.

popcenator

Reaction score
I ended up putting the resonator on, and now the touring is perfect, this is how it should be without the resonator.
I too feel like it's perfect now. It's still a loud system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread