5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

SColang22

Reaction score
I’m stuck on Borla S-Type or Atak. I’m scared the Atak would be too loud. But I read somewhere on here that Borla is coming out with a resonator that will bring it down to the less model.
I got the s-type and to me it’s perfect and I hate loud exhausts. I heard the atak on another truck and it sounded good but def on the loud side. I’m not gonna put the resonator on my s-type cause I think it would bring it to close to stock.

SColang22

Reaction score
Jeeze, I think I've researched every post about Borla's Touring vs S type exhaust. I also own a '15 Corvette, love the factory performance exhaust, it has a touring mode and a sport mode. I leave it in the sport mode all the time. It has the sound I'm looking for on my '19 Limited. I'm looking for a more aggressive sound than the lame stock system but I don't want to sound like a notch below straight headers...LOL.

I was set to pull the trigger on the S type until I read more posts on how loud the touring is. Guess my question is:

Those that have bought the touring system for their trucks, is this your first experience with changing out the stock exhaust to a cat back system?

If this was, then that would explain your surprise at the sound. I'm used to a throaty sound at idle and even more at WOT. I just don't think the touring is what I'm looking for? I don't want to be disappointed...

Your input is highly welcomed....

On the fence
I hate loud exhaust and I have the s-type. It is perfect. Definitely not as loud as everyone makes it out to be. I would not go any less

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you want a nice rumble without the LOUD, go with either a Borla muffler or a Magnaflow one based upon the Rams around here. I’ve done both the S Type and the Touring and to me they are too close sound wise. I loved it, the wife and daughters not so much. :(

PorBoy

Reaction score
Wow definitely not what I was expecting cost wise. But if that had it at the time of me ordering my Touring,I would have gladly purchased that to just for the peace of mind it would afford me.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Wow definitely not what I was expecting cost wise. But if that had it at the time of me ordering my Touring,I would have gladly purchased that to just for the peace of mind it would afford me.
Typical Borla...high. $200+ for one single resonator-um no. Can buy the same **** on Amazon for $100 from Vibrant. It's all marketing as they know people want these to quiet their stuff down.

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^. See there in lies the problem, even hearing it won’t guarantee that it will live up to what it’s supposed to.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I knew what it sounded like. I might consider it. Worried it will make to much like stock and at that point I’ll just put my stock exhaust back on!
From what I read somewhere, the resonator will bring it down to what power model. So ATAK exhaust with a resonator would bring it down to the S-Type. S-Type exhaust with a resonator would bring it down to the touring.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ right. I’ve noticed that some catbacks eliminates the front resonator while others don’t which from what’s said in my eyes seems to make a world of difference in loudness and some drone

cjgerson

Reaction score
Wish I knew what it sounded like. I might consider it. Worried it will make to much like stock and at that point I’ll just put my stock exhaust back on!
I sent an email to Borla last night asking if they have any sound or video clips. I will share their response once I get it.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^. See there in lies the problem, even hearing it won’t guarantee that it will live up to what it’s supposed to.

I think that's sorta been the hardest part about all this exhaust stuff right?
Reading someone's review still doesn't let you know what YOU will think of the tone/noise level.
It gives you an idea, but exacts vary by person.

I've said a million times that the magnaflow is "mellow".
But to some guys it was too much!

To the fine gentleman with the red Rebel whose username I can't recall - he likens the exhaust note to a muscle car.
I think it's way, way tamer than that.
Technically neither of us is wrong.

The subjectivity of exhaust noises is so dependent on taste, short of posted decibel meter readings?
We're operating almost entirely in gray areas on these things.

I sent an email to Borla last night asking if they have any sound or video clips. I will share their response once I get it.

That's one of the toughest things to capture on video in my opinion! The audio volume.
We can get the idea of the sound/tone, the musical note if you will. But the exact loudness is at the mercy of the sound system and its setup.

BUT I do think some video beats no video, 100% agreement on that.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading someone's review still doesn't let you know what YOU will think of the tone/noise level.

To the fine gentleman with the red Rebel whose username I can't recall - he likens the exhaust note to a muscle car.

The subjectivity of exhaust noises is so dependent on taste, short of posted decibel meter readings?

That's one of the toughest things to capture on video in my opinion! The audio volume.
We can get the idea of the sound/tone, the musical note if you will. But the exact loudness is at the mercy of the sound system and its setup.

Listen to the video clips with good headphones on to get some bass and when driver has turn signals on or clears throat or talks gives some comparison on sound levels. Like you say, anything to listen to is better than nothing. :cool:

cjgerson

Reaction score
Borla got back to me...

"Unfortunately we do not currently have any plans to release a video of the resonator but they will start shipping in about two weeks! As you can see on the website we just started taking orders for the new part. The resonator will lower the sound level of the exhaust by a half step down. For example, adding a resonator to an S-type system would result in a sound that is about halfway between the Touring and the S-type."

grinch72

Reaction score

I think having the original Borla video clips and then some new ones with the Resonator on will be good enough to me to compare. I have the Touring and I think it was what I was expected based on Borla's videos. It is simply annoying to my wife and when she's not happy, neither am I. Especially when I cold start it in the morning and it wakes her up. If I could chill that down a bit, I think it would be a good compromise. If not, Im either going back to stock to make her happy or parking the truck down the road.. Hahaha

grinch72

Reaction score
From what I read somewhere, the resonator will bring it down to what power model. So ATAK exhaust with a resonator would bring it down to the S-Type. S-Type exhaust with a resonator would bring it down to the touring.
I want to know what it brings the Touring down too..... Is it down to stock? I will just put my stock exhaust back on. If it tames a bit, I think my wife will be happier

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^^. See that was my main problem with both of my exhausts. My wife not being happy when I was starting the truck in the morning. Once it settled down and I babied it, I could barely and I mean barely get by in her mind. Since I’ve gone back to stock, she has been happy but to me it doesn’t sound like a truck anymore...

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that first big resonator does a lot work. I’d be curious what note change would be on a FM fx muffler & b2 MF muffler bolt one muffler only would sound like.
Edit: hell even what stock would sound like with a bolt on front resonator delete.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would just tell the wife to buck up!! I got her the vehicle she wanted with everything she wanted. I’m going to have the same thing. I’ll sacrifice a tad by not getting the ATAK. S-Type will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhb1638

Reaction score
Not sure $200 is a worthwhile expense for an unknown sound. Like every one else, the touring is just too loud. Thinking of either a stock setup with just s muffler swap or a vibrant resonator instead. Lot cheaper than Borla

Users who are viewing this thread