5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
T
So I had a Borla XR1 muffler on the stock exhaust system, on my Gen1 Rebel. I just replaced the muffler, kept the resonators and everything else.
I f**king loved that thing. Volume aside, the sound quality was amazing, it really let the hemi sing, it had a true "Truck" exhaust sound.
I personally feel that there's a lot of ways to do it right for aftermarket exhausts, it's about finding the sound WE want.
To me certain exhausts sound too "staccato", almost motorcycle like. Some sound muscle-car like.
Some sound loud and irritating, and of course the Gen2 Ford Raptor sounds like a go-kart no matter what they put on it, juust my opinion.
I wanted something with rumble and bass, if that makes sense.
I wanted that "thundercloud" experience again.

The XR1's sound profile was amazing. Volume wise, I'll be honest it droned a little bit in certain circumstances - certainly not unbearable.
I remember when I heard the first cold start, it was in a cold month too. I heard that thundercloud go off and I said to myself, "Oh wow I really married the stripper on this one?" But it put a huge smile on my face.
If you gave it some gas pedal, the noise was fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I did not get it to be loud.
I wanted it to sound good, and it did. But it was also a bit loud at high RPMS.
But let me tell you. The first time you get to finally pass that prius coming out of a toll booth, after they've been driving 54 in a 65 for a mile, and you give it some pedal? Man I just laughed and laughed and laughed.

IIRC I also got an extra 1mpg, and at highway speed if you put the pedal down, I personally believe there was some sort of HP gain at the high end of the RPMs using the subjective butt dyno.

There were just moments when it made me wince.
Example:
Leaving the ex girlfriend's house at 2am, on a frozen side street, single digit temperatures. I started parking farther down the street to avoid waking people up.
I figured, the next time around, I wanted that sound profile, with a little less volume and drone.
And that the borla SYSTEM would best manage drone, the touring option, likely the volume tier for me.

So I get the Gen2 rebel, Borla doesn't have their system out yet. Magnaflow's got one, AND it's on sale.
AND the soundproofing on the Gen5 ram is great, so I can't hear the exhaust at all.
I did not plunk down all this money, just to NOT hear my engine!

I got the magnaflow, and I like it.
Volume wise it's about perfect, it really is. I had a local LEO hear it and in his opinion, not loud enough for noise complaints.
It really sounds like a stock style exhaust system, only you can actually HEAR it, unlike the Gen5 stock system.
It's definitely louder, and it should be.
If you get on it, you can hear it.
There isn't drone.
I've heard it from the outside, had a shop tech drive it. I recall liking it.

...But I'm starting to feel like I miss the Borla sound profile, as a personal preference.
It has a great tone to it when you're climbing up the RPM range.
Having watched some of Borla's videos, I'm impressed with their understanding of what they're doing.
Having multiple cores allows them to tune how much volume they get, keep appropriate backpressure (without losing torque), and tune the noise. It's actually playing multiple notes at once using the cores, sort of "like an organ" so they explain.

Volume and performance wise I'm thinking the 2 exhausts are close, but I'm thinking as a consumer, I might actually prefer the Borla sound profile.
I'm curious enough to start doing research.
I would not say I'm dissatisfied with the magnaflow, just that I might be a borla fanboy.
Thanks for the detailed response. Great info and insight!

Br549

Reaction score
For those who have removed the factory exhaust themselves without a legitimate vehicle lift in the garage. What would be the height needed to remove the factory exhaust without cutting. I was debating on investing in taller stands to remove it myself or just having my local shop remove and install my new Borla touring. Just wanted to keep the factory exhaust intact though probably not necessary.

Mother

Reaction score
I think it depends on how much other stuff you are willing to remove (i.e. spare tire, heat shielding, etc). I went ahead and cut mine at a spot where it's straight and figured I can use a butt-style clamp if I ever go to reinstall it.

Nibis

Reaction score
For those who have removed the factory exhaust themselves without a legitimate vehicle lift in the garage. What would be the height needed to remove the factory exhaust without cutting. I was debating on investing in taller stands to remove it myself or just having my local shop remove and install my new Borla touring. Just wanted to keep the factory exhaust intact though probably not necessary.
I had to cut mine. If I had to do it over again, I would have just had it installed. If you think it's too loud, give it a few weeks, let it break in, then if you still think it's too loud, get the resonator. I won't be going back to stock, so I will be recycling my stock system

Br549

Reaction score
I had to cut mine. If I had to do it over again, I would have just had it installed. If you think it's too loud, give it a few weeks, let it break in, then if you still think it's too loud, get the resonator. I won't be going back to stock, so I will be recycling my stock system
Agreed, probably have it installed.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im thinking of grabbing one of these as well.....found a good price on one im still wondering how's the sound really is and cab noise

Nibis

Reaction score
Im thinking of grabbing one of these as well.....found a good price on one im still wondering how's the sound really is and cab noise
I put the resonator in, and I actually think it could be a bit louder at times. At cruising speed, I can't even hardly hear it. I don't hear any drone at all. I could see how it might get annoying if you did a lot of towing.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the resonator in, and I actually think it could be a bit louder at times. At cruising speed, I can't even hardly hear it. I don't hear any drone at all. I could see how it might get annoying if you did a lot of towing.
So, did you have the factory front resonator still in before you installed the Borla one or did you have a straight pipe? Does the Borla make a difference over the factory one?

Nibis

Reaction score
So, did you have the factory front resonator still in before you installed the Borla one or did you have a straight pipe? Does the Borla make a difference over the factory one?
I did not have the factory resonator, not sure why, but my truck just had a straight pipe.

popcenator

Reaction score
Yes, the Borla resonator made a pretty significant difference. The stock resonator might as well just be a straight pipe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the Borla resonator made a pretty significant difference. The stock resonator might as well just be a straight pipe.

The thing that I hate about the stock resonators are that they have a slight exhaust leak sound due to the weep holes. Did The Borla Touring Catback with Borla resonator get rid of that sound? I'm really leaning towards the Borla Touring Cat Back with the Borla resonator. I was going to get the Magnaflow cat back, but I'm starting to change my mind.

popcenator

Reaction score
The thing that I hate about the stock resonators are that they have a slight exhaust leak sound due to the weep holes. Did The Borla Touring Catback with Borla resonator get rid of that sound? I'm really leaning towards the Borla Touring Cat Back with the Borla resonator. I was going to get the Magnaflow cat back, but I'm starting to change my mind.
Those are the rear resonators you're referring to. Those are eliminated completely with the cat-back system. The stock exhaust also has a front resonator just before the the Borla system connects, it's welded into the stock system so you have to cut it out and clamp in the Borla resonator.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Any drone while at highway speeds? I haven't done a cat back on my Ram yet. But when I was looking for an exhaust for my Vette a few years ago I went with Corsa Sports because they were known for not having any drone. I had a Borla system on a 97 Trans Am years ago and the drone was terrible.

I love the Corsa's. Nice sound not too loud until you put you foot in it then it gets LOUD.

popcenator

Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone, but my S-Type had some drone around 1500-2000 RPMs, pretty much only when accelerating. Highway was fine. I put the resonator on and it took care of the drone. I found the resonator brand new for $160 so it was worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread