5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

Chuck19

Reaction score
No I haven't towed and no drone. Sounds good. Interesting enough, I just traded my '19 for a '20 and was going to go the same route but decided at the last minute to try a MBRP catback. And I love it. Sounds amazing. Little louder than my borla muffler setup but quiet at cruise and no drone. Just another option
So between the Borla muffler replacement and the MBRP catback which gives a deeper cleaner sound? Which one puts a bigger smile on your face without excessive drone? I was dead set on going with Borla muffler replacement and then if I wasn’t happy removing resonators. However I have read through this entire thread and I feel based on your posts we are trying to achieve the same end result!

Any chance we good get a video of the MBRP setup?!? I

mhb1638

Reaction score
So between the Borla muffler replacement and the MBRP catback which gives a deeper cleaner sound? Which one puts a bigger smile on your face without excessive drone? I was dead set on going with Borla muffler replacement and then if I wasn’t happy removing resonators. However I have read through this entire thread and I feel based on your posts we are trying to achieve the same end result!

Any chance we good get a video of the MBRP setup?!? I
Tough call TBH. The borla setup was quieter, but not by much. Probably cause of the resonators still on. But it gave a great sound. The MBRP on the other hand gives a great sound as well. This system is a louder at start up and acceleration which does yield a nice smile or smirk in doing so, and quietens down nicely at cruise. Deeper and cleaner might go to the Borla just by a tad. Meaner and a tad louder goes to the MBRP. But, with that said, if I towed allot, I would go Borla muffler route just for the added benefit on the factory resonators. To me, the MBRP system is a good buy for the price you pay TBH. I think I paid $650 shipped for the black coated setup. I will say this...the driver side pipe doesn't align up very well no matter how many times I readjust. Seems the hangar is welded little off because if I center the tip, the rubber hangar is pinched hard with the hangar...so I'll have to get that adjusted at a shop. My only complaint. The MBRP muffler isn't as pretty as Borla's either, just FYI if that matters. But given the two setps, I'd go MBRP again. The acceleration is kinda nice :)

I'll see what I can do on the video.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Tough call TBH. The borla setup was quieter, but not by much. Probably cause of the resonators still on. But it gave a great sound. The MBRP on the other hand gives a great sound as well. This system is a louder at start up and acceleration which does yield a nice smile or smirk in doing so, and quietens down nicely at cruise. Deeper and cleaner might go to the Borla just by a tad. Meaner and a tad louder goes to the MBRP. But, with that said, if I towed allot, I would go Borla muffler route just for the added benefit on the factory resonators. To me, the MBRP system is a good buy for the price you pay TBH. I think I paid $650 shipped for the black coated setup. I will say this...the driver side pipe doesn't align up very well no matter how many times I readjust. Seems the hangar is welded little off because if I center the tip, the rubber hangar is pinched hard with the hangar...so I'll have to get that adjusted at a shop. My only complaint. The MBRP muffler isn't as pretty as Borla's either, just FYI if that matters. But given the two setps, I'd go MBRP again. The acceleration is kinda nice :)

Thanks for your detailed opinion, and if you can get a clip that would be great! I still however am still on the fence on what to do. I mentioned i dont want any drone to a buddy and he said go Corsa because the have some type of patented no drone technology. After looking into it however they want $1400 for the setup and I’m not sire i want to spend that much on exhaust.

Mother

Reaction score

In for a video of the MBRP. Doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there on it.

jaydeebee24

Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed opinion, and if you can get a clip that would be great! I still however am still on the fence on what to do. I mentioned i dont want any drone to a buddy and he said go Corsa because the have some type of patented no drone technology. After looking into it however they want $1400 for the setup and I’m not sire i want to spend that much on exhaust.

While I can totally understand not wanting to drop that much money on an exhaust, I went the Corsa route after giving a 14in Magnaflow a try and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. Their claims of no drone or resonance hold up, even with my ANC being deleted.

mhb1638

Reaction score
So i've been thinking on this and need some input cause I really don't know where to do this. All I have is my S20+ not a GoPro. And if I do a video where do I upload it to, Youtube? If I know where to go with it, I can do an outside and driving video for those that want. Thanks for the help

Mother

Reaction score
Eh, videos never do exhaust justice anyway. I went ahead and ordered the MBRP in 304 so I'll find out soon enough how it is!

I figure worst case scenario, if I think it's too loud, I can add a resonator easy enough since the front section is straight. I'll probably like it just fine though.

Nibis

Reaction score
Well, I ordered the Borla Touring, and if it's too loud, I'll order the Magnaflow Muffler/Resonator , it's a hundred cheaper than the Borla. There are a couple options for the Magnaflow
The 12619 which is 6" x 14" and the 12649 which is 6" x 18"

mhb1638

Reaction score
Well, I ordered the Borla Touring, and if it's too loud, I'll order the Magnaflow Muffler/Resonator , it's a hundred cheaper than the Borla. There are a couple options for the Magnaflow
The 12619 which is 6" x 14" and the 12649 which is 6" x 18"
Good luck man, I found that system just too loud. Many people complained about it, thats why Borla came out with their overpriced resonator.

Nibis

Reaction score
So looking at some install videos and reading posts, some of you have a factory resonator before the muffler. I do not have a factory resonator, crawled under a bit ago and it's just a straight pipe

Gumpa

Reaction score
So looking at some install videos and reading posts, some of you have a factory resonator before the muffler. I do not have a factory resonator, crawled under a bit ago and it's just a straight pipe
If you had it, it would be a "bottle" style resonator, basically a 4" diameter "bulge" on a 3" pipe. It's not a can type like the tailpipe resonators. There is a 3" perforated tube inside and what looks like a piece of cardboard around that for sound absorption. I can't imagine it does much. Maybe they deleted it for 2020?

Mother

Reaction score

Just went and checked. My 2020 has it...
20200428_073709.jpg

Mother

Reaction score
Hmm... mine is an earlier build (September, I think). Maybe a running change. Does yours being 4x4 make a difference? Mine being eTorque?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes this is why it’s sorta important to list in your signature what you have. This way when folks compare, it’s an actual apple to apple comparison and hopefully that will help others. :)

Mother

Reaction score
Yes this is why it’s sorta important to list in your signature what you have. This way when folks compare, it’s an actual apple to apple comparison and hopefully that will help others. :)
Still not sure which makes the difference as I've seen 4wd models with it too. Maybe they decided it didn't do much or maybe they changed something else that made it unnecessary.

Doesn't matter much though, mine's coming off since the MBRP system goes all the way to the cat flange. I guess this isn't an MBRP thread though. ;)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still not sure which makes the difference as I've seen 4wd models with it too. Maybe they decided it didn't do much or maybe they changed something else that made it unnecessary.

Doesn't matter much though, mine's coming off since the MBRP system goes all the way to the cat flange. I guess this isn't an MBRP thread though. ;)
Long bed vs short bed? Shot in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread