5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would definitely post a WTB as I saw one guy was selling his for $50.00. The worse that could happen is you may need to travel a little to get one.

BPA5150

Reaction score
Thanks, I thought some people might be looking to unload OEM. A guy in SoCal already contacted me. If I decide to go back stock what’s the going rate for a Borla touring cat-back with about 20 miles on it? LOL.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Now see that’s where it gets tricky as folks will be looking for deals that involve you paying them to take it. It’s sad as when you pay one price on Monday, you’ll not get anywhere close to that unless you add the difference yourself lol. I would suggest dropping the cost down 10% and see where you are. If you aren’t in a rush to sell, and are willing to ship you’ll have more offers.

BPA5150

Reaction score
Soooo... I'm going back to stock. My local shop owner said he can weld Humpty Dumpty back together again and re-install for $150, says it'll be good as new. That seems like the best exit strategy at this point. I'm not confident the extra Borla resonator will dampen it down enough and I don't want to compete with you PorBoy and your 6 different exhaust installs :p.

It sounds great but it's just too aggressive for my taste. The decision was made as soon as the wife started shouting at me from the passenger seat to emphasize that it's LOUD, and my kid also hates it in the back.

I previously had the Chevy Performance exhaust on my Silverado and that was great, wife even liked it. Deep cold start and growl when you got on it, but barely noticeable the rest of the time. IDK, shop says the 5.7 Hemi just makes more noise than the 5.3 Chevy.

I'll just cut my loses and chalk it up to old age and experience. The Borla Touring will be up for sale soon. If anyone in SoCal is interested start a private chat.

I'll go back to enjoying the peace and quiet in my luxury "car" of the year! Like someone else posted... Get off of my lawn!! :ROFLMAO:

mhb1638

Reaction score
As Ive posted numerous times here and there, if you want the Borla sound without the noise, just install a Borla muffler ONLY. Keep everything else, aka your resonators. Mine sounds beautiful and perfect. I even swapped in 5" tips. All you need is a Borla Pro XS 3" in 2.5" dual out welded in. You'll be happy I promsie.

BPA5150

Reaction score
As Ive posted numerous times here and there, if you want the Borla sound without the noise, just install a Borla muffler ONLY. Keep everything else, aka your resonators. Mine sounds beautiful and perfect. I even swapped in 5" tips. All you need is a Borla Pro XS 3" in 2.5" dual out welded in. You'll be happy I promsie.

;) yes but if I recall you ended up there AFTER you had both a Magnaflow cat-back and a Borla Touring cat-back installed. I wish I would've tried the Borla muffler-only option first. The major problem I've discovered is one man's "beautiful and perfect" is another man's "Holy crap are you kidding me!?!" :oops:

I listened to every sound clip I could find 100 times and thought the Touring sounded just right. I'm never modifying my exhaust again without hearing it live and in person on the same type of vehicle first. Live and learn.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’ve heard the ATAK and it owned me lol. There’s no way I would be able to daily that on a truck. Muscle car yes, truck ummmmmmm no. :)

BPA5150

Reaction score
My word, you guys would have a stroke listening to the ATAK ‍:D. Its entertaining to see the different opinions on exhausts.

:ROFLMAO: Exactly! One man's perfect sound is another man's divorce... which is why I've decided that just reading opinions online really doesn't give you solid info.

Exact same system on exact same truck... some love it, some hate it. I rolled the dice and lost. :(

Last edited:

PorBoy

Reaction score
Well as we all know my numerous swapping of exhaust was spearheaded by my wife and beautiful daughters. They’ve watching me so if no one hears from me, you’ll know why lol...

Jyates04

Reaction score
:ROFLMAO: Exactly! One man's perfect sound is another man's divorce.
It’d be a cold day in hell before my wife told me to take an exhaust off. I was hoping it’d be so loud she wouldn’t want to ride in my truck or take it anywhere so I could keep it clean, failed miserably. But as many have said “to each their own”. :giggle:

popcenator

Reaction score
I had that setup on my 2012 and while I know it'll sound a little different on the 2019, I loved it. It was loud though. Did the 5" tips deepen the sound for you assuming you ran the muffler without the 5" tips before upgrading?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BPA5150

Reaction score
My shop said the Borla tips are another reason it‘s louder... smaller pipe going into bigger is like a megaphone effect and amplifies sound.

popcenator

Reaction score
If I went the muffler only route, I'd definitely get 5" tips. They made my last exhaust really shine. All of the muffler only videos seems pretty weak for me, but the Borla systems seem like they may be a little much for my wife. I don't really want to piece an exhaust together but that may be the route I need to go in my case.

mhb1638

Reaction score
I had that setup on my 2012 and while I know it'll sound a little different on the 2019, I loved it. It was loud though. Did the 5" tips deepen the sound for you assuming you ran the muffler without the 5" tips before upgrading?

I love the sound. And I added the Carven tips afterwards. The muffler went in first then a few months later, the tips.

mhb1638

Reaction score
;) yes but if I recall you ended up there AFTER you had both a Magnaflow cat-back and a Borla Touring cat-back installed. I wish I would've tried the Borla muffler-only option first. The major problem I've discovered is one man's "beautiful and perfect" is another man's "Holy crap are you kidding me!?!" :oops:

I listened to every sound clip I could find 100 times and thought the Touring sounded just right. I'm never modifying my exhaust again without hearing it live and in person on the same type of vehicle first. Live and learn.
You are correct. Me and Porboy went this route. The MF system was really nice, but the sound it produced just doesn't match the pure meanness of the Borla. Just my opinion. And the Borla catback was just too loud as others have pointed out. Ask Porboy, he's there resident expert on exhausts lol

popcenator

Reaction score
I love the sound. And I added the Carven tips afterwards. The muffler went in first then a few months later, the tips.
Did the tips make the tone deeper? If so that may be the route I go. I love the hollowed deep sound of the Borla S-Type but I feel like the wife will not be happy with how loud it is.

popcenator

Reaction score
Also, I'd love to hear a sound clip of your exhaust if you have the time/means to record it.

BPA5150

Reaction score
You are correct. Me and Porboy went this route. The MF system was really nice, but the sound it produced just doesn't match the pure meanness of the Borla. Just my opinion. And the Borla catback was just too loud as others have pointed out. Ask Porboy, he's there resident expert on exhausts lol

I agree Sir. I had the stock system re-installed and silence has never sounded so good! The Borla definitely sounds mean! It’s awesome but IMO it’s not a “mild growl” as they claim, more like a roar especially when you’re on it.

I really did like the agressive sound OUTSIDE but I (and my wife) prefer the quiet INSIDE of stock. Had to just admit it was a mistake (for me) and cut my loses LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread