5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Really this is going to be a personal preference thing. My wife wants it as quiet as a mouse, it’s a 8cyl vehicle that to me needs some rumble. I’ve spent quite a sum to only arrive at what I should have stuck with to begin with. Now with that being the case again I can not stress if you want it quiet stay STOCK lol.

BPA5150

Reaction score
Really this is going to be a personal preference thing. My wife wants it as quiet as a mouse, it’s a 8cyl vehicle that to me needs some rumble. I’ve spent quite a sum to only arrive at what I should have stuck with to begin with. Now with that being the case again I can not stress if you want it quiet stay STOCK lol.
I agree. I learned an expensive lesson... that to me (and wife) the quiet inside is more important than the rumble outside. :)

popcenator

Reaction score
This is my issue, I don't want to commit to a system without hearing it in person first. It almost seems like the Touring and S-Type are the same volume wise, but the S-Type is a little deeper. At least that's what it seems like from videos. I know I want Borla, they have the tone I'm looking for. My concern is in cab, I don't need it quiet, I just don't want it to overpower conversations or drown out the music.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jyates04

Reaction score
This is my issue, I don't want to commit to a system without hearing it in person first. It almost seems like the Touring and S-Type are the same volume wise, but the S-Type is a little deeper. At least that's what it seems like from videos. I know I want Borla, they have the tone I'm looking for. My concern is in cab, I don't need it quiet, I just don't want it to overpower conversations or drown out the music.

I’ve found my ATAK is like anything, if I keep my foot out of it, it’s very tame. I can also get every person to turn around at a gas station going by if I wanted to. I had 5 people in my truck the other day and we were having a conversation for the hour ride...if I based my decision off reading peoples posts here I’d say 90% of them belong in a Tesla to keep their wife’s happy. Id put the S Type on it. Happy medium in the Borla scale.

popcenator

Reaction score
I’ve found my ATAK is like anything, if I keep my foot out of it, it’s very tame. I can also get every person to turn around at a gas station going by if I wanted to. I had 5 people in my truck the other day and we were having a conversation for the hour ride...if I based my decision off reading peoples posts here I’d say 90% of them belong in a Tesla to keep their wife’s happy. Id put the S Type on it. Happy medium in the Borla scale.
Yeah, I have a feeling if I skip on the S-Type, I'll always feel like I should have just picked it. I love the sound of the S-Type and if it's tame inside just cruising, that's my only concern

Jyates04

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a feeling if I skip on the S-Type, I'll always feel like I should have just picked it. I love the sound of the S-Type and if it's tame inside just cruising, that's my only concern

I cruise daily for a half hour each way at about 60mph with the ATAK in 7th gear and I have the volume of my radio at 10, I regularly have phone conversations through car play while driving. Obviously taking off from stops I can hear it but isn’t that the point of an exhaust? I’ve never felt at any point it was so miserably loud I’d take it off.

popcenator

Reaction score
I cruise daily for a half hour each way at about 60mph with the ATAK in 7th gear and I have the volume of my radio at 10, I regularly have phone conversations through car play while driving. Obviously taking off from stops I can hear it but isn’t that the point of an exhaust? I’ve never felt at any point it was so miserably loud I’d take it off.
All true things lol.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score

I'd also vote for the S-Type. I'm in sales and regularly have phone conversations with customers while tooling down the road in my S-Type equipped RAM. I've never had a single one of them ever mention the sound of the exhaust, or had any trouble hearing what they are saying. If it turns out it is a little too loud for your taste, you can always add the front resonator, effectively turning it into a Touring exhaust.

BPA5150

Reaction score
As I've stated before the Touring was definitely louder than I expected/wanted. I didn't love the system on this truck BUT I still love Borla! The company and customer service are top-notch!

I purchased through an authorized dealer but I contacted Borla directly and respectfully gave them my opinion and... they're providing a FULL refund for the system. They're even sending a box and having it picked-up at my house with no charge for return shipping.

Now THAT is a great company that stands behind their product! (y)

barakutha

Reaction score
I too felt that the Touring was way too loud. I didn't really mind the noise outside but it was just too loud in the cab. This is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned, not any more!
I had seen several posts saying the Borla resonator didn't quiet it enough, and it is way expensive for basically a small (5 x 10??) glasspack at over $200. I decided to just put a 6 x 14 round magnaflow muffler (#12619) in place of the factory front resonator and I am pretty happy with it. It definitely took it down a notch, I would still call it aggressive but no longer obnoxious.
$100 plus a couple clamps, can't beat that! Only downside is its 409 stainless, but so are the factory pipes up front.

Does the magnaflow 12619 take the place of the borla resonator? How are ya liking yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 Limited 4x4 with ramboxes, no etourque
- Borla cat-back touring with resonator
- 20% ceramic tint all around and pano
- Mostly dechromed and debadged
- Leveled with Daystar spacers and revel links (0.5in rake)
- Nitto ridge grapplers 285/55r22 (34.6x11.7)

Gumpa

Reaction score
Yes you cut out the little factory resonator in the front pipe and install in the same place as the Borla resonator goes. I am happy with the sound now, its still fairly loud outside esp on cold start but much better in the cab. You will still hear the mds a little but that doesn't bother me.

barakutha

Reaction score
Yes you cut out the little factory resonator in the front pipe and install in the same place as the Borla resonator goes. I am happy with the sound now, its still fairly loud outside esp on cold start but much better in the cab. You will still hear the mds a little but that doesn't bother me.

Any difference in how it sounds when MDS kicks in? More or less obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 Limited 4x4 with ramboxes, no etourque
- Borla cat-back touring with resonator
- 20% ceramic tint all around and pano
- Mostly dechromed and debadged
- Leveled with Daystar spacers and revel links (0.5in rake)
- Nitto ridge grapplers 285/55r22 (34.6x11.7)

Execs0

Reaction score
Just installed touring on my 20 rebel. very surprised at how loud it is inside cab....I understood Borla has no drone. Very disappointed as I had expected touring to be tolerable for cab noise. Any others with this issue or suggestions on next steps. Thanks

Bearman95

Reaction score
I have a touring in my 2020 Laramie sport. I have not noticed any drone or it being too loud! I love it. I guess the sound is subjective.

Execs0

Reaction score
Bearman95... true that sound is subjective. I watched as many videos when deciding on which cat back brand to go with. After reading and watching, thought for sure the Borla touring would be perfect. It’s the noice inside the cab that is the disappointment not to mention a surprise.

bennekm

Reaction score
As Ive posted numerous times here and there, if you want the Borla sound without the noise, just install a Borla muffler ONLY. Keep everything else, aka your resonators. Mine sounds beautiful and perfect. I even swapped in 5" tips. All you need is a Borla Pro XS 3" in 2.5" dual out welded in. You'll be happy I promsie.

Is there any drone with just the muffler replacement? Have you tried towing anything of weight with this set-up? If so is it tolerable?

mhb1638

Reaction score
Is there any drone with just the muffler replacement? Have you tried towing anything of weight with this set-up? If so is it tolerable?
No I haven't towed and no drone. Sounds good. Interesting enough, I just traded my '19 for a '20 and was going to go the same route but decided at the last minute to try a MBRP catback. And I love it. Sounds amazing. Little louder than my borla muffler setup but quiet at cruise and no drone. Just another option

Users who are viewing this thread