5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure $200 is a worthwhile expense for an unknown sound. Like every one else, the touring is just too loud. Thinking of either a stock setup with just s muffler swap or a vibrant resonator instead. Lot cheaper than Borla
The touring is too loud? Man, I didn’t know that. The Borla video didn’t sound that it was too loud but I guess it is. I guess I may have to rethink the S-type.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Again take this for whatit is worth, I have owned both the S Type and the Touring. For my wife they both were too loud especiallyupon startup. If I didn’t care about her feelings, then I would have stuck with the Touring. As such I’ve since gone back to stock. This week I will be installing the MF with 5” black tips to see how that does. I’ll give it a month to settle in before I give my thoughts and hers.

mhb1638

Reaction score
The touring is too loud? Man, I didn’t know that. The Borla video didn’t sound that it was too loud but I guess it is. I guess I may have to rethink the S-type.
@PorBoy is the best reference comparing the systems. I had the MF catback and went to the Borla touring. I will tell you as Porboy will, its still loud. I attached photos earlier in the thread ( I think) comparing the stock muffler, to MF, to Borla and Borla is the smallest...even for the touring. Personally speaking, you want a nice mellow sound then you want the MF system. I just didn't like the sound, wasn't my cup of tea

PorBoy

Reaction score
I really feel that the Borla even though they are very well built, are loud and that’s ok. But know that going in so you will not be surprised upon installation lol.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@PorBoy is the best reference comparing the systems. I had the MF catback and went to the Borla touring. I will tell you as Porboy will, its still loud. I attached photos earlier in the thread ( I think) comparing the stock muffler, to MF, to Borla and Borla is the smallest...even for the touring. Personally speaking, you want a nice mellow sound then you want the MF system. I just didn't like the sound, wasn't my cup of tea
I just want that deep growl. Doesn’t have to be super loud. Just a deep V8 growl.

blkv3tt3

Reaction score
I've had a Borla Touring cat-back on for almost 2 weeks now. I love the sound around town, but I do wish it was a little quieter in the cabin at highway speeds. I don't know how it would be for rear passengers over an extended period of time on the highway...they might get enough of the constant sound coming from the rear.

I'll give it a little more time. Like what's been said in prior posts, if the resonator brings it back to stock on touring, then what's the point...

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^. That’s the truth and if that is the case it’s just more money spent to achieve what exactly ?

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Maybe my hearing is shot from old age, or from too many years of cranking classic rock, but I have the Type S and like the choice it affords. I agree it's pretty loud at initial start up when cold, but mellows out quickly once it tachs down. As far as a daily driver and the sound goes, it depends on how hard you mash on the pedal. Take it easy and while you know you have an exhaust, it's not over the top. Step on it a little harder and you can hear that "deep V8 growl". Pour the coals to it and you'll have an ear to ear grin every time.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe my hearing is shot from old age, or from too many years of cranking classic rock, but I have the Type S and like the choice it affords. I agree it's pretty loud at initial start up when cold, but mellows out quickly once it tachs down. As far as a daily driver and the sound goes, it depends on how hard you mash on the pedal. Take it easy and while you know you have an exhaust, it's not over the top. Step on it a little harder and you can hear that "deep V8 growl". Pour the coals to it and you'll have an ear to ear grin every time.
This is what I’m looking for and talking about. Forget passengers and what not. Get that deep growl and note.

Ddelallata

Reaction score
I have an S-type on my Laramie and it’s a bit too loud at hwy speeds especially when MDS kicks in. I oredered the resonator last week. I’ll uodate you all on how much it “dampens” the sound after I install it .

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an S-type on my Laramie and it’s a bit too loud at hwy speeds especially when MDS kicks in. I oredered the resonator last week. I’ll uodate you all on how much it “dampens” the sound after I install it .
Please do. With a video comparison. Thanks.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Bad news gents, my go to exhaust shop was too backed up today. Since they do first come first serve, I’ll have to try again on Thursday. :(

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bad news gents, my go to exhaust shop was too backed up today. Since they do first come first serve, I’ll have to try again on Thursday. :(

Pure frustration.

"Today's the day! Hell yeah!"
"Sorry sir we're busy"
"that's alright..." [FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-]

PorBoy

Reaction score
If I had towed my other car, I would have left the truck there for the install..

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had towed my other car, I would have left the truck there for the install..
As many exhaust systems as PorBoy has put on, I would expect his shop to have a bay reserved for him with a velvet rope between brass stands. Sorry to be such an a$$ but I couldn't resist some sarcastic humor. I look forward to your feed back on this new system and read all your comments. I am just an obnoxious jokester. :ROFLMAO: Your truck always looks great in photos and you have great comments.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Reaction score
Lol sadly I’m friends with the owner but I never use the “ friend “ card as I want us to remain as such. I’m also going to pull my current Carven polished tips as they are rusty looking and I’ve only had them on for two weeks. Maybe it’s the Jersey weather that’s doing them in. I’m going to have them polished back to their shine and then put them up for sale asap. When I pull the stock exhaust, I’m going to order a set of oem black exhaust tips to go back onto them. Yes I know I won’t have the stock exhaust on, but just in case I do have to go back, I want that certain look...

cjgerson

Reaction score

I have the S-Type and also think it’s a tad to loud. My truck is currently at the muffler shop getting the Borla resonator installed. I’ll post before and after videos at some point this weekend

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the S-Type and also think it’s a tad to loud. My truck is currently at the muffler shop getting the Borla resonator installed. I’ll post before and after videos at some point this weekend
Awesome. Thanks man. Can’t wait.

Ddelallata

Reaction score
DId you notice a difference with the resonator?

Users who are viewing this thread